WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dan Steele is resigning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Steele is resigning...

Do become the associate head coach at ISU.

Tweet:
    @UNIAthletics: @CoachDanSteele has resigned as head coach at UNI to take over as associate head coach at Iowa State.

Re: Dan Steele is resigning...

I don't follow the Track/XC teams super close, but I had worked with Dan on a few occasions, and he had seemed like a very nice guy, and he really did care about the athletes being students first.
    However... it would be an understatement to say that we've seen a dropoff in quality of the program since Bucknam left. Who knows if Steele is to fault for that, but it seems like since he left, our men's and women's teams haven't even been in contention for conference titles.
    But again, not a track/XC expert, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Comment

I agree, since Bucky left the programs have been on the decline, saw a tweet that something about Steele leading UNI to new heights and I kind of laughed. It will be interesting who we could get, UNI isn't exactly they greatest place to be a track coach.

Comment

Who are even viable options? Any UNI alums coaching D1?
        The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Well I doubt we can get Woody away from Iowa.

Comment

What killed the track program was Goepfort taking the job for a year and then quitting. They had a very attractive opening when Bucky left and Goepfort killed it. If he didn't want to run a program, he needed to go with Bucky up front.
            #MACtion

Comment

I'd like to see former UNI Panther, Burke Bockman take the job. He was the Associate Head Coach for the Utah Utes for several years. I think he is coaching in Washington now.

Comment

Do we think Steele was kind of pushed out?

Seemed like a good guy and a decent coach, but the entire program undoubtably had dropped off tremendously from what it was.
                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  What killed the track program was Goepfort taking the job for a year and then quitting. They had a very attractive opening when Bucky left and Goepfort killed it. If he didn't want to run a program, he needed to go with Bucky up front.
                  I knew a few guys on the team a few years ago, and they said the same thing... Bucknam leaving was frustrating but understandable (a la coach McDermott). But Goepfort coming and going so fast was a killer, and it sounded like that really didn't sit well with most associated with the athletic department.

As much as the program has fallen since Steele came, there is at least some of the blame that can be placed on the situation he was put into.

Comment

Looks like Dave Paulsen has been named Interim Head Coach for this season. Dave has excellent experience as both a UNI athlete and as an assistant coach under Steele.
                    Dave is a competitor (I still remember him puking into a trashcan after running his first indoor 600 at Iowa St when he was a freshman ) and hopefully he can keep the competitive spirit alive through this coming season until a permanent head coach can be named for the 2016 season.
                    Unfortunately the reality of having a situation of coaching uncertainty will likely hurt the program even more when it comes to recruiting. I wish Dave the best of luck.

Comment

It would be vastly unrealistic to hope for anyone to come in and return us to the place where Bucknam had us. All I would like to see is a coach who at least brings in good enough recruits to make us a title contender on a regular basis, and win us some MVC crowns every few years. Right now I feel like the rest of the conference can't even take us seriously.

Comment

Working...
                      X