WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volleyball 2018

A Iowa State fan told me yesterday that UNI just had a returning player quit the squad but they couldn't remember who it was. Is that true or was this just another Clone fan who doesn't know what they are talking about?

I hadn't heard anything along those lines, but comparing last year's roster with what is currently listed as this year's roster, there are a number of individuals who are no longer listed (aside from Heather Hook, who graduated/exhausted her eligibility):
    Moriah Johnson (would have been a Sr)
    Bri Weber (would have been a Sr)
    Kati Cassabaum (would have been a Soph)
    Taylor Allen (would have been a Soph)

Johnson and Weber were significant contributors last season. Kind of shocked not to see them listed.

Comment

Damn sorry to hear that Bri Weber is not returning. We were (and maybe still are) looking at a really strong team if the setter transition from Hook to Koop goes well. IIRC the MSU players who really stuck the daggers in us last season were both seniors.

Johnson was a DMACC transfer and a decent backup for Thomas. I was hoping we were finished with multiple transfers out after that batch a couple of years ago.

Comment

I'm just worried the team could get off to a rough start given how challenging their non-conference schedule is.
        6 matches in the first 9 days all against teams that made at least the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney last season.

Comment

Yeah, I was really looking forward to this season, I expected them to make a decent run in the tourney, but it's going to be difficult losing Bri. Still should be good, just not as good.

Comment

Just read the Register article about last season's win over ISU, which mentioned Johnson's older sister played for the Clones. That might be how Plainsmen Panther's ISU friend knew about it. It also said she has medical field ambitions, and at first did not intend to play college VB.

I'd forgotten, but Cassabaum was the one who played WBB at St Ambrose before transferring in. Saw in her bio that before that, she'd signed a NLI to play VB at UNI and then didn't attend. Looks from the outside like a kid who just hasn't figured out what to do yet.
            Last edited by in_the_stands; 07-17-2018, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
              I'd forgotten, but Cassabaum was the one who played WBB at St Ambrose before transferring in. Saw in her bio that before that, she'd signed a NLI to play VB at UNI and then didn't attend. Looks from the outside like a kid who just hasn't figured out what to do yet.
              can't hold that against her. heck, I still haven't figure that out for myself. haha.

It isn't that unusual for one or two underclassmen to drop off the roster, deciding to put priorities on things other than volleyball, or any of many other valid reasons. I don't fret too much about that, but it does seem unusual when a key returning player who had been getting quite a bit of time on the court doesn't return. Not that we're really owed any sort of explaination, but still, the curiousity is there.

Comment

mentioned Johnson
                said she has medical field ambitions, and at first did not intend to play college VB.

Do I remember that Bri wants to be a nurse? Maybe she was accepted by a nursing program after three years. (I don't think she redshirted, but I could be wrong.)

Darn it, she was my favorite player last year - strong in both the front and back row.

Comment

At this point, I think everyone should remain calm. Roster changes happen. Personally, I have the utmost confidence that our coaching staff has everything under control. I am approaching the season with a positive half-full mentality. The team could struggle in their nonconference portion due to challenging level of that schedule portion but it will only make the team stronger. I see the team challenging for conference title like always and making NCAA tourney again.

Comment

The preseason Coaches Poll was released today.

UNI's first week or so of the season goes like this:

Friday: #13
                    Saturday: #10 & #5
                    Wednesday: #21
                    Friday: RV (#33)
                    Saturday: RV (#33)

Then they have an easier weekend (no teams that received votes), followed by a weekend with #12 and #13. And #26 on a Sunday in the middle of their conference schedule.

Comment

So they just have to win 2 of the first 3 and they will start getting noticed. Then win the next 5 and they will be ranked. Then as soon as they lose a conference game they will drop out of the rankings with no chance to return again.
                      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Return 4/6 of the starters on a round of 32 team and not a single vote? Alrighty then.

Comment

I see the athletic department is doing a big social media push on the Iowa State match on August 29th. Any panthernation thoughts on how attendance will be for that? Also, will it be more Panther or ISU fans if we see higher numbers in the stands?

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                            I see the athletic department is doing a big social media push on the Iowa State match on August 29th. Any panthernation thoughts on how attendance will be for that? Also, will it be more Panther or ISU fans if we see higher numbers in the stands?
                            Previous years, they've often done $1 ticket specials for the Iowa State match, and done a push to get high student attendance for that match, resulting in some of the biggest volleyball attendance numbers in school history for those matches.
                            Without the discounted tickets, there likely won't be quite as many people there, but it should still be a good crowd. ISU always has a big chunk of fans there, but it will be mostly Panther fans.

Lately, the UNI vs. Iowa State volleyball matches have usually been fun, closely-contested matches that more often than not have gone 5 sets and/or involved sets that go long (i.e. past 25, or past 15 for the 5th).

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

Lately, the UNI vs. Iowa State volleyball matches have usually been fun, closely-contested matches that more often than not have gone 5 sets and/or involved sets that go long (i.e. past 25, or past 15 for the 5th).
                              I believe I watched last year's on TV. It was awesome. Didn't one set last year go close to 40 for winning team? I will definitely catch this one (maybe in person if my schedule permits).

I know in the past the athletic department has also given free admission to football ticket holders to matches that follow football games but this year's schedule only has one date in which that could happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X