WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2020 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordell Pemsl has entered the transfer portal. I gotta imagine Jake has already made a call.

Comment

• Pass sans zero other options

Comment

• Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
        Cordell Pemsl has entered the transfer portal. I gotta imagine Jake has already made a call.
        Highly doubt he is transferring from Iowa to come to UNI and be a backup center.
        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• There's no doubt UNI could use another big to go with Phyfe. I think Henry will be great but we haven't even seen him, yet. Phyfe and Pemsl are actually pretty similar players. both 6'9" lefties who play below the rim. I recall Pemsl having quite a bit of skill on the block as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Highly doubt he is transferring from Iowa to come to UNI and be a backup center.
            The offense is designed for two post players, there just hasn't been enough depth in the post where that's been a legitimate option. Start him at the 4 next to Phyfe. He's athletic enough he can guard some on the perimeter if necessary, and he's an excellent passer that would fit great in this offense.

Comment

• Seems like a ton of baggage, both medically and in personal life.

Comment

• Creighton and UNI were his other offers out of his high school, and I have seen a few kids transfer out of Creighton. Not sure what their post depth is like, but they may have interest as well.

Comment

• Something of note. Devries was at Creighton when they offered Pemsl, so don't be surprised if Drake goes after him hard as well. They definitely need some post depth.

Comment

• I wouldn't be against him coming here, but I certainly don't want a big push in getting him here. A big push to me feels like the staff doesn't have confidence in the development in the of Henry and Betz, which would be worrisome. Now he'd certainly lessen the blow of striking out on all of the possible transfers, but I really don't want it to come to that. I'd rather the situation be "Pemsel wants to come to UNI but since we just got Carton, we don't have room." That's the ideal.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                      I wouldn't be against him coming here, but I certainly don't want a big push in getting him here. A big push to me feels like the staff doesn't have confidence in the development in the of Henry and Betz, which would be worrisome. Now he'd certainly lessen the blow of striking out on all of the possible transfers, but I really don't want it to come to that. I'd rather the situation be "Pemsel wants to come to UNI but since we just got Carton, we don't have room." That's the ideal.
                      I definitely get that thought and would love to have Carton on the team as well. I don't think going hard after Pemsl would be a knock on Henry or Betz. I think it would be the coaching staff considering how close this team is to a tournament run and understanding the need for bigs. Pemsl is a big strong kid who was just a little undersized in the B10. He would definitely make UNI better.I loved the little I saw from Betz last year, but he's 6'7", maybe. That's not going to work against Robbins or Boya for long periods of time.

Side note: Does this transfer allow Iowa to pursue Carton? Or are they still over on scholarships?

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post

I definitely get that thought and would love to have Carton on the team as well. I don't think going hard after Pemsl would be a knock on Henry or Betz. I think it would be the coaching staff considering how close this team is to a tournament run and understanding the need for bigs. Pemsl is a big strong kid who was just a little undersized in the B10. He would definitely make UNI better.I loved the little I saw from Betz last year, but he's 6'7", maybe. That's not going to work against Robbins or Boya for long periods of time.

Side note: Does this transfer allow Iowa to pursue Carton? Or are they still over on scholarships?
                        The Pemsl transfer puts them at the 13 scholarship limit. However, 2 of those are Connor and Patrick McCaffrey so I'm sure one of those would go to a walk on status if Carton was to go to Iowa.

That being said, I think it's unlikely Carton goes to Iowa. I've read a few articles indicating that Carton wants to be the marquee player wherever he goes (the innuendo in those articles is that is why he left OSU). Iowa is way too loaded next year with the promise of a very special year to risk messing with team chemistry.

Comment

• Originally posted by skydog0784 View Post

The Pemsl transfer puts them at the 13 scholarship limit. However, 2 of those are Connor and Patrick McCaffrey so I'm sure one of those would go to a walk on status if Carton was to go to Iowa.

That being said, I think it's unlikely Carton goes to Iowa. I've read a few articles indicating that Carton wants to be the marquee player wherever he goes (the innuendo in those articles is that is why he left OSU). Iowa is way too loaded next year with the promise of a very special year to risk messing with team chemistry.
                          If that's the case, Iowa State would make the most sense, but Carton is going to be pursued by just about everyone. The only way he ends up at UNI is if being close to him is most important to him. I'm not saying we aren't a quality program with that comment, but he will be provided more exposure in other environments. That's why I'm totally fine with UNI going after Pemsl. Plus, I think he would make Drake pretty dangerous. A solid big guy to go with Robbins would make that team pretty tough.

Comment

• Originally posted by skydog0784 View Post

Would he be the "marquee" kid here?

I've heard Mizzou mentioned - they have a kid that was a 4* top 35 recruit out of HS and has been a 3 year starter coming back for another year at PG - though almost nothing behind him. However, if he wants to be "the guy", I'm not sure going somewhere with a 3 year returning starter, the top 6 guys coming back - 4 of them guards- is the play.

Marquette could be a play - they lose their two top guard (27 ppg and 14 ppg) spots. Though they return a kid that was 4* out of HS and was the primary back up ball handler and was their third best player. Also had a 4* freshman PG this year that played in 28 games.

Nebraska is bad enough he could be the guy there no matter who they have there right now

Iowa State is going to have enough empty slots that he could be the guy there.

Comment

• Carton could go to WSU and be the only guy on the team at this rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post

If that's the case, Iowa State would make the most sense, but Carton is going to be pursued by just about everyone. The only way he ends up at UNI is if being close to him is most important to him. I'm not saying we aren't a quality program with that comment, but he will be provided more exposure in other environments. That's why I'm totally fine with UNI going after Pemsl. Plus, I think he would make Drake pretty dangerous. A solid big guy to go with Robbins would make that team pretty tough.
                                That's the way I see it too. If Carton plays in Iowa, I think it's going to be ISU. It seems to me that both UNI or Drake are real possibilities for Pemsl next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X