WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 game skid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 game skid

Wow 5 games, too many women hurt. I wonder who else is going to redshirt this year?

Re: 5 game skid

Rachel Madrigal is still hurt???

Comment

Too many road trips + a very, very young team, new coaches, injuries, loss of some key players & no home cooking is not the way to make alot of positves happen ! We just have to stick with them and the future will be fun! That means we have to get some people to the McLeod Center when they are at home!

Go Panthers !
      If it has anything to do with UNI it has to be cool !

Comment

I definitely agree that we have to stick by them. They will make it through this season and gain some valuable experience along the way. I heard that Rachel Madrigal will be out on crutches until Jan 17. Too bad, she looked very good in the first few games.

Comment

Originally posted by panther2317
          I would hope that some people/businesses took advantage of the $50 Women's Sports Pack - where you can get 25 tickets to any Women's sporting event. It would be great to see some larger crowds for this teams. I know schedules are tight and I can't make it to every UNI event either, but I'd like to see some people take advantage of the low ticket prices to get into the McLeod to see this team. Build a fan base, let prospective recruits see that there is interest and when they get to be very good...then the tickets will be in demand. $2 for a ticket...you can't beat that.
          No offense, but we haven't been able to hand out tickets for free and attract a crowd in the past. Many in the Cedar Valley wouldn't sit through an entire women's college game if you paid THEM to do it. I'm sorry, but if the women's team wants to ever see anywhere near a packed house, they might want to move back to the West Gym. It's nice that these girls try hard, but women's basketball is just ever going to be a draw in Cedar Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI05Alum View Post
            No offense, but we haven't been able to hand out tickets for free and attract a crowd in the past. Many in the Cedar Valley wouldn't sit through an entire women's college game if you paid THEM to do it. I'm sorry, but if the women's team wants to ever see anywhere near a packed house, they might want to move back to the West Gym. It's nice that these girls try hard, but women's basketball is just ever going to be a draw in Cedar Falls.
            You make a lot of true points in that post. But I don't think moving back to the West Gym would help. We have big time facilities, may as well use them.

Is anyone familiar with ISU Women's basketball? I'm not. Have they always had good fan support, or has it been built up over the last 5+ years?

Comment

Maybe we're looking at it the wrong way. Instead of thinking about how to encourage or "push" people to support the team? What about honing in on the factors that "pull" fans to the team or an event?

I'm talking about deeper than a 50% off ticket or a half-court shot for $1,000,000. There's at least a handful of D-III women's teams that draw more fans on a given homegame than UNI. Maybe some of that is from having a boys game that follows...

Comment

That's the most piss-poor attitude I've read on this forum. I know a ton of people don't enjoy women's athletics. But they seems to sell tickets for women's basketball in more than a handful of places in the country and they seem to have a similar make-up as the Cedar Valley (an aging population that would like to see basketball played the way it used to be - a team oriented game with a premium on passing and shooting and not dunks and physical play - and a base of young families that would like to see next to free athletic entertainment for their young girls).

The attitude that women's sports is not worth watching is narrow-minded and barbaric. Where do you think they should be...the kitchen Welcome to the 2000's...women can play hoops.

Even if you don't like "women's sports' per se...it's UNI sports that you support. Try supporting something other than football or basketball a couple of times a year. If it's only a couple of dollars...I'm not sure why people can't support it.
                First off, no one is saying that women can't play basketball. What I am saying is that it isn't fun to watch for the average person; in fact it can be downright painful at times. It is not barbaric to say that people don't want to watch women play sports; it's honest.

Comment

I'm not sure how you can speak for every average person in the Cedar Valley. I'm average and I love basketball. Men's, women's, junior high...doesn't matter.

Say that YOU don't like to watch women's sports. I'll watch any sports at UNI if I have the time and money.
                  Women's sports are awful to watch; particularly when you have a lackluster/subpar women's team at your school*double whammy*. Obviously I am more 'average' than yourself seeing as I, like most Cedar Valley residents would rather watch paint dry than watch UNI women's basketball. It is painful and unpleasant to watch for most of us; you may be one of the 50 or so exceptions...congrats. You are truly a better person... Next thing you'll be telling us is that the women's team is as good as a men's team...(MAYBE a junior high men's team...but I digress...) The women get scholarships, keep in shape throughout college, their parents get to watch them compete for 4 more years, and at the end of it all they come out with an education. All the more power to them. While this all might seem harsh, that is not my intention; my intent is to be honest and call it like I *and many others* see it. To hell with political correctness...

