WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class of 2018 -- Football Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had also previously got a verbal commit from Caden Houghtelling...a DL/TE out of Nebraska.

Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
      We had also previously got a verbal commit from Caden Houghtelling...a DL/TE out of Nebraska.
      And he did sign today.
      Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Tim Butcher...6'2" 300 lb DL and high school teammate of Cal Twait...signs out of Iowa Central.

Thick and quick. Looks like a real junk yard dog...and I mean that in a good way.

Comment

Does PN still have a twitter account? Maybe it needs to become the voice for these signings. At least someone would be publicly welcoming the new panthers...
          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
            Does PN still have a twitter account? Maybe it needs to become the voice for these signings. At least someone would be publicly welcoming the new panthers...
            It exists but apparently no one has access to it. I've been wanting to get it going again and use it as...well...the way it should be. Haven't been able to get that going though.

So if anyone knows, please PM me. I'd love to get that thing fired back up.
            Last edited by clenz; 12-21-2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

It makes you wonder how much worse it has to get before action is taken. Unreal.
              If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Taj Moffett...a 5'11" DB...out of Washington state signs with the Panthers.

I'd seen we've been offering some kids from Pac NW...but first to sign.

Comment

In doing some further research I found UNI is the only offer from 6'5 200lb QB Braden Wingle out of Bakersfield, CA

This past year he threw for 2700 yards 33 TD and 4 INT
                  As a junior he threw for 4,400 yards 46 TD and 16 INT
                  Played in the Blue-Grey All American Game in Dallas earlier this month

Guys that have played in this game in the pasted
                  QBs from the 2017 class game
                  Peyton Mansell - Iowa
                  Xavier Martin - Texas Tech
                  Austin Burton -UCLA
                  Trenton Hatfield - Illinois State

RBs from the 2017 game
                  Ivory Kelly Martin - Iowa
                  Trey Coleman - Tennessee
                  Otis Anderson UCF
                  Titus McCoy Indidiana State

WRs that went to Miami, Michigan State, UNC, Nebraska, Colorado,
                  TEs to Alabama TAMU NC State Arizona State
                  OL To Michigna, Pitt, Penn State, Tennessee, Wazzou, Miss State

That's just the 2017 game and half oft the offense.

This is apparently a pretty high profile game

This kids numbers and recruitment remind me of Saywer.

Comment

Very interesting. I've been wondering if we'd sign a QB this year. We were also working for a kid out of Illinois who took a PWO at Tennessee.

I think the California kid also has an offer from Cal.

The success of Carson Wentz and Jimmy Garropolo might play into the decision for kids like this. You can get to the league as a QB from a good FCS program.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                      Very interesting. I've been wondering if we'd sign a QB this year. We were also working for a kid out of Illinois who took a PWO at Tennessee.

I think the California kid also has an offer from Cal.

The success of Carson Wentz and Jimmy Garropolo might play into the decision for kids like this. You can get to the league as a QB from a good FCS program.
                      I saw the kid from Tennessee but didn't mention him because most places I saw him listed looked like they had Tennessee has heavy favorites.

From what I can tell on Braden Wingle - the Cal kid - he only has an offer from UNI but interest from Cal, Colorado State, Fresno State and Utah. He looks to have a pretty good arm. https://247sports.com/player/braden-wingle-46038746

What might be keeping Cal et al. away is his completion %. He was at 54% as a senior at 215-400. However, as a junior he was 274-418 (65.6%). He has a big arm, but one thing I noticed is his passes tend to be high - similar to Eli early on. It's probably a mechanics thing Bond could work on with a redshirt.

However, with 5 QBs on the roster currently that will be there after this coming season - Sullivan, Perkins, Keller will all be rFr this year, Ellsworth will be a rSo and Howell we aren't sure if he can/will redshirt to get a 5th year - it's possible that Wingle goes somewhere that isn't known for jerking QBs around with PT and trying to sign 3 of them year year.

I know Farley was 100% set on Keller and Perkins being QBs, but man I can't see how they fit the offense being run right now. Specifically Perkins at 5'9 197lbs.

Wingle is 6'5 200+
                      Bart Harris - the likely TN walk-on is 6-4 210 pro style
                      The other QB we apparently had an offer on is a 6'3 205 lb pro style QB that ended up at WMU

I don't know how Perkins and Keller fit that mold. Then again - I'm not sure I know anything about this program anymore.

Comment

So I copied the sheet from the original post and updated it from the information I can find

As far as I can tell we have 11 standing offers. I'd call UNI the "Favorite" on 5 of the 11. An average shot at 2 or 3 and 4 or 5 as no chance.

There's also just 5 Iowa kids that had a known offer from UNI as of the holiday signing period. Two signed with UNI, one signed with Northern Illinois, and 2 are 50/50s that UNI needs to win.

I take it the early signing period was our OOS kids and now it'll be in-state kids as a push for Feb?

Comment

Good stuff. Feb 1 will be interesting.

I believe we also got a commitment from on OL from Iowa Central named Collin Lagrande.

300 pound hammer originally from Nawleans.

Comment

Also saw the Clayberg kid who's leaving Iowa is headed to Dordt.

I didn't anticipate him landing in CF given he was dead set on playing offense...and I can't see Farley spending scholly $s on a kid that he can't move to the best position fit.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                              So I copied the sheet from the original post and updated it from the information I can find

As far as I can tell we have 11 standing offers. I'd call UNI the "Favorite" on 5 of the 11. An average shot at 2 or 3 and 4 or 5 as no chance.

There's also just 5 Iowa kids that had a known offer from UNI as of the holiday signing period. Two signed with UNI, one signed with Northern Illinois, and 2 are 50/50s that UNI needs to win.

I take it the early signing period was our OOS kids and now it'll be in-state kids as a push for Feb?
                              Thanks Clenz. I dropped the ball on keeping this updated

Comment

Panthers pick up commitment from a QB out of Huntley, IL.

Eric Mooney...6'1" and 190 lbs. Very fast.

Sr year.....threw for 2,200 and 20 TDs/5 picks. 66% completion pct. Also ran for 1,200 and 19 TDs.

Played RB and WR as a fresh/soph. Took over as QB junior yr. Regarded as one of the more dynamic players coming out of IL.

Video reminds me a bit of James Madison's QB...play making ability with feet, arm or both on same play.

Comment

Working...
                                X