WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Offseason

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by clenz View Post

    We haven't had transfers out the last few years. We were the one program that always avoided the transfer issue.

    How could the staff create a record of doing that to "build confidence"?

    Going into this past season the running joke I went with "Good news: everyone is bad. Bad news: every one that is back finished in 8th place the year before"

    There hasn't been the ability to rebuild a roster - for better or worse.

    I get this is new to this program, but stop freaking out and going "what is wrong?" "what is happening" "is Jake leaving" (as I've seen elsewhere). We were the one program that had avoided any transfer-related shifts.

    This program had got stale, and having AJ for a few years hid that. This is a chance for Jake, and crew, to hit a bit of a reset.

    I think UNI fans, even those outside, are going to be in for a bit of a wake-up call for where this roster truly has gotten to when we start to see where anyone that is leaving right now, outside of Heise, actually ends up and how they perform there.

    I don't think we see many/any "go up" so to speak.
    I wasn't freaking out but getting 5 in 24 hours is startling/unexpected for our program. No one can argue that.

    Let us see what the roster looks like at the start of next season. It is definitely possible one or more comes back also. but it is certainly a time when no one hear has any idea what the roster will look like.

    Comment


    • I'm interested to see what happens as the NCAA and NIT tournaments get in full swing. I would imagine that many prospects to fill these roles will come from teams in these tournaments.

      Comment


      • [QUOTE=My biggest fear is that Jake replaces the guys that left with the exact same type of player [/QUOTE]

        Didn't Hutty check off most all of our usual boxes? (Obviously he was one of our former HS recruits.)

        Comment


        • Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

          I wasn't freaking out but getting 5 in 24 hours is startling/unexpected for our program. No one can argue that.

          Let us see what the roster looks like at the start of next season. It is definitely possible one or more comes back also. but it is certainly a time when no one hear has any idea what the roster will look like.
          It shouldn’t be though. The fact we went as long as we did before it hit is like is now is what should be the startling thing. We aren’t special as a program to think it wasn’t going happen here.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post

            Didn't Hutty check off most all of our usual boxes? (Obviously he was one of our former HS recruits.)
            Hutty was a significant upgrade at the post position for us. We had Phyfe for basically 1 full healthy season, but otherwise we haven't had a post with his ability since Bennett Koch.

            Comment


            • As a player, having limited playing time when you're Heise (33mpg) and Wolf(13mpg) is tough. And knowing that Rubin and Hornseth will take some more next year.

              If it's because we're winning, that's one thing. But we lost some head scratchers. That has to be frustrating.

              Comment


              • Some of you forget very quickly what we had and some of those things are what you are asking for.
                UNI plays at a level that you have to get a couple guys to develop into the top of your conference type guys and fill around them with developing role players and that can be planned out 2-3 years out. When something happens that removes that top end player, we will not be at the full potential. At our mid-major level, it's hard to pivot quickly when something doesn't work out. Iowa State can pull someone in quickly from the transfer portal but mid-majors can't do that 90% of the time.

                Phyfe - Losing Phyfe really killed UNI basketball for many years. He was a guy to build around with AJ and then possibly Antwan and then Born
                Tray Croft - had potential to be the scorer quick guard that everyone wants but that didn't work out here.
                The 19-20 season ended weirdly because of covid.
                Antwan Kimmons - could have been the quick guard that could score left because of some tough circumstances at home. AJ then has to play a bunch more point guard because of this and kind of put him out of position.
                Noah Carter - leaves which hurt us a ton. I think if Phyfe plays, Noah doesn't have to play so out of position which helps him and the team.

                We had guys that were recruited here to fill certain roles but some bad luck and some home situations caused the team to not reach it's full potential.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by krusej23 View Post
                  When something happens that removes that top end player, we will not be at the full potential. At our mid-major level, it's hard to pivot quickly when something doesn't work out. Iowa State can pull someone in quickly from the transfer portal but mid-majors can't do that 90% of the time.
                  The better teams in the MVC have been good at playing the portal. Both Drake and Bradley had key guys this year who were portal adds. Pretty sure Indiana State did as well. Their team chemistry didn’t suddenly fall apart, and the incoming players didn’t go rob banks. To say that quality mid major teams can’t significantly and consistently help themselves in the portal is incorrect.

                  Comment


                  • The one I'm a little concerned about now is Campbell. Like Duax, Wolf, and Heise, he has 2 years of competition left and will be attractive to teams needing a solid PG. I wouldn't have been as worried since he's a 'hometown' kid, but so is Wolf. I know Wolf was frustrated by playing time and maybe he can transfer down in D-I and get playing time, he could also be someone who could go to a team where he isn't being asked to do as much defensively which is NOT a strength of his.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

                      The better teams in the MVC have been good at playing the portal. Both Drake and Bradley had key guys this year who were portal adds. Pretty sure Indiana State did as well. Their team chemistry didn’t suddenly fall apart, and the incoming players didn’t go rob banks. To say that quality mid major teams can’t significantly and consistently help themselves in the portal is incorrect.
                      Drake had Tucker to recruit transfers recently. We didn't have that kind of guy this year or last year but still got Hutson from mid major to mid major. I didn't say mid majors can't help themselves in the portal. I'm saying quality transfers don't come around to a mid major team without something to entice them unlike a team like Iowa State that has the big 12 and much better facilities to recruit transfers with.

                      Comment


                      • Even with a first round loss Darren and Tucker could be gone. Then Drake goes from pre season champions to just another team.

                        Comment


                        • Darian has been connection connected to West Virginia as well with, ironically, Niko Merced.

                          West Virginia is the better job but I think you can win at Okie Lite too.
                          #MACtion

                          Comment




                          • First contact I've seen. 2 years left.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                              Darian has been connection connected to West Virginia as well with, ironically, Niko Merced.

                              West Virginia is the better job but I think you can win at Okie Lite too.
                              I don't want to live at either of those places but I really don't want to live in WV lol

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

                                I don't want to live at either of those places but I really don't want to live in WV lol
                                Stillwater is an interesting place.

                                Never been to Morgantown.
                                ​​​​​
                                Winning is more fun than losing.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X