WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VB: last stretch of regular season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB: last stretch of regular season

The UNI volleyball team swept Evansville last night to win it's 9th straight match (and they've won 11 of their last 12). And it was their 6th sweep in a row. Definitely good play going down the stretch.

Also last night, Creighton beat Missouri State, which means UNI is tied with the Bears for 3rd place in the MVC, and is only trailing the second place Blue Jays by half a match.

Code:
    MVC Volleyball Standings
    [U]Team    	MVC	All[/U]
    Wichita St. 	14-1 	23-4
    Creighton 	13-3 	19-8
    [B]Northern Iowa 	12-3[/B] 	18-9
    Missouri State 	12-3 	23-5
    Illinois St. 	9-7 	17-10
    Southern Ill. 	6-9 	14-13
    Evansville 	5-10 	12-14
    Drake   	4-12 	7-21
    Bradley 	2-13 	3-25
    Indiana State 	0-16 	3-21
    The Panthers play at Southern Illinois tonight, and then return home next weekend for the final pair of regular season matches that will be crucial for MVC tournament seeding, as they host Wichita State and MO State.

UNI has clinched a spot in the MVC tournament, which takes the top 6 teams, but with a good finish they could possibly get a top 2 seed, which would mean a 1st round bye (and thus only having to play one match on that Saturday instead of two).

So let's get out to the McLeod next weekend and cheer on another great Panther team.

Re: VB: last stretch of regular season

Not sure many will read this, since most of y'all seem pretty anti-women's sports. But oh well.

Going into the final weekend of regular season play, the UNI women's volleyball team hosts two critical matches against Wichita State on Friday night (8pm) and Missouri State (8pm).

I sat down and mapped out a few scenarios and what that would mean as far as which seed the Panthers would get going into the MVC tournament.

1) If UNI wins both matches, AND WSU loses at Bradley, the Panthers would win the #1 seed. However since Bradley is 2-14 in conference, I really don't see that happening.
    For the rest of my scenarios, I just assumed that Bradley (2-14) would lose to both WSU (15-1) and MSU (13-3), and that Drake (4-13) would lose at Creighton (13-4).

2) UNI defeats WSU and MSU

1. WSU 16-2
    2. UNI 15-3
    3. CU 14-4*
    4. MSU 14-4*

* With an identical conference record, the first tiebreaker is head-to-head competition. Creighton and Missouri State split 1-1.
    The next tiebreaker used is a "Power rating using Conference matches". If my calculations are right, CU edges MSU in this scenario 111 to 110.
    3) UNI loses to WSU, defeats MSU

1. WSU 17-1
    2. UNI 14-4*
    3. CU 14-4*
    4. MSU 14-4*

* Identical conference record, and all 3 teams are 2-2 in composite head-to-head records among tied teams.
    My calculation of the Power rating yielded:
    UNI 117 > CU 110 > MSU 109
    4) UNI defeats WSU, loses to MSU

1. WSU 16-2
    2. MSU 15-3
    3. UNI 14-4*
    4. CU 14-4*

* Identical conference record, UNI and Creighton split their two matches.
    Power rating: UNI 120 > CU 111
    5) UNI loses both matches

1. WSU 16-2
    2. MSU 15-3
    3. CU 14-4
    4. UNI 13-5

Comment

So really two wins this weekend at home sets them up pretty nicely to make a run at the NCAA Tournament?? Is that right Jay??

Where is the MVC Tourney??
      #MACtion

Comment

VB tournament @ Missouri St.

Comment

Even if they lose both, they could still make a run at the MVC tournament.
          But the big difference is that if they can beat Missouri State on Saturday night, they will get themselves the #2 seed, which means they'd only have to play one match on the first day of the MVC tourney instead of two.

For the MVC volleyball tournament, the top 6 teams make it in.
          On Fri. (Nov. 23) morning, the #4 seed plays the #5 seed, followed by the #3 seed playing the #6 seed.
          Then on Fri. night, the #1 seed plays the #4/#5 winner, followed by the #2 seed playing the #3/#6 winner.
          And the finals are held on the night of Sat. Nov. 24

This year, the tournament will be hosted by Missouri State down in Springfield.

As far as the NCAA tournament, the MVC tourney winner gets an automatic bid. Last year, the MVC also got an at-large in (Missouri State), but I don't know how they're situated this year as far as at-large hopes.

Comment

The #2 seed is a huge deal, because of the bye. If you can, come to the games this weekend. The girls are playing lights-out and our toughest competition will be playing both nights. I know you'll have a good time.
            TH1974: This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Just bumping (setting, and spiking. haha) this thread, to remind people of the volleyball matches in the McLeod Center this weekend.

tonight (fri.), the Panthers take on league-leading Wichita State at 8 p.m.
              and tommorrow night (sat.), UNI take on Missouri State, in a match which will most likely determine who gets the #2 seed (and first round bye) for the MVC tournament.

Comment

I'm on my way out the door to the women's basketball game, then I'm sticking around for VBALL!
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

The Panthers lost to Wichita State 1-3 on Friday night (despite totally dominating the second game). But then bounced back to sweep Missouri State 3-0 tonight, securing the #2 seed in the MVC tourney.

2007 State Farm Missouri Valley Conference Volleyball Championship Schedule
                  Friday/Saturday • November 23 & 24 • Hammons Student Center • Missouri State, host

Friday, November 23 • First Round
                  Game 1: No. 5 Illinois State v. No. 4 Missouri State 10 a.m.
                  Game 2: No. 6 Southern Illinois v. No. 3 Creighton 12:30 p.m

Friday, November 23 • Semifinals
                  Game 3: No. 1 Wichita State v. Winner IlSU/MSU 5 p.m.
                  Game 4: No. 2 UNI v. Winner SIU/CU 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, November 24 • Finals
                  Game 5: Winner Game 3 v. Winner Game 4 4 p.m.

Comment

Working...
                  X