WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2020 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Iowa assistant Kyle Green was at the Park Center vs Totino-Grace game tonight to see 2020 Detavius Frierson. @DetaviusF scored 23 in the win.

Comment

• Anyone in the central Iowa area, Osky vs Norwalk at Osky on January 29. Current commit Cole Henry and 5* recruit Xavier Foster vs. UNI 2020 recruit Bowen Born. Should be a fun game

Comment

• Saw Ty Anderson play tonight against Pleasant Valley. Some things I noticed, starting with the most important:

1) He still goes by the awesome name of Tytan Anderson instead of the more generic Ty Anderson.

2) He's 6'6" now, instead of 5'10". Hit a pretty nice growth spurt, he actually spent most of the game in the post. He's also incredibly scrawny. Like, almost to the point where he looks unhealthy. He was getting pushed around quite a bit by the shorter, stockier players.

3) He only had 8 points tonight, but I'm gonna attribute that to PV triple teaming him literally every single time he touched the ball, and also being mugged when he didn't have the ball. This strategy didn't work, btw, North Scott has a bunch of catch-and-shoot-3 guys and it was a 20 point game at the half.

4) He has spectacular court awareness, a great passing "big." Two of the more memorable plays he made was a no look hook pass from the post to the wide open top of the key while being triple teamed, and one where he tried to go cost to cost, but lost the handle on it. He saved the ball, but right to the PG for the opposing team. While the PG started bringing up the ball as normal, Tytan snuck in behind him, stole it, and got the uncontested layup. He also had some fantastic blocks wiped away by very questionable foul calls.

Overall, while I was pretty disappointed I didn't see him go off for 25, I like what I saw of him, especially as he's only a junior. Plays smart and unselfish. Didn't see him take a single jumpshot, but again, he really couldn't, and he didn't need to. Side note, I have no idea how anyone is going to beat North Scott this year. Their best player had his worst scoring game of the year and they won by 30. And it's not just against scrubs, they're the "2" in Bettendorf's 15-2 results.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
          Saw Ty Anderson play tonight against Pleasant Valley. Some things I noticed, starting with the most important:

1) He still goes by the awesome name of Tytan Anderson instead of the more generic Ty Anderson.

2) He's 6'6" now, instead of 5'10". Hit a pretty nice growth spurt, he actually spent most of the game in the post. He's also incredibly scrawny. Like, almost to the point where he looks unhealthy. He was getting pushed around quite a bit by the shorter, stockier players.

3) He only had 8 points tonight, but I'm gonna attribute that to PV triple teaming him literally every single time he touched the ball, and also being mugged when he didn't have the ball. This strategy didn't work, btw, North Scott has a bunch of catch-and-shoot-3 guys and it was a 20 point game at the half.

4) He has spectacular court awareness, a great passing "big." Two of the more memorable plays he made was a no look hook pass from the post to the wide open top of the key while being triple teamed, and one where he tried to go cost to cost, but lost the handle on it. He saved the ball, but right to the PG for the opposing team. While the PG started bringing up the ball as normal, Tytan snuck in behind him, stole it, and got the uncontested layup. He also had some fantastic blocks wiped away by very questionable foul calls.

Overall, while I was pretty disappointed I didn't see him go off for 25, I like what I saw of him, especially as he's only a junior. Plays smart and unselfish. Didn't see him take a single jumpshot, but again, he really couldn't, and he didn't need to. Side note, I have no idea how anyone is going to beat North Scott this year. Their best player had his worst scoring game of the year and they won by 30. And it's not just against scrubs, they're the "2" in Bettendorf's 15-2 results.
          Interesting, thanks. I’d read about him being more of a wing player, and didn’t realize he played so much in the post. Maybe he’s more of a wing in AAU?

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Interesting, thanks. I’d read about him being more of a wing player, and didn’t realize he played so much in the post. Maybe he’s more of a wing in AAU?
            I would guess that, yes. Pretty sure that he's only playing post because he's the only tall guy on the team. And while I didn't see him doing much from the wing in the actual game, he did warm up from the three position. But I tell you what, he gets a few more inches and about 80 more pounds and I wouldn't mind seeing him in the post. He's certainly not afraid of the contact.

Comment

• I’ve seen Ty play a few times. I personally think the comments about his weight are grossly misleading. I would have told you he looks about like Isaiah brown. I personally like Ty’s game. I’ve seen him go off for 20 and 12 ish numbers. He does everything from going to the glass to driving the basketball. The only part of his game I haven’t seen would be his 3 point shooting. I think in the two game I watched.... I can’t recall even an attempt. The overwhelming theme in his game... very unselfish and will do the little things.

