WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2022 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Offered 6/9/19
    Committed 8/26/20
    Wow, I was way off. For some reason I thought he committed in the fall/winter.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

I will say I am not overly hopeful for Courbat but he's also a big kid and local. Without other post commits its probably a flyer to take. But who knows.

My counter point is that Betz was extremely hyped by some on here. but his HS numbers for small school Iowa were good but not great. I don't care what position you play, in small school Iowa basketball you should dominate if you are a high mid major player and Betz did not, didn't play AAU, etc. I never really understood the hype but am still hopeful he will be ok.

Krogman on the other hand for example did dominate in a bigger class as you would expect and he's only a walk on.

It does seem like there is a bit of a double standard for Courbat just because "He's Austin Pehl" but I also understand it. I hope both turn out to be good.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
        I will say I am not overly hopeful for Courbat but he's also a big kid and local. Without other post commits its probably a flyer to take. But who knows.

My counter point is that Betz was extremely hyped by some on here. but his HS numbers for small school Iowa were good but not great. I don't care what position you play, in small school Iowa basketball you should dominate if you are a high mid major player and Betz did not, didn't play AAU, etc. I never really understood the hype but am still hopeful he will be ok.

Krogman on the other hand for example did dominate in a bigger class as you would expect and he's only a walk on.

It does seem like there is a bit of a double standard for Courbat just because "He's Austin Pehl" but I also understand it. I hope both turn out to be good.
        The Betz love was/is still based on the fact he's athletically gifted. He's super raw basketball in terms of basketball skill, but he's strong as hell and athletic as hell.

In the same number of games that Courbat played (22) in Betz's senior he shot over 50% from the field, 36% from deep (39-110) went 54/64 from the FT line (85%), had 230 rebounds, averaged over 10 rebounds per game - 8 defensive and nearly 3 offensive

As a junior Betz Betz went 52% from the floor, 40 % from 3 (30/76) 73% from the FT line, had 250 rebounds, 63 assists, and averaged 15 ppg

Sophomore year was 52% overal 25 % from deep, 75% from the line, 160 rebounds, 12.5 ppg

So with Betz there was clear growth every single year. He committed before any other school could recruit him. He only wanted to be a Panther. He had the initial size and raw skillset to warrant an offer. You're right, he didn't play AAU. That means he has played, even with two years in college, probably half, if not even as little as a third, of the basketball, that Courbat has so far. Yet what we've seen from Courbat is flatline progression, if not slight regression, in stat line. We saw literally zero schools recruit him at all other than UNI even though he wasn't committed. His slash line from a JR to SR seasons are as close to identical as you can get at. If we add his Sophomore season in - where he was a bench player - and start to make an educated guess of state line of "per X minutes" so to speak - he didn't really see a massive uptick from his Sophomore season even. His sophomore numbers.are understandably lower with SR Logan Wolf, SR Jack Campbell, SR Jackson Freiricks, SR Matt Abbas and JR Josh Ollendieck on that roster.

I'd say, based on minutes played/practices/camps/etc. Courbat is closer to his ceiling than Betz is.

The comps to Austin aren't entirely fair, I'll grant. They happen because they are both centers from CF who, many believe, got an offer because they were home town kids. Austin also wasn't a super highly productive HS player. IIRC from covering him while working for Rivals he was something like a 14/10 kid as a senior.But he was 6'10, built like a brick house, and played home games a mile from the McLeod Center.

So Courbat plays a game style that is essentially Bennett Koch meets Austin Pehl - seemingly is not going to require any defense off the block - and is built like Bowen Born. I....uh.....man something is going to have to give. Either his career 2-11 from three point range in high school is going to have to completely change and he is going to have to become Jake Koch (good luck, Jake is a generational type talent even as hard some some wanted/still want to try to downplay how good he was), or he needs to add about 80 lbs and figure out how to bang in the post. While Krutwig might be gone the post guys at the Valley level, or above, are not small or weak. They will destroy people built like Courbat. Look how badly Bennett Koch struggled until into his JR year and then SR year with just getting tossed around like a baby's toy.

