WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AJ Green & Other Recruits at State Basketball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ Green & Other Recruits at State Basketball

I just got back from watching both 4A games. My thoughts:

-AJ is bigger than I thought, and is a really smooth player who can shoot the lights out. It’s was hard to tell how much actual quickness he has, although he took it to the hole a couple of times. Pretty good ball handler too. One thing I noticed was that most of his game tonight was taking jab steps, then shooting the step back three He hit a bunch of them in the first half, then went ice cold in the second. He’ll need to develop some other weapons to score in college, but should do so being pretty athletic.

- Waukee has three potential DI players, two of which are back next year. Of the two coming back, I’d keep an eye on Dylan Jones for 2019. He’s a 6’8 #4 type player, who’s already pretty solidly built, and pretty athletic. I don’t know if he’s a MVC level player, but he looks like he’ll be a really nice college PF for someone. Waukee has Jones and Noah Hart (6’1 PG) back next year, and recruiting for both is expected to accelerate with good AAU seasons.

- Blake Brinkmeyer from Valley should be a nice player for Indiana St. He’s around 6’10, athletic, nice hook shot, and is a force blocking and altering shots down low. Once he puts on more weight and develops some more post moves, he could be a good MVC player. Both UNI and Drake could regret not going after him harder if he develops.

Based off tonight, my bet is for IC West to beat Cedar Falls. IC West has some weapons other than McCaffrey, and a lot of length that bothered Waukee.

-I had many of the same thoughts.
    -with AJ. He was listed as 6'3 and looked like he has spent some time in the weight room, definitely stronger looking than the last time I saw him. I am guessing that AJ already has other weapons other than the jab step, but he always has 2 or 3 guys keeping an eye on him so he gets no open looks or opportunities to drive. AJ went cold in the second half but he is a special talent. He was fun to watch just in warm-ups. Of course as a UNI fan this year, my offensive fun bar is set pretty low.

--Brinkmeyer maybe not a finished product and doesn't score much, but he has some other skills

- I think CF can get West. I wasn't impressed with West in the first round game. Hakeem Odunsi had a big night last night for west going 4-4 on 3's but he only had 8 for the season and he is not listed among their top 4 scorers. So he hopefully won't repeat that performance.

--Foster from Oskaloosa. Pretty easy to see why everybody wants him. 6'11 Sophomore and showed a good looking shot from outside. He moves very well a good passer and can clog the lane, blocking and intimidating shots. He may need some improvement in his back to the basket game. He definitely needs to improve his free throws. They showed Prohm on the video board watching Foster.

Fun night last night except for my Go-Hawks losing. 27th state tournament appearance for Waverly
    Last edited by domedays; 03-09-2018, 07:44 AM.
    "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

I thought Noah Hart from Waukee looked like a kid who could play in the MVC. Good shot, good handle, decent size and length. Aggressive player.

As for AJ...well it's easy to be excited. We've gotta put the right pieces with him. But he will be quite the weapon.

And he's got a little p*** and vinegar to him. The Valley bench was chirping at him and he drained a 3 right in front of them. Turned his head and had a comment or two for the boys from WDM as he headed up court. Hell yeah!
      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

I don’t see it from Brinkmeyer. He’s a minimum...minimum....of 40-45lbs away from actually being able to bang downlow at the D1 level. He was getting moved like a rag dog by the CF posts with little effort. He tried to fight back but there was literally nothing happened. Maybe I’ve only ever seen off games of his but man I just don’t see it at the D1 level.

He he reminds me of Casey Schlatter at Drake. Another player that has an early UNI offer that was pulled. Schlatter is an afterthought at Drake at 6’10 and feather weight. He averages like 4 points and 12 minutes per game. He just can’t ohysixally handle D1 ball. I see the same for Blake
        "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
        -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
          I thought Noah Hart from Waukee looked like a kid who could play in the MVC. Good shot, good handle, decent size and length. Aggressive player.

As for AJ...well it's easy to be excited. We've gotta put the right pieces with him. But he will be quite the weapon.

And he's got a little p*** and vinegar to him. The Valley bench was chirping at him and he drained a 3 right in front of them. Turned his head and had a comment or two for the boys from WDM as he headed up court. Hell yeah!
          AJ answered pretty well to the "overrated" chant on Tuesday night too.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

I think AJ has a pretty good chance at being our leading scorer next year.

He has really improved his ballhandling, quickness, and playmaking ability since last year.
            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
              I think AJ has a pretty good chance at being our leading scorer next year.

He has really improved his ballhandling, quickness, and playmaking ability since last year.
              That was my biggest takeaway from seeing him this year versus last. He went from well above average to outstanding.

#MACtion

Comment

I see that IPT is not carrying the boys' finals like they did the girls' last weekend. The NBCSports station is showing the Illinois state tourney. Anyone know if the ICW/CF game will be televised or streamed?

Comment

Originally posted by Bookin' Panther View Post
                  I see that IPT is not carrying the boys' finals like they did the girls' last weekend. The NBCSports station is showing the Illinois state tourney. Anyone know if the ICW/CF game will be televised or streamed?
                  You should be able to stream on the NBCSports app too (assuming you subscribe to the channel).

Comment

Thanks for the info, JD720!

Comment

https://ihssnlivestream.com/

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
                        Thank you.
                        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Loved AJ draining a 3 with McCaffery in his face

Comment

AJ absolutely has to be the PG next year.

Comment

Wow! I'm impressed! I hope we completely change the offense for him. He's going to make others look really good as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X