WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter is a really good recruiter, he's an unmitigated disaster on the bench, but he's a really good recruiter.
    #MACtion

Comment

• I read an article on Griffin signing with ISU. He discussed how Prohm has been there since day 1, and has really shown that they wanted him. I hope Tyrese recognizes which school has been there from day one for him. As opposed to The Minnesota's who throw him an offer to pressure another player or after other targets passed them over. Obviously a lot of exciting things about playing in the Big 10 and 12 but Haliburton and Green are a pretty good foundations for exciting things at UNI.
      "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

• Originally posted by domedays View Post
        I read an article on Griffin signing with ISU. He discussed how Prohm has been there since day 1, and has really shown that they wanted him. I hope Tyrese recognizes which school has been there from day one for him. As opposed to The Minnesota's who throw him an offer to pressure another player or after other targets passed them over. Obviously a lot of exciting things about playing in the Big 10 and 12 but Haliburton and Green are a pretty good foundations for exciting things at UNI.
        On a somewhat related note to who has been there recruiting a player since Day 1 and not chasing the biggest offer, the new transfer rules that are being discussed could cause major issues for a program like UNI. The rules being discussed would allow a player to transfer and not sit out a year if they have met certain academic standards. For a school like UNI and most mid-majors who have to get in early on recruits and spend a lot of time recruiting, there could be serious implications if this is approved.

I'm not saying this would ever happen, but let's use Pickford for this conversation. UNI recruited him hard when most schools backed off after his knee injury. UNI finally gets him to commit, but I believe the same day he committed or the day before he committed that Michigan St. reached out to him. Say Pickford has 2 really good years at UNI, what is to stop Michigan St. from getting in touch with him through "back channels" and selling him on playing in the B1G his final two years? Michigan St. would then get a player they have seen compete against college level talent, is acclimated to college/academic life and is already developed and ready to play right away vs. taking on a potentially unknown incoming freshman. UNI is now sent back to the drawing board and the recruiting trail to try and find a replacement to a guy they have spent 3-4 years recruiting and then developing.

Additionally, these P5 schools could say to a player we don't have a spot for you in this year's class or you are going to have to redshirt if you if come here, but why don't you go to XYZ school for a year and play and then we'll have spot for you to transfer in next year. It could almost make mid-majors like JUCO and prep schools, except guys are going to mid-majors to wouldn't be doing it to get their academics in line. They would be going to work on their game for a year or two until the next opportunity opened up.

Sure this could work the other way as players in P5 conferences get recruited over or lose playing time and transfer down to mid-major, but all this is doing is stacking more talent in the P5 conferences and those that couldn't cut it are now going down to mid-majors.

IMO, money has ruined college football and has really hurt college basketball due to conference realignment. If this transfer rule would ever get approved, the rich will only get richer.

Comment

• Haliburton shows two crystal balls for Minnesota http://247sports.com/PlayerInstituti...ertPredictions

Comment

• That's why its incumbent upon programs that get these players to win, kids aren't going to leave somewhere where they are having success and seeing results.

The programs in the league that have been hit hardest by transfers out are programs that you could see it coming for different reasons and neither of those is a concern here. Illinois State gets poached because they don't recruit the highest character kids in the world and those kids are more easily influenced by the outside voices and reading their press clippings. notice their highest character guy from the last few years (Paris Lee) stuck it out and tried to get them there and didn't take the easy way out. Drake got raided because they were flat terrible. If I'm Joey King or Rayvonte Rice, I might as well go play for a bad team in a P5 league and get to experience some of the iconic arenas rather than playing for a bad team in Terre Haute on a Tuesday night in January.

We haven't gotten hit by the transfer bug because Jake is genuine, our building is generally full (yes, we know it could be better), the culture is rock solid in the program and we win more than we lose.
            #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by enkamania View Post
              Haliburton shows two crystal balls for Minnesota http://247sports.com/PlayerInstituti...ertPredictions
              And yesterday it was all Iowa State, and before that it was all UNI. I wouldn't try to put too much stock into it.

Comment

• I've seen these new transfer rules, and I agree with BC. I don't think we will be hit too hard, haven't been so far. We've been pretty darn net positive on the transfer thing, all things considered. If we're winning (which we probably will), and the players stay happy with the coaches and with each other, and we keep recruiting the people that we do (good players, better people), I don't think we'll get too much of a difference of the current day.

I can see the "stash 'em in a mid major" strategy, similar to what exists today at JUCO (and that UNI is 100% guilty of doing), but honestly, I don't see Jacobson playing ball with a deal like that, unless the kid played in the High School All Star game. Jacobson is absolutely the kind of guy who goes after kids who would actually want to play here, not use the program as a stepping stone.

Comment

• These rules also wouldn't go into play until 2021 at the earliest, and the longer this drags out the later it will go into play, if at all.

I think it's more likely the NBA does away with the 1 year out of HS rule and adopts a baseball approach. Go from HS or go to college, but if you go to college it's for a minimum of 2, maybe 3, years. That will cut down on transfers simply because kids will be forced to be in a program longer, which means less spots open up for transfers.

Comment

• Proud 4 our very own @Riley_Aber w/visits from Northern Iowa & Richmond thisweek & ✈ 2 Richmond4 official visit 2day!
                    #LoveWhoLovesYou https://t.co/bZiqDYtCVO

It not 100% sure what this means, but I'm guessing we (and Richmond) went down to visit Abercrombie this week, and he's visiting Richmond today.
                    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Richmond and UNI looked like the best teams on his list of offers. Tim Floyd and Utep have offered, Tulsa, Boise St, Oral Roberts, Tulane among others have also offered. Since he has already moved from Austraila to Texas, i wouldn't think he would be tied to one area of the country.
                      Seems like his game would fit well in a Jake offense. 6'8 and good from the perimeter.
                      Last edited by domedays; 09-14-2017, 11:19 AM.
                      "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

• Cincinnati got a verbal from a 3* 2018 PG, hopefully we can scratch them off of Haliburton's Top 5.

Comment

• Quinn Blair committed to William & Mary

Comment

• Brinkmeyer did commit to Indiana State today FYI

Comment

• Haliburton to decide tomorrow....Don't feel like that's a good sign for us

Comment

• Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
                                Haliburton to decide tomorrow....Don't feel like that's a good sign for us
                                Oh... Yeah, no, he's probably gone. Although I'm not sure where to, there's no way he'd go to Nebraska, right? Maybe he just loves Minnesota that much? I don't know.

Time to really go in on Abercrombie. I guess Cooper Kaifes is next on the list at that 2 position.

Just remembered, he had an unofficial to Iowa State, so that's probably where he's heading.
                                Last edited by sevelev711; 09-17-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X