WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Softball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
    found my answer, Drake & Valpo will play a DH after our game starting at 2 PM, per Drake's Twitter.
    On the 17th, we play a doubleheader in CF vs Drake. However, according to the panther website they state 4pm and 6:30pm. I am sure the site will be determined by weather. This season for the ladies hasn't been weather favorable. (Or offensive favorable considering this past weekend's shutouts.)

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post

On the 17th, we play a doubleheader in CF vs Drake. However, according to the panther website they state 4pm and 6:30pm. I am sure the site will be determined by weather. This season for the ladies hasn't been weather favorable. (Or offensive favorable considering this past weekend's shutouts.)
      Drake/Valpo played Sunday after UNI game. Tuesday vs Drake games will be played in UNI dome.

Comment

Not a great time to be playing Drake, they're looking like they could run the table right through the tournament. They could end up with a decent enough RPI to actually get an NCAA at-large bid should they get upset in the MVC tournament, which is unlikely since they have 3 of the top 4 pitchers in the conference.

Disappointing that we are under .500 in the MVC and we haven't even played Drake, ISU Red or SIU yet. Looking like a rocky road ahead.

Comment

Disappointing season. We seemed to start strong in the beginning of season but have been very sluggish for awhile. I wonder if the extensive road travel had a negative impact on play.

Comment

I think that's a reasonable theory - Iowa actually skipped a weekend early in the season, and they are having what for them is a good season. Plus I'd guess Iowa flies on a lot of their longer trips, where we generally go by bus. I know I'd get tired of that many long bus trips every freaking weekend.

With Spencer's apparent injury(s?) that puts even more of a spotlight on Lange's transfer out. Our current #1 pitcher, Craig, was our #4 last year. Our #2 is a freshman, and our #3 is a converted center fielder who hadn't pitched since high school. Buchannan had a 1.43 ERA last year; closest this year is Spencer with 2.60. On the batting side, last year we had 47 HR's; this year, at about the 2/3 point in the season we have 12. So we've had to rely on stringing together a bunch of singles to score, and some days that doesn't work well. To be fair, most of the drop off in HR's is due to graduating seniors, such as Varianno, Wolfe, et al. But Bailey (who is a really good hitter), had 8 her soph year, 2 last year and only 1 so far this year.
            Last edited by in_the_stands; 04-17-2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

UNI dropped both games against Drake today. Actually, not surprising considering how Drake has been playing as of late. However, a little disappointing that we had another shut out again today.

Comment

Drake is awesome at sports that nobody cares about. Interesting strategy as an athletic department.
                #MACtion

Comment

Indeed. Our own hires for WBB and SB have done pretty well, but for the present the Bulldogs are superior in those sports.

Seems likely that Barancyzk will move on to bigger and better things at some point; I wonder if she was a candidate for the Minnesota job until Lindsay Whalen became available. For SB, Calvert has been there awhile and this season is exceptional for them. The Iowa job will probably open up after this season, and he had been an assistant there in the past. So the Bulldogs may be returning to the rest of the MVC pack in the future.

Comment

Iowa isn't hiring a male softball coach.

See: Griesbaum, Tracy.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                      Drake is awesome at sports that nobody cares about. Interesting strategy as an athletic department.

Good point for most years. but they had men's and women's basketball this year!

Comment

The men's program went .500 this year. For them, sure that's fine, but most fans wouldn't be remotely excited about that. Women's program is top notch.
                        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                        Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                        - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          Iowa isn't hiring a male softball coach.

See: Griesbaum, Tracy.
                          I know that's been the narrative about Big Ten women's sports, but then Iowa hired Bond Shymansky. Not sure how many female SB coaches would want to work for Barta, given how the situation with Gayle Blevins went (not to mention the Griesbaum/Meyer thing).

Comment

The softball team is in Cedar Falls this weekend versus Indiana State. With recent weather, probably in the Dome again. On the 24th, UNI travels to Des Moines to take on Drake again.

Comment

I heard Spencer was going to have an MRI for her injury. Any word on the outcome? Thanks!

Comment

Have you heard what her injury is? Nothing at all in the media. At this point might be better to shut her down and have her ready for a strong season next year, as Drake did with Newman a year ago.

There's a possibility that Sunday's game might be outside at Robinson-Dresser. Saturday is in the Dome for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X