WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022-23 Season Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

I just hope all the Carter's are finding enough time to follow AJ's developing NBA career.

I think they'd really enjoy seeing a former teammate have that kind of success.
    If AJ just would've passed him the ****ing ball, we could've had a real star...
    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Valpo made headlines this week for looking to sell paintings in its art collection to help fund dorm renovations:

Valparaiso, a Lutheran university in northwestern Indiana that is struggling with the declining enrollment seen at many schools, is planning to sell several works from the collection of its Brauer Museum of Art to raise $10 million for the renovation of two freshman dormitories, which it sees as key to securing its future. The announcement angered many arts organizations […]

PreCOVID, the “Cliff of 2025” - when the demographics have shown that the number of high school seniors will begin a steep decline - was a common topic at higher ed conferences. I suspect we will be reading more stories like this in the next few years.
      Valpo closed its law school in 18/19 with it finally closing in 19/20. Had nothing to do with Covid. They are just flat ass broke a billion ways to Sunday and were a horrific add.

I don’t know what dirt they had in Elgin and the other presidents in 2016 but the conference ****ed up

Comment

• Well, it was the Drews, right? I don’t recall the whole history, but Valpo had some really good coaching in those years.

Comment

• Ask the A10 about Loyala. Or the AAC about Wichita. They both had a decent run due to a good coach or generational talent, jumped up in conferences, things changed, and they came back to the norm. The MVC did the same with Valpo. Need more of a historical look than what have you done lately.

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post
            Well, it was the Drews, right? I don’t recall the whole history, but Valpo had some really good coaching in those years.
            Valpo was actually a beneficiary of being the team left behind. Everybody left the AMCU and they got good, a bunch of teams left the Horizon and then they got good.

The problem with The Valley is that nobody is going anywhere so they're going to be perpetually stuck at the bottom because there isn't going to be any backfill to be better than.
            #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by FOTY View Post
              Ask the A10 about Loyala. Or the AAC about Wichita. They both had a decent run due to a good coach or generational talent, jumped up in conferences, things changed, and they came back to the norm. The MVC did the same with Valpo. Need more of a historical look than what have you done lately.
              To be fair, that's much easier said than done. The modern world is very "what have you done for me lately," "short term > long term," etc. If you're a conference commissioner, you gotta make those splashy additions that people go "oh yeah they're good" even if they're historically not that good.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

To be fair, that's much easier said than done. The modern world is very "what have you done for me lately," "short term > long term," etc. If you're a conference commissioner, you gotta make those splashy additions that people go "oh yeah they're good" even if they're historically not that good.
                WSU has some history. Granted, there would be a ton of KU fans in Witchita, but they are the only game in town in a city that’s mostly dumpy but does have some money due to all the aeronautical businesses located there. They’re down now, but do have the resources to bounce back. Also, Loyola’s been gone one year. I’d hold off on judgement of both from a new conference having buyer’s remorse perspective. Neither school is Valpo, not by a long shot.

Comment

• The thing about Loyola is a lot of people thought they were a terrible add to the Valley. In 2013, they were basically the exact same as UIC is now - they'd been a terrible basketball program for 20+ years, but they get the Valley into the Chicago market. They had basically one class that propelled them to the A10. At least Wichita has had sustained success. It'll be interesting to see how they move forward.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Wichita fired their coach after going 48-34 in three seasons following Gregg Marshall's departure.

Comment

• Drake draws super overrated Miami. [#]40 on Kenpom.

If Kenpom seeded the field, Miami would be a 10 seed and Indiana would be an 8.

Amazing draw for Drake imo
                      Last edited by not a drake fan; 03-12-2023, 04:18 PM.
                      Yeah, a D+ effort out of me on the day I created the name for this account. I didn't think I would use this account more than once.

Comment

• Originally posted by not a drake fan View Post
                        Drake draws super overrated Miami. [#]40 on Kenpom.

If Kenpom seeded the field, Miami would be a 10 seed and Indiana would be an 8.

Amazing draw for Drake imo
                        Miami won the ACC regular season title, and won something like 10 of their last 11 games prior to getting beat by Duke in the ACC tourney. One thing that may help Drake is their best rebounder rolled an ankle in the Duke game, and is questionable for the first round.

Comment

• Miami has really good, experienced guards. It's a guard's tournament. They would've been better if with any other 5 seed.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• Drake has a tough matchup, but I like their chances better than Iowa’s. Iowa got seeded about where people thought, but they’ve been a terrible road team this year and are playing Auburn in Birmingham, AL.

Comment

• Seeing Drake as a 2.5 point dog, best odds for any of the 12 or 11 seeds.

It is rough that 6 of the 8 Iowa schools make the dance and the two UNI teams were the ones left out. Going to be having a total boycott of local DSM radio for the next two weeks.
                              Last edited by not a drake fan; 03-12-2023, 10:15 PM.
                              Yeah, a D+ effort out of me on the day I created the name for this account. I didn't think I would use this account more than once.

Comment

• Originally posted by not a drake fan View Post
                                Seeing Drake as a 2.5 point dog, best odds for any of the 12 or 11 seeds.

It is rough that 6 of the 8 Iowa schools make the dance and the two UNI teams were the ones left out. Going to be having a total boycott of local DSM radio for the next two weeks.
                                Its not ideal. We gotta find a way back to the tourneys no question.

But realistically, Drake’s run is over, Iowa could cycle back out next year, and Drake WBB wasn't even as good as we were this year. Both our our programs are young and looking very good next year.
                                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Working...
                                X