He is long and very athletic. His upside is there I’d like to see him develop his shot and yes add some strength and weight...80 pounds ... gosh no.... 20 sure. He will get the 20 like you guys mentioned he’s probably 17 years old.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

I would guess that, yes. Pretty sure that he's only playing post because he's the only tall guy on the team. And while I didn't see him doing much from the wing in the actual game, he did warm up from the three position. But I tell you what, he gets a few more inches and about 80 more pounds and I wouldn't mind seeing him in the post. He's certainly not afraid of the contact.

I like this. Being comfortable with the contact will give him a good base from which to build as he puts on weight and gets college coaching.

Comment

• Per a DMR article, we have offer out to Isaiah Rivera, a combo G/F from Geneseo, IL. He also has offers from Drake, Loyola, St Johns, SIU, Valpo, and others.

The article stated he’s one of two Drake priorities in the 2020 class. The other is Born from Norwalk. It didn’t say anything about where we sit, since it related to Drake recruiting.

Comment

• Drake’s new coach’s style of play could be intriguing to the same players we are trying to recruit. He wants to play up tempo as do most players. In-state recruiting is going to get very interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                      Per a DMR article, we have offer out to Isaiah Rivera, a combo G/F from Geneseo, IL. He also has offers from Drake, Loyola, St Johns, SIU, Valpo, and others.

The article stated he’s one of two Drake priorities in the 2020 class. The other is Born from Norwalk. It didn’t say anything about where we sit, since it related to Drake recruiting.
                      Yeah. Rivera grabbed an offer from UNI sometime in August.

Those 5 open spots we have for next year are going to get pretty interesting to watch over the summer.

Born at the PG position, at the 2/3 position are the Madsen brothers (who are a package) and Jonathon Davis who has a Wisconsin offer. Then 2 PF offers to Brauns and Howell (from Louisiana)

There are 7 offers out there for 5 spots as of now. You absolutely want the Madsen brothers. One is a good MVC caliber player, the other is a B10 caliber player that a MM is going to grab. Most connected recruiting "experts" have them pegged as 100% UNI.

It will be interesting to see the push Jake, and staff, put on Born/Rivera to keep them away from other MVC schools. They clearly want them, but I wonder if a priority would be pushed towards them (just a bit) to "hurt" Drake or any other MVC schools in their recruiting.

I suppose you could take some effort away from Brauns or Howell as they play the same position/style as Betz, Carter, Krogmann and Phyfe to clear some room in the class.

Comment

• My biggest concern with Born is that he's 5-10 and obviously done growing.
                        #MACtion

Comment

• It is worth noting that Jake is notorious for "pulling" the commitability of an offer after a kid has had it for a year.

Looking at the 2020 offers

Brauns - October 2017
                          Madsen brothers - October 2017
                          Howell - March 2018
                          Born - May 2018
                          Rivera - August 2018
                          Davis - August 2018

Jake may be bending on his "1 year" rule he is known for. There is zero chance he would tell Gabe his offer isn't valid anymore. If Gabe wasn't a package deal with Mason he has offers from Marquette, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and a few others at least. It is widely believed he is that good. Mason is good, but not quite that same level. Mason is seen as a high mid major kid - a MVC level kid. Wisconsin/Marquette aren't "burning" a scholarship on Mason just to get Gabe.

Given the 2019 class I'm not sure where Brauns stands with an offer at this point.

Born's height may hold him back. He is small. Real small. Like, Juwan was bigger than him small. He seems to be at the size he's going to be.

There also isn't a ton of steam on the UNI front for basketball recruiting in the 2020 class right now with other offers/visits happening. That can/will change with the AAU season, but even in past years there has been more going on with recruiting.

Last edited by clenz; 02-13-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                            My biggest concern with Born is that he's 5-10 and obviously done growing.
                            Ditto. The little bit I have watched of him he doesn't appear to have exceptional athleticism to mitigate his smaller stature. He may be a good floor general and all that, but how will his size or lack thereof be exploited by opposing teams in D1? He likely shoots it better than Juwan did, but look at the trouble Juwan had finishing at the rim once he started playing against bigger and more athletic guys. This would be my concern for Born.

Comment

• Is my original post in this thread showing up as blank other than committed/offered/committed elsewhere for anyone else? I went to check to make sure I had everyone and it was all blank. Odd

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                                Is my original post in this thread showing up as blank other than committed/offered/committed elsewhere for anyone else? I went to check to make sure I had everyone and it was all blank. Odd
                                Yes, it shows blank for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X