WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 31 - Arch Madness Round 2 vs Bradley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be shocked if it isn't Porter at Notre Dame.

Darian would have to be on Oklahoma's list after the success they've had in WBB after hiring Baranczyk from Drake.
    #MACtion

Comment

• What is the Porter-Notre Dame connection?

Been barely .500 for two seasons at OU.

Comment

• Originally posted by MVCBeat View Post
        What is the Porter-Notre Dame connection?

Been barely .500 for two seasons at OU.
        He's a devout Catholic that grew up in Chicago that won big at a Jesuit institution after being Rick Majerus's right hand man at another prominent midwestern Jesuit institution.

Notre Dame isn't going to care at all about his time at OU.
        #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by skydog0784 View Post

As an Iowa fan too, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, not going to happen. Fran is almost 64 years old with no meaningful post-season success (aside from last year's BTT championship and an NIT run to the championship many years ago). He's never been to the second round in the Big Dance - ever in his entire career.
          I remind my hawkeye friends of this all the time that he has done so little with so much!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by iron panther View Post

I remind my hawkeye friends of this all the time that he has done so little with so much!!!
            Yes, I'm not a fan and am ready to move on. I'll give him credit for bringing the program back from the Lickliter disaster but it's time to move on. Great, relentless recruiter; exceptional offensive mind and sets; his players are loyal to him; and consistent, upper-level B1G finishes and NCAA tournament appearances.

However, his defense approach is atrocious - especially on the perimeter; little post-season success; no B1G regular season championship; never has been to the sweet 16 in his entire career; prone to embarassing meltdowns; and plays his son's over more deserving players way too much.

Unfortunately, I think he's at IA thru his current 2029 contract. That will allow him to coach his youngest son Jack through graduation at which point he'll be 70 years old.

Comment

Drake has done more under Devries, it seems, than every other coach since Maury John combined. It’s absolutely remarkable what he has done when so many others have tried and failed. Feels like he is more of a builder type guy and would be a good fit in the Big East. DePaul or something.
              That’s probably correct. Drake had Keno’s one year, Niko’s one year which was decent but not as good as Keno’s, and a couple of decent teams under Bob Ortegel back in the late ‘70s / early 80s. I’m probably missing a couple of other decent teams here and there, but overall it’s been pretty lackluster. It seems like Devries has gotten more of a commitment to winning from the Drake leadership than many of his predecessors, which obviously helps. I don’t see DePaul being a good fit, although he or someone else on his staff have recruiting ties to the Chicagoland area. He’s gotten some players from the suburbs, especially the NW Indiana suburbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

That’s probably correct. Drake had Keno’s one year, Niko’s one year which was decent but not as good as Keno’s, and a couple of decent teams under Bob Ortegel back in the late ‘70s / early 80s. I’m probably missing a couple of other decent teams here and there, but overall it’s been pretty lackluster. It seems like Devries has gotten more of a commitment to winning from the Drake leadership than many of his predecessors, which obviously helps. I don’t see DePaul being a good fit, although he or someone else on his staff have recruiting ties to the Chicagoland area. He’s gotten some players from the suburbs, especially the NW Indiana suburbs.
                Hard to see DePaul as an upgrade. You'd have to live in the Chicago area and you've got a school with a basketball history that is so old that I barely remember them being relevant. Hard to see that being a great fit given he hasn't chased jobs in the past and certainly is setting himself up to have better opportunities than that one.
                If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• You'd have to live in the Chicago area
                  I mean it's not like Depaul is in the middle of the South Side or anything (which also isn't as bad as people say, but that's neither here nor there), it's on the North Side, it's one L station away from a douchey hotel I stayed at last year, two or three L stations away from Wrigleyville. Hell the campus is apparently two blocks away from a restaurant called Bourgeois Pig Cafe​, a cafe that apparently has the unmitigated gall to serve a 15 dollar panini.

Comment

• I really think people don't remember how bad Iowa basketball was with Lickliter. Fran is embarrassing on the sidelines and can drive you crazy as a fan, but I think it's kind of crazy to just wish him away as a fanbase. I don't necessarily agree with the "done so little with so much" comment either. Garza was not a highly sought after recruit. Fran recruited him and helped him become the player he is. Same with the Murray boys. Iowa's biggest problem come tournament time has always been their lack of athletes for the system they play. They play faster than just about anyone, but don't actually have the guys that can keep up with the speed of other teams. They just shoot it better. If they aren't shooting great, they are doomed. We have seen that a few times this year as well. Losing to teams they shouldn't because they couldn't shoot on a given night.

