WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 25 - Feb 11 - at UIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QCPanther05 View Post

Why does Jake obviously stay?
    The $5M buyout.
    #MACtion

Comment

Well, like it or not you can forget about Jake being bought out, so you can choose to support the program and hope for the best or just scream into the void online for several years.

We need some changes immediately in regards to recruiting and the portal.

Just went to point out that UNI currently has the MVCs all time wins leaders coaching their MBB, FB, VB, and [soon] WBB teams. That does not include our wrestling and softball programs which also have great coaches. Isn't that nuts? That's crazy for a mid major program. Show another program, ever, in the history of college sports, who can say they have that.

We are lucky that we had them to guide us through these last eight years while our athletic department was a complete dumpster fire. Imagine how these last 8 years would have been had we not had great coaches covering up a lot of our underlying problems. Yes I am frustrated by so many things, but I don't care how great of a coach you are, you need institutional support.

​​​ We are in deep here folks, but our only way thru this mess is forward.

Edit: I see there was already a response about the buyout. Would not have gone on the rant had I seen that.
      Last edited by nadf; 02-11-2024, 11:15 PM.

Comment

RJ Taylor no minutes and not listed. Is he sick?

Bowen is an A level scorer (except lately not scoring). But he doesn’t seem to be a high level drive and dish guy. I think we need some RJ minutes if Bowen isn’t going to get things right.

Still planning to go to St Louis…

Comment

Coach Jake has earned the right to go out on his own terms. He's the winningest UNI coach & holds the record for MVC wins.

We can not afford a buyout.

We have a new Athletic Director coming in. Let that AD make the decision when they have been in place.

Comment

Not to kick a hornets nest or anything, but the all time wins distinction is a bit of a double edged sword, no? That doesn't necessarily mean we have the best coaches. It means we have coaches who are comfortable being here and have either not sought out higher profile jobs or missed out on them. It also implies that the athletic department is comfortable or doesn't have the finances necessary to move on if things get stale. I think it's pretty obvious things have gotten stale in a few of our sports.

I want to be clear that I'm not implying our coaches are bad. I do think we are fortunate, but I also think it's a bit misleading to pretend we are the gold standard in retaining coaches or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post

It starts with coaching. Obviously Jake stays and Id keep Tuttle. Because, you know... but everyone else, thanks for your work. We're moving on.
              Why keep Tuttle, yes he was a great player for us, but coaching-wise meh. I am not calling for him to be fired here, more of a why does he get a pass that the other assistants aren't.

I will say I think we are missing Kyle Green more then we realize. KG wasn't going to get a head coaching job at this level because he doesn't necessarily have the personality for it. But I also think that we are missing that honesty he would have brought and along with it some mental toughness and discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post

Why keep Tuttle, yes he was a great player for us, but coaching-wise meh. I am not calling for him to be fired here, more of a why does he get a pass that the other assistants aren't.

I will say I think we are missing Kyle Green more then we realize. KG wasn't going to get a head coaching job at this level because he doesn't necessarily have the personality for it. But I also think that we are missing that honesty he would have brought and along with it some mental toughness and discipline.
                I like Tut on the staff. I think he's a great recruiting tool and he can really relate to these younger kids, plus he's a UNI die hard and has a high basketball IQ. That being said, are we recruiting the right guys? We'll see what this class brings, I think Pock is a stud, I think Rubin will be good, RJ? I don't know. I feel like his size really limits him, plus he's not a great shooter. I still think we need more athleticism. I was watching a MAAC game last week and these schools have kids who can get to the rim and finish a hell of a lot better than anybody we've had in years. I just don't understand why we don't recruit those types of players.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

There was a conversation once on a NFL program that seems to touches on this BB conversation. The NFL conversation discussed team performance and the head coaches' player selection process. The discussion focused on coaches selection of players with high (moral) character vs low character. The examples used were Tony Dungy & Mike Tomlin as coaches focused in on prioritizing high character vs athletic ability. Marvin Lewis was listed a coach that was willing to overlook character flaws (think PacMan Jones). The NFL panel was arguing for the high character process, stating the value of mutual sacrifice on behalf of team/teammates outweighed raw athletic ability of individual players.

I think Coach Jake is a high character coach. (Maybe to a fault?) The problem is that the recruiting process is more even than the NFL, or even than the previous college landscape. High character players with ability would previously drift to somewhere like Duke, Gonzaga, Notre Dame and the like. We would get some that leaked out. NIL has scrambled this equation, in my view. Unfortunately, we are a "have not" vis-a-vis NIL.

Unfortunately, we are now in the same situation that SIU with Chris Lowery.

My opinion - that and $3.00 will get me a soda.

Comment

Shooting percentages - us 42, 19, 62. Them - 51, 41, 83. We need strong percentages from outside to win. We don't have the quickness to score in other ways. Born and Pock each going 1-6 from deep means an agonizing 40-minute watch. Turnovers were about even. 6 blocks by them. Nice to see Nate back to 7-8 from the line. He is better than 0-4 from the arc. With Tytan getting so many free-throws, we desperately need him to shoot them better. Not helping our points-per-possession/efficiency rating. Based off last year, I am surprised that Duax is not making more of an impact now.

Comment

Eh, we're not in Lowery territory. Jake isn't 10 games under .500 and destroying our APR at the same time.

It's all recruiting philosophy. We just flat don't take any chances. We've got a team full of high floor/low ceiling kids that kind of are what they are when they walk on campus that just flat don't have the natural ability to get much better over time and that's where running the same roster back over and over kills us.

I'm kind of at the point where not every kid we recruit needs to have a 3.75 GPA and come from a relatively affluent suburban home. We don't have a single kid on our roster that has ever wanted for anything. A kid that's faced some adversity somewhere in life might bring a new dimension to us.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar2 View Post

We're playing Thursday. If we don't get it together it will end on Thursday too.
                        I hear you. A fourth place finish playing ISU spells no chance at the MVC tournament championship IMO. I think we’d have a puncher’s chance against Drake.
                        Last edited by skydog0784; 02-12-2024, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Even with a miracle 6 game winning streak we're the 4 seed at best. I think we only beat Valpo twice and win Thursday in AM. So,we would finish up, 16-17. Sigh...

Last edited by BrockLesnar2; 02-12-2024, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skydog0784 View Post

I hear you. A fourth place finish playing ISU spells no chance at the MVC tournament championship IMO. I think we’d have a puncher’s chance against Drake.
                            If we're not going to get a bye, I'd much rather be the 6 or 7 than the 5. I have zero desire to see SIU in (basically) back to back games.

It's ridiculous that we're in this spot, fwiw.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post

Why keep Tuttle,
                              Do you know who his father in law is?
                              Do you know how many chairs court side said father in law purchases?

I don't know if the check book would freeze up or not. Can't afford to roll those dice.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                                Eh, we're not in Lowery territory. Jake isn't 10 games under .500 and destroying our APR at the same time.

It's all recruiting philosophy. We just flat don't take any chances. We've got a team full of high floor/low ceiling kids that kind of are what they are when they walk on campus that just flat don't have the natural ability to get much better over time and that's where running the same roster back over and over kills us.

I'm kind of at the point where not every kid we recruit needs to have a 3.75 GPA and come from a relatively affluent suburban home. We don't have a single kid on our roster that has ever wanted for anything. A kid that's faced some adversity somewhere in life might bring a new dimension to us.
                                Absolutely spot on.
                                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Working...
                                X