WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Offseason Portal Rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
    Weisbrod is definitely a kid that can get his own shot. He showed that at the D2 level at least. He also made multiple last second shots to win games for their team. It's not really quantifiable, but the ability to be clutch and want that moment is a great trait. He also seemed to really be flourishing those last 5-10 games. He was averaging well over 20 ppg and scored over 30 a few times.

I think this is a really nice pick up for us and we might be catching him as he's ascending.
    And there have been some standout performances in the tournament so far from D 2 players; the Gohlke (?) kid from Oakland, and a guard from Washington State who had great success against the Cyclones in the first half, at least.

I expect to see more and more D 2 players transfer up as time goes on, especially to mid-majors like us.

Comment

Pharrel Payne entered the transfer portal from Minnesota. He is another kid we at least had some interest in out of high school.
      All three Minnesota sophomores (Ola-Joseph, Carrington, Payne) are in the Portal. I say we get all three. Instant Valley championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Schack View Post

All three Minnesota sophomores (Ola-Joseph, Carrington, Payne) are in the Portal. I say we get all three. Instant Valley championship.
        It is interesting. They are all local kids. Payne and Carrington played quite a few minutes. I'm curious to see where they end up. It seems like Minnesota is having a lot of turnover this year.
        Last edited by PantherAlum09; 03-28-2024, 12:49 PM.

Comment

It is interesting. They are all local kids. Payne and Carrington played quite a few minutes. I'm curious to see where they end up. It seems like Minnesota is having a lot of turnover this year.
          And does Heise land there to replace some of that. The portal is creating such a weird college dynamic right now.
          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I'd take Carrington in a damn second.

Comment

I wonder what happened with Ola-Joseph. He started 19 games and through January he was playing 20+ mpg, but the last 11 games he only played more than 9 minutes once. I can't imagine it was an injury since he was still getting a handful of minutes.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I wonder what happened with Ola-Joseph. He started 19 games and through January he was playing 20+ mpg, but the last 11 games he only played more than 9 minutes once. I can't imagine it was an injury since he was still getting a handful of minutes.
                From more than one Minnesota speculation site: “It's hard to pinpoint exactly why Ola-Joseph suddenly saw his role disappear on a Gopher team that was playing for the postseason. Rumors that he was in the doghouse with head coach Ben Johnson circulated, but the most likely scenario is that veteran Parker Fox simply outplayed him when he was on the court, bringing energy and a defensive intensity that Ola-Joseph lacked.​”

Another article stated something similar, namely Parker Fox was outplaying him: “After going to the bench on Jan. 27 at Penn State, Ola-Joseph's minutes declined with senior forward Parker Fox becoming the sixth man in a shorter rotation to finish the season.”

Don’t know if we want a guy that lacks energy and defensive intensity, since that’s one our hallmarks.

Comment

Looks like we have been in contact with Southern Indiana transfer Jeremiah Hernandez. He's 6'4" and averaged over 17ppg.

Comment

Looks like we have been in contact with Southern Indiana transfer Jeremiah Hernandez. He's 6'4" and averaged over 17ppg.
                    Did it mostly by attacking the basket and getting to the free throw line, also. Can shoot the 3, but not primary for him. Would be a great get. Averaged more than 20 points per game in OVC play. Dude can fill it up.
                    Last edited by Wxcpanther; 03-29-2024, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Not super quick but aggressive. Bullies smaller defenders by backing them down. Comfortable drawing contact. I like it!

Comment

We have also reached out to LA Pratt, a transfer from Elon. Another bigger physical guard, gonna be junior 6'5" 180. 54% on 2s, 35% on 3s this year. Would be a good piece off the bench if we got him imo

Comment

Jackson Paveletzke is in the portal.....go get him

Comment

Kayden Fish is also in the portal from Iowa State. We offered him out of high school. He would be a solid wing. He played with Pock for AAU ball

Comment

Kayden Fish is also in the portal from Iowa State. We offered him out of high school. He would be a solid wing. He played with Pock for AAU ball
                              IIRC, Iowa St offered him pretty late. It will be interesting to see if he goes to another P6 school. Also, looked at ISUs roster and they have him listed at 6'6" and 250 pounds! He would be an interesting match up in the valley

Comment

Originally posted by GoPanthers85 View Post

IIRC, Iowa St offered him pretty late. It will be interesting to see if he goes to another P6 school. Also, looked at ISUs roster and they have him listed at 6'6" and 250 pounds! He would be an interesting match up in the valley
                                He would be what Noah Carter was trying to be

Comment

Working...
                                X