WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2020 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As did Cinci and Iowa State

Comment

• I can't imagine they don't split. Gabe to a P5 and Mason to Cal Poly or UND.
      #MACtion

Comment

• Looking at the Verbal Commits page, we have also offered Thomas Howell, a 6-8 F from Natchitoches, LA. Checking his twitter page, we offered him at the end of March in 2018. If it's already been noted, then disregard this.

Comment

• If Born is holding out for a B10/P5 offer it's getting to a point that it isn't going to come unless he wants to wait until well into his senior season.

It's clear Fran has no interest in offering him. Yesterday he offered a 5* PG he has almost negative percent shot at landing. He's still chasing the 4-5* national kids. He has no interest in any local kid, especially one that has potential size limitations.

I highly doubt Bowen grows much more. Genetically it isn't likely - dad is 6'1 mom is something like 5'2. Him getting much taller would be a rather extreme genetic outlier. He's 5'11 165-170lbs. He's probably at least 2 inches and 20 lbs from being on most P5 radars. Maybe he gets to 6'2 and 185 but it isn't happening before his senior season starts

Kids have their own dreams and aspirations - but the summer recruiting/eval periods are essentially over. We are in a dead period until July 23rd and from then until the 28th there is an eval period but there is no in person off campus contact allowed. We are then in a complete dead period until Sept 9 through early signing days (Nov 11-14).

It sounds like all current, known, UNI targets want to decide before their senior season. That means all film and everything a coach could know about a kid is already out there.

I know what I've heard, rumor wise, on Born. We'll see if it plays out. I just struggle to see him getting a P5/big name offer like he is "holding out" for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moose39 View Post
            Looking at the Verbal Commits page, we have also offered Thomas Howell, a 6-8 F from Natchitoches, LA. Checking his twitter page, we offered him at the end of March in 2018. If it's already been noted, then disregard this.
            https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/thomas-howell
            I think this kids high school coach had a tie to the UNI program...like perhaps a former UNI BB manager or something like that. We offered him early.
            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
              If Born is holding out for a B10/P5 offer it's getting to a point that it isn't going to come unless he wants to wait until well into his senior season.

It's clear Fran has no interest in offering him. Yesterday he offered a 5* PG he has almost negative percent shot at landing. He's still chasing the 4-5* national kids. He has no interest in any local kid, especially one that has potential size limitations.

I highly doubt Bowen grows much more. Genetically it isn't likely - dad is 6'1 mom is something like 5'2. Him getting much taller would be a rather extreme genetic outlier. He's 5'11 165-170lbs. He's probably at least 2 inches and 20 lbs from being on most P5 radars. Maybe he gets to 6'2 and 185 but it isn't happening before his senior season starts

Kids have their own dreams and aspirations - but the summer recruiting/eval periods are essentially over. We are in a dead period until July 23rd and from then until the 28th there is an eval period but there is no in person off campus contact allowed. We are then in a complete dead period until Sept 9 through early signing days (Nov 11-14).

It sounds like all current, known, UNI targets want to decide before their senior season. That means all film and everything a coach could know about a kid is already out there.

I know what I've heard, rumor wise, on Born. We'll see if it plays out. I just struggle to see him getting a P5/big name offer like he is "holding out" for.
              I agree completely. I think he ends up at Drake or UNI, I really think it's a tossup between the two. Born has said multiple times he wants to commit before the start of his senior season so he can just focus on that. Unless things fall apart for Iowa recruiting wise in the near future, it's not happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

I think this kids high school coach had a tie to the UNI program...like perhaps a former UNI BB manager or something like that. We offered him early.
                I read that Jason Kern was the coach and was a manager at UNI. The article said however that Coach Kern has moved back to Iowa. I'm sure there is still some communication going on.
                "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

• Interesting that Drake offered another point guard on July 14. Not sure if that says anything about how they are feeling about Born. The new offer is a 6'2 point guard from Canada named Kobe Elvis (great name)
                  "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

• Originally posted by domedays View Post
                    Interesting that Drake offered another point guard on July 14. Not sure if that says anything about how they are feeling about Born. The new offer is a 6'2 point guard from Canada named Kobe Elvis (great name)
                    Drake seems to be recruiting Canada pretty hard lately. One of the assistants at Drake - I think it's Larry Blunt - coached prep ball in Ontario for like 3 or 4 years and then and in the NBL of Canada.

