WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

We lose 4 and have only added 1 so far. So even if McDermott takes 1 which is a big IF( but we don't know what was guaranteed) that leaves us with at least 2. I imagine we are hitting the post market hard, likely the juco market since finding a true freshman that can contribute is a lot to ask.
    if he takes one we have serious issues. Im sure he the kid is a nice guy but not our level of D1 basketball. He can't play defense effectively at this level.

Comment

• Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post

if he takes one we have serious issues. Im sure he the kid is a nice guy but not our level of D1 basketball. He can't play defense effectively at this level.
      Agreed. Being as far removed from the team as possible, I'd guess the current goal is to find another guard in high school, a big from the transfer market, and that last one is kind of a wildcard. If it can go to a high school big, or another high school guard, or McDermott, or if they want to pocket it since there will only be one scholarship in 2018-19, all these work.

Personally, I'd like to see it pocketed. I'm looking forward to James Betz, but I'd like someone else along for the ride.

Comment

• Good chance wirh the FBI investigation that there are going to be a lot of kids next spring that are going to be free to transfer with no restrictions and no sitting out.
        #MACtion

Comment

• A big with an attitude is a must - transfer or freshman.

Bennett and Klint are good players but they are....well....on the softer side of things.

What made Tut great wasn't his leaping ability, his first step, his shot blocking, etc... He was very good at everything, but his "Get the F out of my way" attitude on the court made him great. Given the temps outside a great movie quote to describe Tut is "bad-ass mother who don't take no crap off of nobody". That attitude is what made Lucas O'Rear great. It's what made Adam (not as outward as Tut) Koch great. When Jordan was on it's what made him so dominant.

Bennett and Klint don't have that. They don't have any of it. They have enough skill to control any MVC game, but they don't have the mentality for it I don't think. For 5th year guys that is...disappointing.

Comment

• Cool Runnings...love that movie and that is a great line in the movie.

Comment

• We certainly need to recruit someone with a polished offense game, since we obviously don't coach it.

Comment

• No particular reason I'm asking of this, but anyone know a good site to follow high school box scores? I'd love to see how AJ and James are doing, but I can't find much information about them, especially the latter.

Found a great site, actually. http://www.quikstatsiowa.com/Default.aspx

You can see the season averages/individual game box score of every player/team in the state. Pretty nice. And in case anyone is wondering, AJ has averaged 24.9 points per game, 46 FG%, 44 3PT%, and 92.9 FT%. He also has just under a 2:1 AST:TO.

Hooray.
                Last edited by sevelev711; 01-07-2018, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                  No particular reason I'm asking of this, but anyone know a good site to follow high school box scores? I'd love to see how AJ and James are doing, but I can't find much information about them, especially the latter.
                  Youth Sports and Activities

You can get game by game stats for every team in the state in every sport.
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

www.quikstatsiowa.com

You can get game by game stats for every team in the state in every sport.
                    Just found that site myself, actually, and edited my comment accordingly. Thank you though.

Comment

• AJ made 6 consecutive 3s and had 27 in the second half in a win over a decent Waterloo East team on Friday night. They doubled and tripled him with some pretty good length and he was still ablel to do pretty much anything he wanted.
                      #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                        AJ made 6 consecutive 3s and had 27 in the second half in a win over a decent Waterloo East team on Friday night. They doubled and tripled him with some pretty good length and he was still ablel to do pretty much anything he wanted.
                        Man, I can't wait for him next year. Obviously he won't be putting up numbers like this right out of the gate, but man do we need someone like him who has that kind of offensive game.

I feel like if we could get at least 2 more players, either currently on the team or new recruits, who can meaningfully contribute offensively, that would get us to where we need to be as a team. Only having 3 players a night with decent scoring is not enough.
                        Last edited by PantherAlum 2008; 01-08-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Why aren't we looking at Carondis Harris-Anderson out of Waterloo West?

One of the top scorers in the state.

Just passed the 1,000 point mark. Coach says he's a role model and coachable.

Anyone seen him play?
                          Last edited by Blue42; 01-13-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                            Why aren't we looking at Carondis Harris-Anderson out of Waterloo West?

Just passed the 1,000 point mark. Coach says he's a role model and coachable.

Anyone seen him play?
                            Has no DI offers. Only DI interest is North Dakota State. He's a 6-4 kid that isn't quick enough to defend the 2/3 and too skinny to play the 4.

Needs to take a DII offer and go somewhere where they don't really value defense. ***cough, Upper Iowa, cough***
                            #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Has no DI offers. Only DI interest is North Dakota State. He's a 6-4 kid that isn't quick enough to defend the 2/3 and too skinny to play the 4.

Needs to take a DII offer and go somewhere where they don't really value defense. ***cough, Upper Iowa, cough***
                              Agreed.. So many other intriguing in state players though. I think we need to get back to controlling that recruiting. Fran's terrible recruiting really screwed us. Bo, Pemsl, and Kreiner would look pretty good on this team.

Not 2018 recruiting (2019), but have you seen Hilmer, Krogman, or Hutchenson play? I have heard good things about all of them,

Hilmer seems like a stud. Is he just too short?
                              Hutchenson seems like a guy who gets an offer eventually. I would think
                              Krogman to short to be a college 4?

State of Iowa HS basketball is very good. IMO for us to maintain a good program we have to continue to get a lot of these guys. And obviously supplement with players like Pickford. But those guys are a lot harder to get for us.

Comment

• There's a freshman at Bishop Garrigan in Algona named Angelo Winkel to keep an eye on as well.

He's 6'7" with good ups and a good outside stroke.

He's said he'd like to play for the Panthers.

Would love to add a couple of athletic 4/5s from north Iowa over the next few years with he and Betz from Garner.
                                Last edited by Blue42; 01-13-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X