WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 15 - at Valparaiso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by English77 View Post
    Paltry home crowd did not help the Beacons.

Oh, for a loud McLeod crowd on Saturday.
    Valpo's always got my back when I think "gee our fanbase sure isn't that strong." I genuinely feel bad for them a bit.

Comment

Drew Daniels hurt? Didn’t see him on the floor

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
        More talented guys filling those minutes frankly. Wolf played well tonight, and Peksari has earned getting at least a few minutes every night. No real foul trouble left no need for Drew to see the floor. A starting 5 of Born, Heise, Duax, Tytan, and Cole next year is going to be very very good. For all the talk about Jake's recruiting, that's arguably the best starting lineup we've ever had.

Comment

Saturday is gonna be a really good test for this young team, how much have they grown up the past week with these 2 road wins? Southern is gonna bring a similar level of physicality that Missouri State did to the McLeod. I think if they play like they did tonight, should be a really fun night. Domask and Tytan is going to be a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by English77 View Post
            Paltry home crowd did not help the Beacons.

Oh, for a loud McLeod crowd on Saturday.
            We had a surprisingly large crowd for the Bears game but didn't give them much to cheer about. Hopefully we get a similar crowd with better on court results this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

More talented guys filling those minutes frankly. Wolf played well tonight, and Peksari has earned getting at least a few minutes every night. No real foul trouble left no need for Drew to see the floor. A starting 5 of Born, Heise, Duax, Tytan, and Cole next year is going to be very very good. For all the talk about Jake's recruiting, that's arguably the best starting lineup we've ever had.
              Ok that is……pushing it.

Comment

Great to see Duax starting to break out. What a huge play by the freshman when we were on the verge of giving away another one we controlled for most of the game.

Another guy who is really starting to look like a player is Cole Henry. Slowly emerging as a legit post presence and can pass pretty well too.

Where would we be without Ty Anderson? Makes me wonder if he really improved this much in the offseason or just didnt really have an opportunity before due to the depth of talent on the roster last year. Pretty nuts to see how far he’s come.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
                  Drew played about three minutes in the first half with no stats. Great Panthers win tonight ahead of a tough Saluki game Saturday. They held Drake to their second straight 49-point performance.

Comment

That lineup wouldn’t even crack the top 5. If you were talking about pure athleticism, maybe. 3 of those guys struggle to make a basket anywhere outside the paint. I’m todays game you have to be able to spread the floor a bit more. If duax can work on extending his range with some consistency tho…….sky is the limit for that kid. His motor and iq are top notch.

Comment

Yeah, I like this team a lot, but I mean, we did have a team that was a literal top-10 team, with a consensus second team All-American.

Comment

A starting 5 of Born, Heise, Duax, Tytan, and Cole next year is going to be very very good. For all the talk about Jake's recruiting, that's arguably the best starting lineup we've ever had.
                        I have an Excel doc on this, there is some history that suggests UNI will in fact take a big jump.

There have been 5 years under Jake when UNI returned 75% or more of it's minutes and points scored. On average UNI improved by 67 Kenpom spots [from the previous year] in those years. Right now UNI sits at [#]180, so a 67 spot jump won't turn UNI into a bona fide contender, but you can make an argument that more should be expected.

First of all, UNI on paper has a chance to return 100% of its minutes and points. UNI has never done that. Let me slow my roll for a minute and point out that we shouldn't put anything in stone these days, any of these guys could be somewhere else next year (recruits included). But UNI will almost certainly bring a ton back.

Second, if you consider that UNI has a chance to not only bring everyone back, but also add one or two major contributors from prior years (Heise/Phyfe) and you're talking about a situation that most closely resembles the 2021-2022 team that jumped all the way from [#]177 to [#49]. A 128 spot jump is a lot to ask, but should UNI be in the top 80 or so at least? Yeah history suggests that will happen.

So not to toot my own horn but the chart I made on this and posted last year has been pretty spot on. The simple minutes/points model projected that if UNI lost Burhow and Pickford only, UNI would be [#60] this year. If they also lost AJ, they'd be [#122]. Had I included all the guys that UNI actually lost, the model would have projected UNI to finish at [#184]. They are currently [#181].
                        Last edited by not a drake fan; 01-05-2023, 07:37 AM.
                        Yeah, a D+ effort out of me on the day I created the name for this account. I didn't think I would use this account more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
                          Great to see Duax starting to break out. What a huge play by the freshman when we were on the verge of giving away another one we controlled for most of the game.

Another guy who is really starting to look like a player is Cole Henry. Slowly emerging as a legit post presence and can pass pretty well too.

Where would we be without Ty Anderson? Makes me wonder if he really improved this much in the offseason or just didnt really have an opportunity before due to the depth of talent on the roster last year. Pretty nuts to see how far he’s come.
                          60 hours a week between the gym and weight room to get stronger. Kid put in the work and not only is he going to be Most Improved in the league, he's going to be on one of the all league teams. He's getting into that territory of guys that Jake points to as being what UNI Basketball is. 'It takes what it takes'

We would not have won that game a month ago and probably would've lost by double digits. We would've relaxed after the big start and not weathered the Valpo run at the end of the first half at all. Would've gone in down and played from behind and never gotten back over the top to get a lead. Is Valpo good? No, they're not but a league road win coming off a league road win is HUGE for a team this young.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Sorry about the long post above. Follow up, do we realize that UNI lost 95 percent of their minutes from last year? I'm surprised by that number as I look at it now.

The ones we knew, Burhow and Pickford, but also AJ, Carter, Pickford, and Heise.

Hopefully this turnover is more of an outlier than a sign of things to come, but it's evidence that people need to relax a little bit and have some patience with this group. They are right on track this year with where they should be, and I think they may finish in a better spot than they are at now.
                            Yeah, a D+ effort out of me on the day I created the name for this account. I didn't think I would use this account more than once.

Comment

We sure tried to give it away, but a win is a win. Duax was a machine last night. If he gets some consistency shooting the three, he is going to absolutely be that 3rd scoring option for the team.

Betz and Henry played well last night, however, as I was watching the game last night, all I could think about was how well Krikke would fit this team. He played really well last night, but I've really liked his game the last couple years. Henry had some nice possessions on offense, and I like that he's been more aggressive going to the hoop. Krikke kind of chewed him up going 1:1, though, and that's going to be Cole's biggest hurdle going forward outside of shooting.

Great win and on to a tough one this weekend. Hopefully we have a great crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by not a drake fan View Post
                                Sorry about the long post above. Follow up, do we realize that UNI lost 95 percent of their minutes from last year? I'm surprised by that number as I look at it now.

The ones we knew, Burhow and Pickford, but also AJ, Carter, Pickford, and Heise.

Hopefully this turnover is more of an outlier than a sign of things to come, but it's evidence that people need to relax a little bit and have some patience with this group. They are right on track this year with where they should be, and I think they may finish in a better spot than they are at now.
                                Lost Phyfe's 10-20 minutes per game too.

Comment

Working...
                                X