WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2021 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
    It's weird that the 7 footer from CF has fallen off from recruiting trails so hard. Did he really have that rough of a year?
    He's 6-9 and doesn't do anything that really stands out.

I like the Winkel kid from Algona much better.
    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
      It's weird that the 7 footer from CF has fallen off from recruiting trails so hard. Did he really have that rough of a year?
      He didn't look like a D2 kid from the, admittedly limited, action I saw of him.

Stats also seem to tell a story of a kid that is headed to somewhere like Wartburg, Coe, Dubuque, etc. with a chance at UIU.

Offers came on the fact the kid is 7'. As of now it doesn't seem his skills match those that come with being 7' and being a D2 - or D2 - player. That could change still but 9 ppg 6 rpg <2 bpg is a tough stat line to sell a kid that is 6'10-7' to a D1 school, even a number of D2 schools would go "Um...I guess he's tall and that could help?"

I sorted by just 4A - to avoid the lower class domination one kid can have to skew things

He wasn't top 20 in rebounds in 4A - meanwhile a guy like Tytan, who is much 6 or so inches shorter was second at over 9. He was 5th in blocks, but two blocks away from being in 8th and on a per game basis he falls quite a bit - He played 25 games, the guy he tied with played 22, and the two directly behind him played 22. He was 94th in scoring in 4A.

I think the reality is, if he was from Davenport, Decorah, Council Bluffs, LeMars, or basically another part of the state - and especially not Iowa - none of us would know his name right now. Skinny kid that is somewhere between 6'9-7' that hasn't shown the ability to take anything over, especially given his height advantage over 98% of what he faces.

I could end up being wrong. He could end up being completely dominant. His FT shooting could jump from 65% to 75%. He could go from a 20-25% shooter from outside 15 feet to 30%. He could go from 9 points to 20+ points next season. He could go from 6 boards to 10. I'm not saying the kid doesn't have potential. However, based on where this teams is as a program, what this program needs from kids coming in, etc. it doesn't seem wise to take a flier on a kid that needs 3 years to develop at a position of need simply because he's local. This isn't 15+ years ago where UNI was a bad program and taking chances on kids that didn't have much else for options and hoping the develop is what the program needed. I'm not saying we need day 1 starters, FOY (though we've had a fair number of those kind of kids the last few years). I just, as of 4/29/2020, don't see him as a kid that "warrants" a scholarship to UNI
      GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

• That's all fair. And I wasn't trying to be like "why haven't we offered this guy," more just "where did he go?"

Looking more up about Winkel, sounds like he wants to come to UNI, so that's always nice.
        Last edited by sevelev711; 04-29-2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Have we offered this Winkel kid? Looks like he's made visits here, Iowa, Iowa St and a couple other mid majors. I don't see any offers though.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
            Have we offered this Winkel kid? Looks like he's made visits here, Iowa, Iowa St and a couple other mid majors. I don't see any offers though.
            I'm guessing the plan was to see how well he did in AAU ball, see if he's actually developed or just had one good season. Obviously that plan is kinda out the window now.

Comment

• I don't know a lot about either the Algona kid or the C.F. kid but I would say this about the latter. He's played on two state championship teams and one that could have been a strong contender. They've never really needed big numbers from him and from what I've seen they've never run their offense through him. They've had plenty of rebounders as well. I suspect his reputation has been earned more on the summer circuit and by people assessing his athleticism and upside potential rather than his H.S. stats. But recruiting isn't a science so I hope UNI gets them both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skej75 View Post
                I don't know a lot about either the Algona kid or the C.F. kid but I would say this about the latter. He's played on two state championship teams and one that could have been a strong contender. They've never really needed big numbers from him and from what I've seen they've never run their offense through him. They've had plenty of rebounders as well. I suspect his reputation has been earned more on the summer circuit and by people assessing his athleticism and upside potential rather than his H.S. stats. But recruiting isn't a science so I hope UNI gets them both.
                AAU hasn't proven fruitful for Chase either. UNI is still his only offer, and given how long ago (coming up on a year) it was and how active they've been with Tschetter, I wonder if it's still a good offer.
                GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

AAU hasn't proven fruitful for Chase either. UNI is still his only offer, and given how long ago (coming up on a year) it was and how active they've been with Tschetter, I wonder if it's still a good offer.
                  We get a lot of credit when we offer early and the kid blossoms later to get P5 offers, but maybe this is one we guessed wrong on. Maybe it'll be a blessing he didn't accept our offer.

