WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class of 2018 -- Football Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superninja80 View Post
    Will Mcelvain just committed to UNI
    Some pretty good highlights for him. Decent arm, good instincts inside and outside of the pocket. My biggest concern is that 90% of those highlights are against Hoover, North, East, Roosevelt, Ottumwa...not exactly stiff competition. Hard to tell how much of the highlighting is from Will and how much of it is from his opponents.

Not sure I see him as the QB of the future for us until he gets to campus and has to go against better competition in practice. He may not even end up as a QB.

Comment

Mcelvain committed to Iowa State in Sept as a PWO. Obviuously has reconsidered.

His QB skills look pretty darn good to me on that film. He can put zip on the ball or throw with touch. Has some Eric Sanders moxie back there. 69% completion pct his senior year.

Not a real big guy. Maybe a touch smaller than Mooney who we signed as well. He knows where the weight room is.

I'll take a slightly under-sized kid who has the arm, brain and play making ability over a 6'6" statue any day.

Side note...really interesting to see how many kids from Des Moines market are making their way to UNI FB. 10 years ago there was not much.

The more Campbell recruits nationally the more we can make hay in Des Moines. Add that to KC, StL, Omaha, Mpls and the state of Wisconsin as our key markets.
      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Read a couple articles on Mcelvain this evening. He took over the starting QB job at Lincoln...as a FRESHMAN!

When's the last time you saw a high school freshman starting at QB.....at a 4A school.

Senior year stats...69% completion 12.5 yards per completion, 2,330 yards passing, 30 TDs/5 ints, plus 1,000 yards rushing. That's in 9 games.
        Last edited by Blue42; 02-15-2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Likely this means he expects to play quarterback rather than possibly be considered for an "athlete" position. ISU apparently just signed a hotshot quarterback and he might have seen his chance of playing much at quarterback as being quite limited. Good get for the Panthers.

Comment

He will be one of about 11 QBs in the roster. His shot of playing here is about the same as at ISU.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
              He will be one of about 11 QBs in the roster. His shot of playing here is about the same as at ISU.
              After this season we'll have Keller, Ellsworth, Sullivan plus Mooney and Mcelvain as RS freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post

Some pretty good highlights for him. Decent arm, good instincts inside and outside of the pocket. My biggest concern is that 90% of those highlights are against Hoover, North, East, Roosevelt, Ottumwa...not exactly stiff competition. Hard to tell how much of the highlighting is from Will and how much of it is from his opponents.

Not sure I see him as the QB of the future for us until he gets to campus and has to go against better competition in practice. He may not even end up as a QB.
                He was very productive for a few years at Lincoln, played against high level competition for Iowa, and wouldn’t have had the talent surrounding him compared to other CIML schools. From what I’ve read, he sounds like a pretty athletic guy who could play a few positions in college. My guess is Iowa State’s late signing of the “all world” QB convinced him to move on from a PWO offer, as others have mentioned. This sounds like a good get for us. Hopefully he’s open to a position switch if his lack of height or something else necessitates a move.

Speaking of PWOs, Iowa signed a boatload of productive in state players this year, some of which had offers from us, SDSU, NDSU, etc. There were enough of them that you’ll hear a few names in the next couple of years as potential transfers.

Comment

Saw Mcelvain was the offensive MVP for the South team in Shrine Bowl. South put up like 50 points and Mcelvain had 250 yards passing in a partial game.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                    Trousil is running track right now. I know he had a nasty shoulder surgery coming out of high school but the only reason he had it was to be able to play football. I'd be surprised if he wasn't back and his speed is a total difference maker.
                    Any confirmation on what happened with Isaiah Trousil? I see he is running 100s, 200s and relays for UNI Track again this season, but never returned to football.
                    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Any confirmation on what happened with Isaiah Trousil? I see he is running 100s, 200s and relays for UNI Track again this season, but never returned to football.
                      Couldn't get enough strength back in the shoulder to prevent it from popping out all the time. Football just isn't an option anymore.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Couldn't get enough strength back in the shoulder to prevent it from popping out all the time. Football just isn't an option anymore.
                        Thanks, BCP.
                        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Working...
                        X