Comment

Women's sports are awful to watch; particularly when you have a lackluster/subpar women's team at your school*double whammy*. Obviously I am more 'average' than yourself seeing as I, like most Cedar Valley residents would rather watch paint dry than watch UNI women's basketball. It is painful and unpleasant to watch for most of us; you may be one of the 50 or so exceptions...congrats. You are truly a better person... Next thing you'll be telling us is that the women's team is as good as a men's team...(MAYBE a junior high men's team...but I digress...) The women get scholarships, keep in shape throughout college, their parents get to watch them compete for 4 more years, and at the end of it all they come out with an education. All the more power to them. While this all might seem harsh, that is not my intention; my intent is to be honest and call it like I *and many others* see it. To hell with political correctness...

You know, in every forum or message board there is always someone like you to make **** out of something you know absolutely nothing about. If you hate womens sports and the UNI basketball team, why are you on here?? Go bother someone else with your pathetic comments. You obviously must be a depressed person, do us all a favor and go buy yourself a rope.

(with that last little comment, I agree, to hell with political correctness!)
                    Last edited by cbreeze38; 01-03-2008, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbreeze38 View Post
                      You know, in every forum or message board there is always someone like you to make **** out of something you know absolutely nothing about. If you hate womens sports and the UNI basketball team, why are you on here?? Go bother someone else with your pathetic comments. You obviously must be a depressed person, do us all a favor and go buy yourself a rope.

(with that last little comment, I agree, to hell with political correctness!)
                      I don't hate the team, it's just boring as hell to watch them play basketball. I'm sure they are all nice young ladies; but that doesn't change the fact that they are not at all fun to watch. If you enjoy women's basketball all the more power to you; but most of us would rather watch grass grow. That doesn't take anything away from your enjoyment of the event, so there's no reason to get so worked up over someone else's lack of support. I've seen the attendance figures of women's games at UNI, and obviously there are more persons with my train of thought on this subject than yours. It's great that you have passion for something that most of us find awful to view, but to insinuate death is a good option for someone that is depressed is well...depressing. I think that I'll let the experts work with you, as most persons will be able to see who has the mental disorder by reading your ridiculous response.

Comment

Congrats on making yourself look like such an a$$ so early in 2008. Should be a heckuva a year for you.

Comment

I don't hate the team, it's just boring as hell to watch them play basketball. I'm sure they are all nice young ladies; but that doesn't change the fact that they are not at all fun to watch. If you enjoy women's basketball all the more power to you; but most of us would rather watch grass grow. That doesn't take anything away from your enjoyment of the event, so there's no reason to get so worked up over someone else's lack of support. I've seen the attendance figures of women's games at UNI, and obviously there are more persons with my train of thought on this subject than yours. It's great that you have passion for something that most of us find awful to view, but to insinuate death is a good option for someone that is depressed is well...depressing. I think that I'll let the experts work with you, as most persons will be able to see who has the mental disorder by reading your ridiculous response.
                          May you be blessed with daughters that are athletic and make your life a living ****.

Comment

First off, no one is saying that women can't play basketball. What I am saying is that it isn't fun to watch for the average person; in fact it can be downright painful at times. It is not barbaric to say that people don't want to watch women play sports; it's honest.
                            People will come to see a winning team, it's been proven all over the midwest. ISU women average more fans than either the UNI or Iowa men. MO State/SMS packed their arena when Jackie Stiles was playing and the Bears were winning. If coach Warren can put together some 20 win seasons, some NCAA tournament appearances and a conference championship here and there, butts will be in the seats.

How many fans would be watching the UNI men if the typical season was 8-10 wins??
                            Last edited by in_the_stands; 01-04-2008, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                              People will come to see a winning team, it's been proven all over the midwest. ISU women average more fans than either the UNI or Iowa men. MO State/SMS packed their arena when Jackie Stiles was playing and the Bears were winning. If coach Warren can put together some 20 win seasons, some NCAA tournament appearances and a conference championship here and there, butts will be in the seats.

How many fans would be watching the UNI men if the typical season was 8-10 wins??
                              This is the correct answer. With womens bb, moreso than mens or football, the team has to be successful first, then the fans will follow. Sure some people will never want to watch it no matter how successful they are, but a large number of fans will watch just about any sport any gender if the team is highly competitive.
                              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Working...
                              X