WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2021 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
    Would it be a major blow to have him go to ISU? Where do his minutes come from? Wouldn't we still prioritize a post player over Mason at this point given who is all coming back?
    I just hope he picks a good fit for himself. He could go to ISU and be a star. But it also possible to go there and get recruited over quick. Happens a lot in a total rebuild like that. Not saying that would happen. Just something to consider.

And I would be shocked if all transfers are not immediately eligible but it seems even more likely for Cincy transfers to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

I just hope he picks a good fit for himself. He could go to ISU and be a star. But it also possible to go there and get recruited over quick. Happens a lot in a total rebuild like that. Not saying that would happen. Just something to consider.

And I would be shocked if all transfers are not immediately eligible but it seems even more likely for Cincy transfers to be.
      He could be a star, but not if they keep their five star PG from Milwaukee. If he stays with his commitment, then the entire offense will run thru him, or at least a large portion of it. Their rebuild is centered around keeping this recruit, not on older players.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I feel like a waiver would be fairly likely considering Brannen is suspended and the Cincinnati program is under investigation. If they find any wrongdoing, I would think it's almost a guarantee. Then again, it is the NCAA, so who knows.
        Yeah, NCAA approves hardship wavers for homesickness (which you can chuckle at, but it's how we got Trae, so don't chuckle too hard), they're going to approve hardship wavers for a coach (allegedly) being abusive to the players.

Comment

• In a vacuum I'd love to add Mason to our program. I think he's a great fit for our system and could be a really productive player for us. But we're already so deep at guard and we need another post in the worst way. If we have to choose between one or the other I'd have to go for the post player. That's no slight to Mason at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
            In a vacuum I'd love to add Mason to our program. I think he's a great fit for our system and could be a really productive player for us. But we're already so deep at guard and we need another post in the worst way. If we have to choose between one or the other I'd have to go for the post player. That's no slight to Mason at all.
            Yea, I would kind be kind of surprised if we get anyone. It's not that we are a top 10 team or anything. Its just that we do not have the minutes to give (Or wont get a transfer better than we have). I agree we could use another post but we arent getting someone better than Phyfe and he will be playing a lot of minutes. Same with basically every other position, so seems hard to convince someone to come.

A bit of an unusual situation you could say.

Comment

Yea, I would kind be kind of surprised if we get anyone. It's not that we are a top 10 team or anything. Its just that we do not have the minutes to give (Or wont get a transfer better than we have). I agree we could use another post but we arent getting someone better than Phyfe and he will be playing a lot of minutes. Same with basically every other position, so seems hard to convince someone to come.

A bit of an unusual situation you could say.
              It doesn't need to be someone better than Phyfe... Just someone who can supplement him. I'm still holding out hope for Henry but the staff hasn't seemed to show much confidence in him yet.
              If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

It doesn't need to be someone better than Phyfe... Just someone who can supplement him. I'm still holding out hope for Henry but the staff hasn't seemed to show much confidence in him yet.
                I didnt mean to disagree with you. It just seems like a hard ask to get someone here with our current depth. With Carter getting a lot of minutes at the 4. But yes, post depth going forward is a concern. I also have hope for Henry but we need to see it.

Comment

Part of me wonders if Betz can be a Lucas O'Rear type, defensively at least. Physically they're pretty similar, both 6'6". O'Rear a little heavier, but watching this year I felt like Betz is a really strong kid and muscular build upper body. Offensively they're not even close, but if Betz can take the next step to be that bruiser that O'Rear was defensively I think he could fill that spot for a few minutes here and there while Phyfe is on the bench. O'Rear also had an attitude that I don't think Betz can duplicate, but just my 2 cents looking at the guys we have on the roster.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Betz is probably an overall better basketball player than O'Rear, Lucas was just one of those guys who was just kind of good at everything, he played D1 basketball and baseball, I know he was a high school quarterback (I believe all conference), probably good at golf, tennis, volleyball, croquet, and anything else he would want to try. Lucas's greatest quality was his toughness and take no crap attitude, he was an undersized center that wasn't scared to guard a 7 footer, or much more athletic 6'7 guy.

Comment

• Talk of adding a post player is silly, we don't run an offense that utilizes the traditional post position. We had a true post player not long ago and never played him. Tough to recruit a player like that under those circumstances. If Jordan Eglseder came here now as a freshman he'd never see the floor.
                      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

• Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                        Talk of adding a post player is silly, we don't run an offense that utilizes the traditional post position. We had a true post player not long ago and never played him. Tough to recruit a player like that under those circumstances. If Jordan Eglseder came here now as a freshman he'd never see the floor.
                        And whom would that be? Certainly not Austin Phyfe who has made all conference both of the full seasons that he has played. Certainly not Bennett Koch who was a 3 year starter and was the leading scorer on the team. Certainly not Seth Tuttle who was literally an All American and maybe the best player and school history.

Virtually every starting 5 man we have had in the last 10-12 years has been anywhere from pretty good to historically great.

Some of you people find the absolute dumbest hills to die on.

UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Talk of adding a post player is silly, we don't run an offense that utilizes the traditional post position. We had a true post player not long ago and never played him. Tough to recruit a player like that under those circumstances. If Jordan Eglseder came here now as a freshman he'd never see the floor.
                          So Phyfe isn't a post player and he needs to be on the court 40 minutes per game? Got it.
                          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I think you mean Justin Dahl. Dahl was a GREAT player to have to go up against big centers when we encountered them (like Colorado and USCarolina, I think it was). He didn't fit into our offense, but I would love to have another guy like him because he made that team versatile.

Comment

Ironically the game of Jordan Eglseder's life involved hitting two 3s and a couple mid-range jumpers. Kids don't go back to the basket anymore because there's no future playing that way.

Luka Garza is the best back to the basket player in the last 15 years and he HAD to add the 3 point shot to his game just to sneak into the 2nd round.

The game is cyclical and the true post player may come back for all we know, but that's not how anybody is playing right now. Kevin Durant changed everything on that. Hell, the #1 kid coming out this year is a 7-1 point guard. We don't tell tall kids they can't dribble anymore.
                              #MACtion

Comment

I didnt mean to disagree with you. It just seems like a hard ask to get someone here with our current depth. With Carter getting a lot of minutes at the 4. But yes, post depth going forward is a concern. I also have hope for Henry but we need to see it.
                                I feel like we saw glimpses from Henry - I enjoyed how he played anyway. Then he didn’t see the floor at all the last 3 games of the season. It’s been said on here it was a matchup issue with ISUr, and we did win all three of those games so I guess I can’t argue, it just still seemed really odd to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X