Comment

• As the grandson of Hall of Famer and major contributor, John Martin, my guess Chase will always be welcome in the Purple and Gold. Seems that I saw the DM Register ranked him very high as an in-state prospect as well so I have no explanation for why only one offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skej75 View Post
                      As the grandson of Hall of Famer and major contributor, John Martin, my guess Chase will always be welcome in the Purple and Gold. Seems that I saw the DM Register ranked him very high as an in-state prospect as well so I have no explanation for why only one offer.
                      He was ranked high, but started to fall when guys like Duax put together really good seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by MBHoops
                        Here’s a video of Chase’s Jr year highlights

His stats this season are the result of the depth and talent on the Cedar Falls team.
                        Think he sat out the entire 4th quarter in 7 or 8 games this season due to Cedar Falls emptying the bench as a result of 30+ pt margins. Also, Joe Knutson is another big on the team that warrants minutes, and CF rarely played the two of them together. Joe has an offer from Truman St to play. Additionally, the team had several solid guards that deserved their looks from deep, Ollendieck, Wolf, Heth, etc... no one on the team averaged over 12 pts this season.

His season numbers really need to be understood in this context, as he only needed to play 14-16 minutes a game, on a team that placed 3rd in state and had the most wins in a season in school history.
                        He’s a team-first guy and a great kid!
                        Have to agree with MBHoops,having watched several games in person and on Ch15, Courbats stats are a result of a guard oriented offense, I think on one of the broadcasts the announcer said CF's coach was battling a lack of awareness from some of his guards at how great the team could be if they would simply focus on getting the ball to courbat.

Courbat does display some incredible athletic ability, often times switching out on to guards and simply locking them up.

His post game needs some work but in truth with his skill set he's a 3 and that will become apparent next year as he stretches out and doesn't simply have to carry the team from the post. Frankly watching the way CF feeds the post, it was amazing he scored at all, never gave him the pass in the right spot, causing a lot of to's and tough catches

As CF was just named the third most dominant team of the decade in Iowa high school basketball by max preps, there will be three names remembered, Harrington, Green, and Courbat, and I wouldn't be surprised if Courbat turns out to be the best

Lets hope the Panthers get him
                        Your home for UNI Panther news and dicussions.

Comment

• That's silly. Just stop. You definitely could be right that he ends up here but he's not even in AJs league.

Best player in program history and 3 time Valley Player of the Year is one hell of a leap for a kid that doesn't average double figures in high school.

If he ends up here, I hope he has a great career but let's be realistic.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                            That's silly. Just stop. You definitely could be right that he ends up here but he's not even in AJs league.

Best player in program history and 3 time Valley Player of the Year is one hell of a leap for a kid that doesn't average double figures in high school.

If he ends up here, I hope he has a great career but let's be realistic.
                            I love your optimism, but as a very superstitious sports fan I hope you didn't just jinx AJ.

And even if I wasn't superstitious I do think it's still too early, with two seasons left to go, that he's the best player in program history and a 3 time Larry Bird Trophy winner.

Comment

• I guess if you are so myopic as to look at the game from only an offensive perspective, there would be no comparison between Green and Courbat, but I like to think defense is important and the effect Courbat has on other teams with his ability to guard all five positions, direct his team from the back line and protect the rim can't be overlooked.

Don't be surprised when he leads the team in 3 point shooting next year, as he was obviously forced to defer to others this year. He's a must get, the only way we can lose him and save face is if a power 5 grabs him and I hear they have been looking, that 15 minute highlight video doesn't lie

Your home for UNI Panther news and dicussions.

Comment

• Has anybody come out with new Iowa high school player rankings since the season ended?
                                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Working...
                                X