WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was worried after we blew the 16-5 lead over Bradley in set 1, though we recovered nicely. Koop is still having to run around to get passes, blocking isn't consistently good, and sometimes we have a hard time keeping the ball off the floor. Thomas now has both knees wrapped, and while she's still pretty good, doesn't look to me like she's as quick as last year. OTOH, of the MVC games I've seen, most of the opponents have stretches where they played pretty well, even Evansville. I haven't seen the Bears play yet, I've been wondering what happened to them. I was expecting better, even considering their graduation losses.

Too bad we didn't play Iowa State a couple of weeks later, they really went into a funk.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
      Too bad we didn't play Iowa State a couple of weeks later, they really went into a funk.
      From what I've heard, injuries have played a pretty big part there. who'd have thought that Iowa State would qualify as our "worst loss" in terms of RPI/Pablo/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
        From what I've heard, injuries have played a pretty big part there. who'd have thought that Iowa State would qualify as our "worst loss" in terms of RPI/Pablo/etc.
        Speaking of "things that are used to determine seeding in the tournament," let me ask you a question, since your the person on this board who follows volleyball the most (you can probably guess where this is going): Let's pretend that UNI wins out. That's rest of conference play, the tournament, and the game against Marquette. That'll probably have the RPI at 15 at lowest. Do you think they would give UNI a top 16 seed and let them host?

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

Speaking of "things that are used to determine seeding in the tournament," let me ask you a question, since your the person on this board who follows volleyball the most (you can probably guess where this is going): Let's pretend that UNI wins out. That's rest of conference play, the tournament, and the game against Marquette. That'll probably have the RPI at 15 at lowest. Do you think they would give UNI a top 16 seed and let them host?
          I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. There is already going to be a number of hosts in the midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska all have a good chance), and the ncaa will be looking to get seeds/hosts elsewhere in the country, to cut down on travel costs.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
            I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. There is already going to be a number of hosts in the midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska all have a good chance), and the ncaa will be looking to get seeds/hosts elsewhere in the country, to cut down on travel costs.
            Yeah, figured as much. Can't blame the NCAA for not wanting almost a third of the tournament taking place in the upper midwest in December.

Comment

Of course they don't mind that most of baseball and softball take place in the sunbelt.

Comment

Yeah, it's not like they're playing volleyball outdoors. If that's where the best teams are located for volleyball, that's where the games should be held - they earn it with their play throughout the year.
                Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                - George Halas

Comment

I also don't think UNI really has that strong a resume to garner a top 16 seed. Yes, the RPI may possibly end up in the 15-17 range if they win out, and they do have 2 decent wins, but those came in the first couple days of the season, and there are a number of losses. So I'm sure there will be 16 other teams with just as strong or stronger argument for seeding.

Comment

SIU's gym is old and tiny. Can be intimidating home court advantage when it is full, but with the Salukis struggling this year, there aren't many people there.
                    Lots of balls bouncing off the ceiling, rafters, banners, etc. And the camera-work for the webstream is alot of low-level handheld/shoulder camera shots. Definitely not ideal for volleyball coverage.

I suppose if UNI still played in the West Gym, they'd have some of the same issues. While I sometimes miss the intense atmosphere of the West Gym, I'm glad we've moved to the McLeod.

Comment

Ick. UNI just dropped a set to SIU (the first set that the Salukis have won in conference play this season, as they had been swept in their 6 previous MVC matches.
                      UNI just too sloppy at times on serve receive and with unforced hitting errors.

Comment

Panthers bounce back with a 25-11 win of set 3, hitting .704. Glad to see them get things straightened out. On to set 4

Comment

UNI wins the fourth to take the match 3 sets to 1. Perhaps not as crisp as it should have been, but they got the job done. Time to hop on the plane to Springfield, MO (or maybe they stay in Carbondale and fly tomorrow, I dunno. Or maybe they don't fly, though I thought I heard that they did for this road trip given the distance between the two).

Anyhow, Missouri State was able to defeat Drake in 3 close sets (21, 23, 28) behind a season high 17 team blocks, and 17 kills from Ashley Ophoven. The Bears have struggled with a young team this season after losing some major players to graduation, but are starting to get things worked out, so the Panthers will have to be on their game tomorrow night.

Comment

I watched some of MOST-Drake, Bears aren't what they were last year, but can still find a weak spot in the defense when they need a point. Drake had to have been really frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                              I watched some of MOST-Drake, Bears aren't what they were last year, but can still find a weak spot in the defense when they need a point. Drake had to have been really frustrated.
                              I watched UNI's match in its entirety (with CKS's radio call synched to the video instead of the SiU announcers. kinda had to laugh when he had to chew out the lady that knocked over some of his equipment), then flipped over to the DU/MSU match for te end of the 2nd and the 3rd set. I like their volleyball floor and was wondering how they managed that until I remembered that their basketball teams play in a different arena.
                              Then I flipped over to Loyola at Bradley, but only saw the last couple points.

UNI should be able to beat MSU, but they can't have the lapses they've had against Evansville and SIU.

Comment

Hopefully they spent more of their prep time this week on MSU, not SIU.

Comment

Working...
                                X