WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 2: Richmond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post

Biggie Goldman, Tray Croft, Adam McDermott, Rafael de Souza, Aarius Austin, Taylor Olson, Nate Buchheit, Kasey Semler, Chris Olivier more than a few times Jake has rolled the dice on transfers and come up empty.
    Which is the case at a lot of schools, especially when you aren't a P6 school. That doesn't mean that they just should stop or not do it because it hasn't worked in the past. I never said I want them to become a MM that just builds through the portal. We've seen that within the MVC and it doesn't work. But like I've stated in this thread, there is zero reason they couldn't bring a grad transfer in when they aren't full on scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by Mill1634 View Post

Which is the case at a lot of schools, especially when you aren't a P6 school. That doesn't mean that they just should stop or not do it because it hasn't worked in the past. I never said I want them to become a MM that just builds through the portal. We've seen that within the MVC and it doesn't work. But like I've stated in this thread, there is zero reason they couldn't bring a grad transfer in when they aren't full on scholarships.
      They didn't find one they felt would be a good fit, so they didn't do it. This isn't hard.

Comment

Not sure about the “Jake isn’t good at it” part. I’m not saying you’re wrong. Just not sure you’re right.
        Our coaches and players have formed a family and a culture. And they did a great job selling that to the incoming guys (2023).
        But UNI isn’t a gold ring destination so I don’t expect Coach Jake to be getting 3 star transfers.
        Especially when during the last transfer period we were hearing that our all-conference big might be back and healthy. So he couldn’t even offer tons of playing time.

Comment

Purple glasses by too many will take this program where the football program is...Farley and Coach Jake are much alike...its there way or no way no matter where the program is going.....what really has the basketball program done in the past 6ish years....even with the best recruit in program history.....this team is not very talented...they have some players yes....should we really have 4 CF kids on roster? We will be mediocore at best if we don't keep up with the times...we will continue to be passed by....one example....Drake

Comment

Originally posted by Alum 99' View Post
            Purple glasses by too many will take this program where the football program is...Farley and Coach Jake are much alike...its there way or no way no matter where the program is going.....what really has the basketball program done in the past 6ish years....even with the best recruit in program history.....this team is not very talented...they have some players yes....should we really have 4 CF kids on roster? We will be mediocore at best if we don't keep up with the times...we will continue to be passed by....one example....Drake
            We have 2 MVC Titles, which doubled the program’s all-time total, played in an Arch Madness title game, played in an NIT, won two MVC POY, 3 1st team All MVC selections, 1 defensive POY, 2 Freshman of the years, 2 coach of the years, and 1 sixth man of the year. And just last week signed another highly touted recruiting class. This all despite a devastating admin, a weak budget, and the crippling affects of the covid season and double hip surgery to our best player.

Other than that, our program has accomplished nothing the last 6 years.
            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

We have 2 MVC Titles, which doubled the program’s all-time total, played in an Arch Madness title game, played in an NIT, won two MVC POY, 3 1st team All MVC selections, 1 defensive POY, 2 Freshman of the years, 2 coach of the years, and 1 sixth man of the year. And just last week signed another highly touted recruiting class. This all despite a devastating admin, a weak budget, and the crippling affects of the covid season and double hip surgery to our best player.

Thank you for this.

Comparing UNI football to UNI basketball is the definition of apples to oranges and is ignorant at best and a bad-faith argument at worst.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

I don't really disagree, but at the same time, winning on the biggest stages are what people want the most. I'd give away every regular season championship we've ever won for a conference tourney title and a run like St Peter's had last year. I'm pretty sure AJ would give away any accolade he won for it too. I don't agree with everything Alum 99 said, but he's not completely wrong either.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by Alum 99' View Post
                  Is this? Is this a real post?

I'd also love to hear a justification for Drake 'passing us by' that doesn't include the number of non-con wins that he buys.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

Thank you for this.

Comparing UNI football to UNI basketball is the definition of apples to oranges and is ignorant at best and a bad-faith argument at worst.
                    I agree. You can count less than 20 students and some conference home basketball games.

maybe if football could get NDSU SD and SDSU to leave conference UNI would be more successful. Like what happened on basketball.
                    Last edited by run&blade; 11-15-2022, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post

I agree. You can count less than 20 students and some conference home basketball games.
                      Yeah - very different than the thousands of students waiting on a wait list to get into UNI football games.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I don't really disagree, but at the same time, winning on the biggest stages are what people want the most. I'd give away every regular season championship we've ever won for a conference tourney title and a run like St Peter's had last year. I'm pretty sure AJ would give away any accolade he won for it too. I don't agree with everything Alum 99 said, but he's not completely wrong either.
                        Again, it is very, very hard to make the tournament as a mid major. We had a tournament caliber team and a tournament worthy resume in 2020. The tournament was cancelled.

2021 was that joke of a season with covid, that was also played without AJ Green.

Last year we won the MVC title and got beat in STL by a great team. We were injured in the non-conf and AJ wasn’t himself yet. Its bad luck. It sucks. But its not program failure. We are doing the things that need to be done to win big.
                        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Man, the 200ish students at the Wartburg game must have really pissed you off last week.

Wait, you're thinking of the games during break aren't you? LOLOLOL. It all makes sense now. Big points for r&b!!
                          #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I hear this, and I understand who someone would think this.

I don't think, in 2022, with declining mid-major bids, we can gauge program success in this way. Yes, we all expect a NCAA berth and run every handful of years or more, but that is a LOT harder today than even a few years ago.

We win a ton of games. We win league titles, which is 1000x's more indicative of program quality than three days in a hockey arena. We have kids winning regular accolades. We are in a position that 2/3 of the league would kill for.

It's not a justification for mediocrity or settling, but I remember sitting in a radio studio, with Gary on line doing a Arch Madness post-game, where we finished around .500, lost in the first round, and though we were ON. OUR. WAY.

We have been in a premium position for a long time, and we still are.

Comment

• You keep counting those students. Without the $10 tickets to the public it would be a wasteland most nights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post

I hear this, and I understand who someone would think this.

I don't think, in 2022, with declining mid-major bids, we can gauge program success in this way. Yes, we all expect a NCAA berth and run every handful of years or more, but that is a LOT harder today than even a few years ago.

We win a ton of games. We win league titles, which is 1000x's more indicative of program quality than three days in a hockey arena. We have kids winning regular accolades. We are in a position that 2/3 of the league would kill for.

It's not a justification for mediocrity or settling, but I remember sitting in a radio studio, with Gary on line doing a Arch Madness post-game, where we finished around .500, lost in the first round, and though we were ON. OUR. WAY.

We have been in a premium position for a long time, and we still are.
                                I'm not saying the last few years have been failures. Between COVID, injuries, and other things beyond our control, we've had a ton of bad luck over the last few years. I'm just saying winning in March beats EVERYTHING.
                                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Working...
                                X