WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2021 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m confused what’s so confusing about this being the same situation. Saying AJ didn’t get offers because his dad but somehow tucker, who’s dad is actually a head coach didn’t impact his recruitment also is wild. Similar ranked player and both had a couple really good offers. Both kids had dads who probably impacted their offers....

Comment

Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
      I’m confused what’s so confusing about this being the same situation. Saying AJ didn’t get offers because his dad but somehow tucker, who’s dad is actually a head coach didn’t impact his recruitment also is wild. Similar ranked player and both had a couple really good offers. Both kids had dads who probably impacted their offers....
      AJ grew up a fan of the school his dad is currently a coach for. He has always wanted to wear purple and gold. Tucker has lived in Des Moines for a couple years. You seriously don't see why these situations are different?

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

AJ grew up a fan of the school his dad is currently a coach for. He has always wanted to wear purple and gold. Tucker has lived in Des Moines for a couple years. You seriously don't see why these situations are different?
        Plus it’s the opportunity to play for a school with sustained success vs playing for D+

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

It’s almost identical situations.Tucker didn’t grow up going to drake games, correct. To argue these situation are not pretty damn near identical is ridiculous. Can you name differences, yes, congrats! They’re not twin brothers with the same dad. The fact is the situation, high school rankings, offers, coaching situation are all very similar. Tucker’s dad is a D1 head coach. Schools probably back off the same way they did with aj because they thought he’d like to play for his dad, the D1 head coach. Amazing how ppl want to argue something so basic. This board is a ball of joy to come to.

Comment

We are all just waiting for the season. No news about the team. No football. No volleyball. Ugh.

Comment

We've applied for a waiver for Mar to be eligible immediately. Will be shocked if it isn't approved.

5-8 minutes of defense from him per night would be huge for this team.
              #MACtion

Comment

I assume the plan for him, then, is to play this year, use the blanket waiver, and come back and play next year?

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                  I assume the plan for him, then, is to play this year, use the blanket waiver, and come back and play next year?
                  Correct. Might as well play him if it has no repercussions for next year. Also looking at another year of Berhow for sure and possibly another year of Pickford.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Correct. Might as well play him if it has no repercussions for next year. Also looking at another year of Berhow for sure and possibly another year of Pickford.
                    Since you're here BC, I might as well ask you, since I've seen conflicting things from other sources. The blanket waiver, does that apply solely to this year seniors or to every player on the team?

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

Since you're here BC, I might as well ask you, since I've seen conflicting things from other sources. The blanket waiver, does that apply solely to this year seniors or to every player on the team?
                      Everyone. This year flat doesn't count as eligibility used and for next year you can have as many extra scholarships as you had eligible seniors. So next year we can have 16 scholarship players (Mar, Berhow, Pickford)
                      #MACtion

Comment

Everyone. This year flat doesn't count as eligibility used and for next year you can have as many extra scholarships as you had eligible seniors. So next year we can have 16 scholarship players (Mar, Berhow, Pickford)
                        Thaaaaaaat's interesting. I assume there's no bleed over, like two years from now it'll go from 16 to a hard 13 again.

Comment

IF (big if) Mid Major schools can keep their 5th year seniors around, this rule is a relative advantage for Mid Majors for the next few years.

Comment

It will become a financial issue for some schools to finance the extra scholarships.
                            "They keep saying that what really matters is not whether you win or lose, but how you played the game. The trouble is that the best way to determine how you played the game is by whether you won or lost." - Anonymous

Comment

Has Berhow commented on this recently? He had a chat with Rima last week and was asked about it, basically said he hasn't looked into the rule or thought about it. I sure hope you're right though. Maybe that was just a generic answer though. I feel like neither Tywhon and Trae having used a redshirt year increases the chances of them coming back next year - I don't know that a ton of guys want to play college ball for 8 years like Grant Gibbs.
                              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

I was reading an article on ESPN a week or so ago about how the new rule would impact the college bball record books as it pertains to individual counting stats like points, rebounds, assists, etc. They mentioned a few guys who could or should break records with the 5th year of eligibility (based on their current pace) but also mentioned the possibility that current freshman eventually take aim at these records as they get started on what will be a 5 year college career.
                                To be sure, this rule grants any eligible player for the 20-21 season an additional season of eligibility!

Comment

Working...
                                X