WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class of 2019 - Football Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
    I haven't, but I haven't looked too hard.

He certainly doesn't have the profile from his Iowa days to land at another P5. Most G5s are a stretch. Considering his connection to the state of Iowa it seems like he could fit. I'd also guess SDSU, USD and WIU will be in for him.
    If I am remembering correctly, I think he wants a Speech Pathology masters, I'd be mildly surprised if he doesn't come here.

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

If I am remembering correctly, I think he wants a Speech Pathology masters, I'd be mildly surprised if he doesn't come here.
      FWIW ...

“All of us are appreciative of Garret’s efforts and contributions," said Ferentz. "Garret will seek a graduate program course of study that is unavailable to him here." (https://247sports.com/college/iowa/A...ner-127652074/)

Iowa has a Speech Pathology graduate program, a very highly rated program.

Again, FWIW.

I would be very happy to see him at UNI.
      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Grad transfers much go into a program their previous school doesn't offer.

UNI can offer Speach Pathology. He can skirt the rules and declare to another program, take SP programs and after the season move to the SP program. That's not really the spirit of the rule, but the spirit of the rule has never been followed anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Iowa has a Speech Pathology graduate program, a very highly rated program.

Again, FWIW.

I would be very happy to see him at UNI.
          Iowa's Masters Speech Path program has twice as many applicants as they have positions for the program. Many graduates finish their masters elsewhere after getting their undergraduate degree from Iowa.
          "They keep saying that what really matters is not whether you win or lose, but how you played the game. The trouble is that the best way to determine how you played the game is by whether you won or lost." - Anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

This is true.

Rivals, IIRC, has between 25-35 5 star kids each year. Going through the last decade they average 30 per season. The kids from 31-250 are 4* kids. Between 251-750 is 3*. Anything outside of 751 is 2 star or not ranked.

When you start looking at NFL drafts by recruiting stars:

It’s not a scientific set of data (you'd need many more years of data than I pulled to make an absolute conclusion), but here’s what the percentage of players drafted per recruiting rankings look like if you combine the handful of years I pulled:
            About 60% of 5 star kids get drafted
            About 25% of four-star kids get drafted
            About 6% of three-star kids get drafted
            About 1-2% of two-star kids get drafted

Five-stars, in general, are eventually drafted 50-plus percent of the time. Three-star players, meanwhile, make it at a rate of around five percent.

So yes, as much as recruiting services are pretty silly for their rankings outside of their top end talent and teams, they generally do a damn good job identifying and "ranking" the talent of kids.

Having said that, yes there are more players of 3 star and lower in the NFL. There are 1,696 players, excluding practice squad, in the NFL. There are roughly 30 five-star kids in any given year. There are roughly 500 three star kids in any given year. Basic math tells you that NFL rosters are going to have significant numbers from outside of the 5 star ranks.

These are important stats to keep in mind for players (and parents) who are "counting on" an NFL career. It seems that most 3 star guys are hoping to be drafted or sign with an NFL team. Yet, the odds are stacked against them. It certainly doesn't mean that they "can't." Your stats show that they indeed can. And maybe just having the dream is okay, but I would have trouble encouraging someone to pursue this path without helping them recognize that the joy may need to be in the journey, not the destination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Cats View Post

Iowa's Masters Speech Path program has twice as many applicants as they have positions for the program. Many graduates finish their masters elsewhere after getting their undergraduate degree from Iowa.
              Of course they do. Read my entire post.

Maybe Ferentz is mistaken. Maybe Jansen is now considering something else. Maybe he always was.

But we do have that one quote made by Ferentz when he announced that Jansen is leaving Iowa that Jansen wants to pursue something that Iowa does not offer. Which makes it relevant to this conversation.

Again, I would love to see Jansen at UNI.
              "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Per his post on social media, Garret Jansen is headed to Minnesota State - Mankato to play his final season of ball.
                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                X