WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2019 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Until position less basketball got real popular within the last decade a 4 has always been considered a post player. It's a Power Forward. Tim Duncan was a 4. Malone, Barkley, KG,
    Pettitw, Oakley, Rodman, etc. are all 4s.

dirk is really the first swing 4 to rrally have success and sustain the success over a career as more of a swing 4

The first small forwards to be more of a gaurd than a post player are also within the last 20 or 30 years.

Go back to the Bulls run and before and guys like LeBron, Durant, Anthony, Iguidala, Hayward, etc. don't really exist.

Hell, Pippen is considered one of the top 50 players all time and as a 3 he took 2 threes a game and shot 32 percent from deep. Pierce was kind of the revolutionary 3 man. Guys like Kemp showed what more atheltic ability at that spot can do. Guys like Larry Johnson and really Pierce showed what an outside game could do for it.

In 2019 there aren't as many 4s that are closer to a true post, but they exist. They are still very useful. UNIs best years has had them - O'Rear and Singleton. They are also still very much cinsconsida front court player.

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Henry is a 4. And that is a post.

And yes he is not a true center but Jake has made it clear over the years he prefers/trusts a player like A. Koch/O'Rear/Tuttle over a guy like Egleseder.

And finally, good luck finding a true center who will come in and make an impact right away at this level. That is why we take flyers on guys like Dahl. There is a reason when it is transfer season every P5 team fan base is saying "We need a post"/"We need a PG".
      A 4 is more of a forward than a “center/post”, Rebounder, power forward type. I would call koch and tuttle both 5’s. Koch was primarily a post up player although some offensive sets took him to the perimeter. Orear was a classic 4 and we have sorely missed his kind ever since. Tuttle was a freak. he was a hybrid in that he made his game to fit both a traditional post and a euro perimeter forward. UNI has been at some of their best when they’ve had both a post 5 and a power 4 rebounder like orear. He didn’t put up great stats but is one of the more underrated basketball players inUNI history. Every UNI team would be much better if they had him

Comment

• Anyone seen Noah Carter play in person this year?

Really interesting to see what he'll bring to the team.

6'5" and 225+ and deceptively athletic.

Can get to the rim and great interior moves and feet. And...48% from the arc.

Hard to think of prior UNI players to compare him to.

Had some health issues that kept him out of the spot light. Worked out for us.
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• I haven't seen him play. I've heard he has a bit of the same flavor that O'Rear had when it comes to the ability to dig after players and play that kind of head game

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
            I haven't seen him play. I've heard he has a bit of the same flavor that O'Rear had when it comes to the ability to dig after players and play that kind of head game
            I like to hear that. It seems like we need more "bad boys" on the team. Somebody with a little attitude.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post

I like to hear that. It seems like we need more "bad boys" on the team. Somebody with a little attitude.
              Agreed. We need a couple of guys who can get to the rim too.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                I haven't seen him play. I've heard he has a bit of the same flavor that O'Rear had when it comes to the ability to dig after players and play that kind of head game
                This is accurate. He's an ******* on the court and that's exactly what we've been missing. Seth Tuttle had that about him as well.
                #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                  Anyone seen Noah Carter play in person this year?

Really interesting to see what he'll bring to the team.

6'5" and 225+ and deceptively athletic.

Can get to the rim and great interior moves and feet. And...48% from the arc.

Hard to think of prior UNI players to compare him to.

Had some health issues that kept him out of the spot light. Worked out for us.
                  We need some girth on the team too!

Comment

• 2 future Panthers nominated for the McDonald's All-American game, one of them is a walk on Derek Kroggman. Pretty cool to have a couple guys on the list, obviously it's very unlikely they make it though

Comment

• Just saw this...UNI signee Henry Cole broke his hand in practice last week and will miss a few weeks, possibly the rest of the season. He had been averaging about 23 ppg and 12 rpg.

by Jamie Brockman The Oskaloosa Boys basketball team suffered a big blow on Thursday when leading scorer Cole Henry suffered a broken hand in practice, possibly ending his Senior season. I spoke with Henry just hours after he suffered the injury and he said “We were working on offensive plays in practice. I was coming […]

Comment

• Too bad...

Sounds like he could be back in time for state qualifying rounds, though.
                        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                        Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                        - George Halas

Comment

• Selfishly - less games = less chance of something stupid like a blown ACL happening before he gets to campus

Comment

• Noah Carter had 35 points, 15 boards, 5 assists, 3 blocks in a win over Waterloo East last night.

Not a bad line.
                            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Can Moose or one of the administrators please add:
                              Evan Gauger 6'2" Indianola, IA
                              to the Committed portion of the first post in this thread?
                              He's been committed to us for several months now.
                              Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                                Can Moose or one of the administrators please add:
                                Evan Gauger 6'2" Indianola, IA
                                to the Committed portion of the first post in this thread?
                                He's been committed to us for several months now.
                                Thanks!
                                Done. My bad on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X