I get the frustration with Fran, and I'm not a Fran loyalist by any means, but I would just be careful what you wish for on their end.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
                      I really think people don't remember how bad Iowa basketball was with Lickliter. Fran is embarrassing on the sidelines and can drive you crazy as a fan, but I think it's kind of crazy to just wish him away as a fanbase. I don't necessarily agree with the "done so little with so much" comment either. Garza was not a highly sought after recruit. Fran recruited him and helped him become the player he is. Same with the Murray boys. Iowa's biggest problem come tournament time has always been their lack of athletes for the system they play. They play faster than just about anyone, but don't actually have the guys that can keep up with the speed of other teams. They just shoot it better. If they aren't shooting great, they are doomed. We have seen that a few times this year as well. Losing to teams they shouldn't because they couldn't shoot on a given night.

I get the frustration with Fran, and I'm not a Fran loyalist by any means, but I would just be careful what you wish for on their end.
                      I actually don’t give a single F about what Iowa does and I am rooting for the absolute worst for them. If you are looking for Iowa analysis and Fran supporters on this board, you are gravely mistaken.
                      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• HA! I'm not looking for Fran supporters. Just making a general statement about what Iowa basketball could become in the event of some sort of change. I don't care either, just to be clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Yeah I completely pulled DePaul out of my butt just thinking of a private school who has a history of success but has been garbage lately. You'd think they'd look at what he did at Drake and think "Why not try it here?"

But I have no actual reason to believe that would happen. Completely made up in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

I mean it's not like Depaul is in the middle of the South Side or anything (which also isn't as bad as people say, but that's neither here nor there), it's on the North Side, it's one L station away from a douchey hotel I stayed at last year, two or three L stations away from Wrigleyville. Hell the campus is apparently two blocks away from a restaurant called Bourgeois Pig Cafe​, a cafe that apparently has the unmitigated gall to serve a 15 dollar panini.
                            Yeah I had some pause with that line too. DePaul is in a very, very, nice, boushie area. Lincoln Park is a very fun place to be. I get if you just aren't a city person and prefer a small town. But if you want to live in a city, and you can afford it (as I assume the head coach of DePaul could), you can't do much better than Lincoln Park in Chicago.

Comment

Yeah I had some pause with that line too. DePaul is in a very, very, nice, boushie area. Lincoln Park is a very fun place to be. I get if you just aren't a city person and prefer a small town. But if you want to live in a city, and you can afford it (as I assume the head coach of DePaul could), you can't do much better than Lincoln Park in Chicago.
                              As a city person and former Lincoln Park resident, Chicago is an awesome place to live. I wouldn’t trade my 18 years there for anything. To each their own when it comes to living preferences.

If you look at a few Drake rosters in Devries’ time there, he’s really mined the NW Indiana suburbs for talent. Off the top of my head, Wilkens and (close - Calumet City) Penn from this years’ team, both Murphy brothers, all from that area. There were others too. Then there were other kids who were from other Chicago suburban areas, including Ferguson and Enright. He’s doing something right in that geography.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
                                I really think people don't remember how bad Iowa basketball was with Lickliter. Fran is embarrassing on the sidelines and can drive you crazy as a fan, but I think it's kind of crazy to just wish him away as a fanbase. I don't necessarily agree with the "done so little with so much" comment either. Garza was not a highly sought after recruit. Fran recruited him and helped him become the player he is. Same with the Murray boys. Iowa's biggest problem come tournament time has always been their lack of athletes for the system they play. They play faster than just about anyone, but don't actually have the guys that can keep up with the speed of other teams. They just shoot it better. If they aren't shooting great, they are doomed. We have seen that a few times this year as well. Losing to teams they shouldn't because they couldn't shoot on a given night.

I would argue that it's not because of the lack of athletes, it's because the players aren't prepared. He's shown he can can recruit and he can develop players, but he hasn't shown that he can prep for an opponent on short notice or that he doesn't know much about. 6 trips to the NCAA tournament in 11 years with Iowa (not counting 2020 COVID and this year) and zero Sweet Sixteens. 3 of those 6 years they lost by 15+, including when they were a 2 seed against a 7 seed. They really haven't played that great in the Big Ten tourney either. Sure they won it last year, but prior to that his teams have only made the semi's once in 10 years. I have a hard time saying he's a great coach, they just lost because they didn't make shots. Every team has to make shots to win. Even if the problem is that they doesn't have enough athleticism (which I don't completely agree with), he should still be the person to blame because he's the one who recruited everybody.

This might be a controversial opinion, but they're also playing in arguably the best conference in the country. They only need to go .500 to get in to the tourney, getting in should almost be expected fairly regularly. They should be battle tested all year with the teams they play - a Sweet Sixteen shouldn't be as big of a deal to them as it is to mid-majors. As a Big Ten team, he's a great coach if the goal is to get in the tourney, but at some point, at that level, you need to win in the tourney.
                                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Working...
                                X