WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VBfan19... is that Mahi girl going to be redshirted? I know she was fighting for the setter position. Would seem like a waste of a year if she doesn't play. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Daddie View Post
      VBfan19... is that Mahi girl going to be redshirted? I know she was fighting for the setter position. Would seem like a waste of a year if she doesn't play. Thanks.
      my guess is that as long as Koop does a decent job, they probably won't play Mahi, and treat this year as a redshirt year. Up until recently, Bobbi almost always redshirted freshmen, and I'm sure she'd prefer not to play a true-freshman at the setter position. Plus, from some of the gossip I've hear, Mahi has some areas of the game that she needs some improvement on, so spending a year working on those things, and just learning the system in general, without burning a year of eligibility would be a good thing.

Of course, if Koop ends up struggling, or getting injured, then Mahi redshirting would no longer be an option this year. But Koop seems to be doing alright. Not quite up to Heather Hook standards, but she's improving (and of course, she hasn't always had the best of passes to work with)

Comment

some notes on this week's AVCA coaches poll:
        UNI remains the second team listed in the "receiving votes" category (so essentially #27), one point behind Iowa State. But the point total of both teams has dropped quite a bit.

Illinois moved up to #8, and Creighton moved up to #10. So UNI will take on two top ten opponents this weekend.
        USC dropped to 16, Kentucky dropped to 20.
        Marquette (who UNI will play in a Sunday match later on this season) moved up to 21, and Washington State moved up to 22
        Last edited by vbfan19; 09-10-2018, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
          some notes on this week's AVCA coaches poll:
          UNI remains the second team listed in the "receiving votes" category (so essentially #27), one point behind Iowa State. But the point total of both teams has dropped quite a bit.

Illinois moved up to #8, and Creighton moved up to #10. So UNI will take on two top ten opponents this weekend.
          USC dropped to 16, Kentucky dropped to 20.
          Marquette (who UNI will play in a midweek match later on this season) moved up to 21, and Washington State moved up to 22
          Already knocked off one, what's two more?

Comment

I am optimistic. I see that if UNI wins two of the three (Marquette, Illinois, or Creighton) we will be back in top 25. Unless UNI plays horrible in all three matches, they will gain alot of votes this week.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
              I am optimistic. I see that if UNI wins two of the three (Marquette, Illinois, or Creighton) we will be back in top 25. Unless UNI plays horrible in all three matches, they will gain alot of votes this week.
              UNI doesn't play Marquette until October 21 (and I was mistaken earlier, that is a Sunday, not a midweek match. And evidently it is "Star Wars Night", even though the match starts at 2 p.m., so it isn't exactly night, though I suppose it could be night in a galaxy far far away)

The other team that they play this weekend is Lipscomb.

Comment

Oops. Misread that Marquette match timing. Hopefully, the force is with us for that match.

Comment

"Star Wars Night vs. Marquette Hamill"

Comment

Good Grief! What a killer schedule. Survive and get to conference play.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                      "Star Wars Night vs. Marquette Hamill"
                      Haha. Does Star Wars night mean the crowd dresses up as Star Wars characters? Darn I don't own a gold bikini.

In all seriousness, I like that the athletic department is trying to draw fans in with various different promotions and activities.

Comment

Panthers get a nice sweep over Lipscomb (17,20,16) to start off the Illini Classic at the University of Illinois. UNI had very efficient effort, with a season high .385 attack percentage and a season low 10 attack errors.
                        Great to be able to get a quick 3-set win in order to conserve energy for this evening's match against #8 Illinois (8-0 on the season) at 5 p.m., and then tomorrow morning's 10 a.m. rematch against #10 Creighton.

Comment

What were results of the Illinois match? I don't see it posted on the panther athletic website. I wasn't able to catch the match at all.

Update: Illini website posted that we were swept and Illinois is 9-0 on season. Hopefully we fare better tomorrow.
                          Last edited by panthergirl123; 09-14-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Hard to beat a team, harder to beat a team twice. Man I hope they can pull it off against Creighton.

Comment

Panthers stunk it up against Creighton this morning. won in an easy sweep. First weekend was fools gold, UNI is definitely not a top 30 team. If they can take care of business in Valley play, they should be alright. non-conference win/loss record isn't all that impressive, but its a tough strength of schedule, which hopefully helps enough if they're needing an at-large. But if they lay any eggs in conference play and lose matches they shouldn't lose, they won't be comfortable on selection sunday.

fun fact from the Chrises on the UNI radio coverage: Piper Thomas is planning on joining the Marine Corps after college, possibly the Officer Candidate program

Comment

And I was so jazzed after that first weekend too. Dang. Hopefully they take care of conference play, and there's still that Marquette game later on.

Comment

Working...
                                X