The phrase "best player ever from CF and will be one of the best ever at UNI" certainly doesn't seem to fit anything we've seen from Courbat. The hype around Betz has never been "going to be the best player in program history" or anything close to that. It has been about how strong and athletic he is, and once he has learned how to use that to play basketball he could be a near All Valley type talent (defensive team or HM)

Krogmann has about half the athleticism of Betz. His numbers are from knowing what his game is and just outworking everyone. He can't shoot off the block it seems though. He shot something like 13% from deep for his HS career and 49% from the line. In the Valley you have to be a very special kind of player to be 6'7, have no offense from outside of "the circle", and average-ish athleticism. If we could combine Betz and Krogmann we'd have a hell of a player. Krogmann is much like Lucas or Marv but less "D1 athletic".
        Last edited by clenz; 06-23-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

The Betz love was/is still based on the fact he's athletically gifted. He's super raw basketball in terms of basketball skill, but he's strong as hell and athletic as hell.
          In the same number of games that Courbat played (22) in Betz's senior he shot over 50% from the field, 36% from deep (39-110) went 54/64 from the FT line (85%), had 230 rebounds, averaged over 10 rebounds per game - 8 defensive and nearly 3 offensive
          As a junior Betz Betz went 52% from the floor, 40 % from 3 (30/76) 73% from the FT line, had 250 rebounds, 63 assists, and averaged 15 ppg
          Sophomore year was 52% overal 25 % from deep, 75% from the line, 160 rebounds, 12.5 ppg
          So with Betz there was clear growth every single year. He committed before any other school could recruit him. He only wanted to be a Panther. He had the initial size and raw skillset to warrant an offer. You're right, he didn't play AAU. That means he has played, even with two years in college, probably half, if not even as little as a third, of the basketball, that Courbat has so far. Yet what we've seen from Courbat is flatline progression, if not slight regression, in stat line. We saw literally zero schools recruit him at all other than UNI even though he wasn't committed. His slash line from a JR to SR seasons are as close to identical as you can get at. If we add his Sophomore season in - where he was a bench player - and start to make an educated guess of state line of "per X minutes" so to speak - he didn't really see a massive uptick from his Sophomore season even. His sophomore numbers.are understandably lower with SR Logan Wolf, SR Jack Campbell, SR Jackson Freiricks, SR Matt Abbas and JR Josh Ollendieck on that roster.
          I'd say, based on minutes played/practices/camps/etc. Courbat is closer to his ceiling than Betz is.
          The comps to Austin aren't entirely fair, I'll grant. They happen because they are both centers from CF who, many believe, got an offer because they were home town kids. Austin also wasn't a super highly productive HS player. IIRC from covering him while working for Rivals he was something like a 14/10 kid as a senior.But he was 6'10, built like a brick house, and played home games a mile from the McLeod Center.
          So Courbat plays a game style that is essentially Bennett Koch meets Austin Pehl - seemingly is not going to require any defense off the block - and is built like Bowen Born. I....uh.....man something is going to have to give. Either his career 2-11 from three point range in high school is going to have to completely change and he is going to have to become Jake Koch (good luck, Jake is a generational type talent even as hard some some wanted/still want to try to downplay how good he was), or he needs to add about 80 lbs and figure out how to bang in the post. While Krutwig might be gone the post guys at the Valley level, or above, are not small or weak. They will destroy people built like Courbat. Look how badly Bennett Koch struggled until into his JR year and then SR year with just getting tossed around like a baby's toy.
          The phrase "best player ever from CF and will be one of the best ever at UNI" certainly doesn't seem to fit anything we've seen from Courbat. The hype around Betz has never been "going to be the best player in program history" or anything close to that. It has been about how strong and athletic he is, and once he has learned how to use that to play basketball he could be a near All Valley type talent (defensive team or HM)
          Krogmann has about half the athleticism of Betz. His numbers are from knowing what his game is and just outworking everyone. He can't shoot off the block it seems though. He shot something like 13% from deep for his HS career and 49% from the line. In the Valley you have to be a very special kind of player to be 6'7, have no offense from outside of "the circle", and average-ish athleticism. If we could combine Betz and Krogmann we'd have a hell of a player. Krogmann is much like Lucas or Marv but less "D1 athletic".
          I wasn't suggesting Krogman was a better recruit. But if you are a high D1 player on GHV you better be the leading scorer as a senior if you are going to be super hyped. Betz was not. (I know he was close but still). It doesnt mean he is not a solid recruit, a bad get or anything like that. Or not going to be a good player etc. It's just that the he was over hyped. (For some reason I convinced my self he redshirted but that's obviously incorrect ha.)