Canada's basketball boom is just starting. Not a bad move by schools trying to grab kids from there. There is a decent amount of talent up there.

If it comes down to Born landing at a non P-5 or "brand" school I like UNI's chances.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moose39 View Post
                      Looking at the Verbal Commits page, we have also offered Thomas Howell, a 6-8 F from Natchitoches, LA. Checking his twitter page, we offered him at the end of March in 2018. If it's already been noted, then disregard this.
                      https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/thomas-howell
                      Looks like we're pretty much the only out of state school looking at him, fwiw.
                      I like his game. He's fundamentally sound with good footwork around the rim, but you can tell he's athletic. He's very productive from a stats perspective which I strongly prefer from small school kids.

Comment

• I would guess Howell doesn't have a committable offer at this point - no information, just a guess.

Look around any recruiting or social media site. Nothing to link UNI in anyway to him in many many months. He's had his offer for 16 months at a position we just signed Betz, Carter, and Krogmann and have Tschetter as an option in 21.

Maybe he still has that offer, but I would be pretty shocked

Comment

• I believe the Barnstormers season is officially over after their loss today, so does Born have any organized ball to play before HS starts?
                          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

Drake seems to be recruiting Canada pretty hard lately. One of the assistants at Drake - I think it's Larry Blunt - coached prep ball in Ontario for like 3 or 4 years and then and in the NBL of Canada.

Canada's basketball boom is just starting. Not a bad move by schools trying to grab kids from there. There is a decent amount of talent up there.
                            It has worked pretty well for Iowa State: Melvin Ejim, Naz Long, Lindell Wigginton, Jamie Vanderbeken, and last but not least Bridget Carleton.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                              I believe the Barnstormers season is officially over after their loss today, so does Born have any organized ball to play before HS starts?
                              I don't believe so.
                              I'm sure there are a camp or two between tomorrow and the 28th during the official eval period but I believe he is done with any games/organized team ball until his first game as a senior.

Which, as I mentioned earlier, I think would make it very difficult for Bowen to pick up any additional offers - specifically the larger schools he's been advised to wait for - as all potential tape is now done. Skills are shown. His cards are on the table, so to speak. His option for a large offer at this point seems to be pretty heavily reliant on the domino effect an schools losing out on targets.
                              I know we've talked about Iowa but they are at 28 open offers right now an 7 of them are point guards - coupled with having 2 PGs in this years freshman class (including a 4*) and 2 PGs in the sophomore class I'm not sure how heavy of a priority PG will be as they fill those 5 scholarship slots - especially since they don't have a freshman or sophomore in the 3, 4, or 5 slots.

Creighton is another school I've seen mentioned with him as a "holding out for". They have 3 open rides for 20 left and 18 existing offers. They have 4 offers to PGs right now, two of them are 5 stars, 1 is a four star and one a 3 star. Average height for their PG offers is over 6'3. They have a stable of PGs on their roster as well - though none of them are highly ranked recruits - which would explain going after only 4-5 star kids this year. Like Iowa they are also extremely thin 3-5. They only have 2 kids on their roster over 6'7 right now, and one of them is gone after this year. I'd guess Xavier Foster is their #1 target along with a top end PG right now.

Comment

• Interesting little article about Jack Wetzel out of Cedar Rapids Kennedy. Looks like he is headed to a prep school in California for his senior year. He does say that UNI, SDSU, and UIC have reached out and shown interest so far. It will be interesting to see if he ends up staying out there for college.

A popular notion for young hoopers is to always play your hardest, because you never know who could be watching.  For Jack Wetzel, a 44 point performance with Gain Elite this spring at an adidas Gauntlet event set the wheels in motion for an opportunity he couldn’t pass up. The 6-foot-4 rising senior was offered […]

Comment

Working...
                                X