WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dubuque (exhibition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post
    So what exactly is the deal with Phyfe? Is he on the roster? Out for non-conference with a chance to play in the MVC part of the schedule? Done with basketball all together?
    He's on blood thinners right now. Until he can be off of them, he won't play. He sat with the coaches in sweats last night. I liked that he wasn't down at the end of the bench and was up with the coaches engaged in the game. Hopefully he can find his way off of them and get back to basketball. It sounded like that was the only thing keeping him from the court.
    If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
      It's definitely going to be a growing pain season. One Sr who's not playing and one Jr who hasn't played a ton, the rest of the team is sophomores and freshmen.
      The great thing about college hoops is that a team like us can develop throughout the season and still have a shot in March. It's not like college football where if you lose 2-3 games early on, you're screwed. Our schedule is tough. These guys are going to be tested early and hopefully the learn and develop from that. There's a lot of talent here and I don't expect us to finish in the top 4, but I do know that we're gonna look a lot different in February/March than in November/December.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post

Born
        Campbell
        Heise
        Anderson
        Henry

Duax
        Wolf
        Betz
        Phyfe if cleared, but might retire.
        Courbat

Krogman
        Daniel

redshirt
        Peksari
        Miller
        Jacobsen

Only a guess, though. We clearly look about 6th place without Austin. Even if Austin were healthy I don't think we're better than 4th.
        Can we not? This gets so damn old. Why don't you start your own thread where you can just make lists and lay out complete guesses and projections and entertain yourself?

Also, he's been here TWENTY-TWO years. It's JacobSON and always has been.
        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post

News flash... You might wanna look at the roster, again...
          Umm what? https://unipanthers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Looks like Jacobson to me.
          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

Umm what? https://unipanthers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Looks like Jacobson to me.
            For now

Brock will look again in a few days and get back to us again.

Comment

Nothing too impressive. Outside of born I worry we don’t have a “dog” who can get points when we need them. So many young guys so the frustrating part is that will have to develop over time.

I think Brock is confused You’re all correcting them on spelling and they think you don’t realize his son is playing and you’re correcting them on the 400th edition of lineup projection.

I think……I don’t know how else to make sense of it. Regardless, I’m excited for version 401 after the next game.

Comment

A few of my take aways:
                Bowen - Shots weren't falling but looks fearless out there. Doesn't get flustered and is exactly what you want mentally from a PG
                Nate - Tough shooting night but that will come. Again looks really comfortable in a leadership role. Had a finger or two taped on his hand and wonder if that was impacting his shot
                Betz - Having him able to consistently knock down outside shots is going to be a key for us. Want to see him attack the boards too so that he has a few dimensions to his game.
                Ty - Looked like he wants to be the guy. Drove the lane, hit outside shots, chased rebounds. Should be fun to watch this year... Has to be better than a 50% free throw shooter though because he is going to get fouled
                Trey - He's under a lot of pressure as a true freshman to be able to act as the second PG... showed he can shoot and score but there will be growing pains
                Cole - Has the size and looks to have the skills to be another Tuttle. We could only be so lucky.
                Wolf - Looks like a scorer and will be a great spark off the bench. Going to be fun to watch
                Duax - Has the build but needs some finesse to polish the game a bit. Again another spark off the bench and could be a body to use if we need to get a bit more physical
                Daniel - Get him in the corner and let him shoot. I was pleased with what I saw because I was never expecting to see him with meaningful minutes. He could be someone that could absorb first half minutes for us this year

Too early to tell:
                Krogmann
                Courbat
                Peksari

Redshirt:
                Miller
                Jacobson

Get Phyfe back and the needle moves considerably. Expect to have a bumpy ride though this year Panther fans. We are going to have some ups and downs as these kids learn to lead. The biggest thing is outside of Bowen, who is going to want the ball late in the shot clock now that AJ is gone. The other note is that after Bowen we have Nate and a true freshman as our best ball handlers. If I was an opponent, I would be dialing up the pressure significantly when Bowen was on the bench to try and force turnovers. Not a lot of depth/experience in the PG position.

Comment

Robbie Sieverding has done a great job at Dubuque. He may be content staying close to home but he is good enough to move up.
                  "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Originally posted by domedays View Post
                    Robbie Sieverding has done a great job at Dubuque. He may be content staying close to home but he is good enough to move up.
                    You don't mess with happy. D2 is an entirely different animal and the NSIC is a bear. Can't imagine he'd want to leave the general area.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Bowen didn't have the shot last night, but I am sure this will only bring fire for the next game.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                        Also not sure if anyone saw Jacobson on that last wide open three by Dubuque he got heated for a couple seconds there.
                        Oh ya, he was yelling before that 3 was through the net. He was very frustrated with Michael Duax's defense last night. Said earlier in the week Duax practiced better than he played against Wisconsin, seems that was the case again last night.

Comment

Originally posted by domedays View Post
                          He is and should take a HC D2 job. Many good leagues and schools at that level.

Comment

Can someone post a link to the replay? I was out of the country and unable to tune in until tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
                              Can someone post a link to the replay? I was out of the country and unable to tune in until tomorrow.
                              It's in ESPN+. I think this link should work. https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player...9-5de2a70c691b

Comment

Would be interesting if Peksari is on a redshirt or barely plays this year's schedule and Campbell continues to start. Born and Campbell would be our really only 2 ball handlers at that point.

Born is probably playing 35 in competitive games regardless, but with Heise pushed to the wing where we expect to see minutes from Duax and Wolf, it makes for some interesting minutes out there.

I'm assuming with his length and potential scoring abilities the staff sees Trey as more of a 2 with good wing defensive capabilities than a true point, and with Taylor coming in next year that probably fits the timeline.

Still there are probably going to be times this year where he has to play it this year and could see some growing pains in that area constantly switching roles.

Still very possible he hits 30 mpg by conference play.

Edit: For some reason I keep forgetting we have Henry. He's not a point guard, but he's very effective moving the ball, I can't recite enough how big this guy could be for our potential surprise success this season.
                                Last edited by Username; 11-05-2022, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X