And most people would agree that Courbat is a stretch, other than one poster. At this point it is what it is. Lets jump hope most people are wrong/

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
            And most people would agree that Courbat is a stretch, other than one poster. At this point it is what it is. Lets jump hope most people are wrong/
            Thank you for saying this. I think everyone on here would be thrilled if Chase became a 1st team MVC player. I think the one poster's hype for Chase has turned this into why he's going to suck thread and that's not fair to someone who hasn't had a chance to even dress for the Panthers yet. Let's all hope he plays way above our expectations.
            If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

Thank you for saying this. I think everyone on here would be thrilled if Chase became a 1st team MVC player. I think the one poster's hype for Chase has turned this into why he's going to suck thread and that's not fair to someone who hasn't had a chance to even dress for the Panthers yet. Let's all hope he plays way above our expectations.
              Exactly. I think we're all pretty realistic in that he's the big man project that programs take on in the hopes that he can become something serviceable in the future. We've had varying degrees of success and hopefully he becomes one of the better ones.
              #MACtion

Comment

We have been in contact with 6'2" PG Aaron Carter from Newburgh, New York. The last few contacts we have made or at least been aware of are interesting geographically.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
                  We have been in contact with 6'2" PG Aaron Carter from Newburgh, New York. The last few contacts we have made or at least been aware of are interesting geographically.
                  That is interesting. That’s basically far suburban NYC. I wonder if this will be a trend or a one off?

Comment

He is going to school in Texas this year.

Not that it is much more of a recruiting ground, but it makes a bit more sense when viewed that way.

Comment

He is going to school in Texas this year.

Not that it is much more of a recruiting ground, but it makes a bit more sense when viewed that way.
                      I don't know what it is with Texas, but it seems like every couple years we offer a guy from down there. I think Deon Mitchell and Isaiah Brown are the only two to come here, but oddly, I feel like that's the place outside of Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Illinois where we offer the most.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I don't know what it is with Texas, but it seems like every couple years we offer a guy from down there. I think Deon Mitchell and Isaiah Brown are the only two to come here, but oddly, I feel like that's the place outside of Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Illinois where we offer the most.
                        Without looking at an official list, I'd wager Texas is 5th on most players to come from that state and play for Jake. The only Missouri player I recall was the original AJ (ANTHONY JAMES).

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

Without looking at an official list, I'd wager Texas is 5th on most players to come from that state and play for Jake. The only Missouri player I recall was the original AJ (ANTHONY JAMES).
                          Did some quick digging, TECHNICALLY we did have Jevon Lyle and B.J. Ray from the state of Missouri, though they didn't have any real impact on the roster.

Comment

I think Chris Foster (PG from early 2000’s...now D2 head coach) was from Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by BobCat View Post
                              I think Chris Foster (PG from early 2000’s...now D2 head coach) was from Missouri
                              He was, however I was just going through people that played during the Jake head coach era

Comment

Things have been very quiet on the recruiting front. I think Te Slaa and Campbell are the guys they really want, but other Valley schools definitely appear to be offering kids at a higher rate than us. I don't think that's unique to this year, but it really straps us if these guys decide to go another direction.

Oh, and Kyle Green along with TJ bagged themselves another talented recruit from Minneapolis. Their ability to beat Minnesota for recruits in their city is setting that fan base off in a huge way.
                                Last edited by PantherAlum09; 07-26-2021, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X