WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball @ #4 Texas, vs Liberty, @ (RV) Texas State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volleyball @ #4 Texas, vs Liberty, @ (RV) Texas State

As always, Peterson is never afraid to schedule tough, starting the year off on the road against a decent team and a fantastic team. Texas is Friday at 7 PM, Liberty is Saturday at 11:30 AM, and Texas State is Saturday at 7 PM.

Panthers and Longhorns currently tied at 1-1, UNI trailing just 13-15 in the third set.

Comment

Great game so far.
      Texas with so much power outside but I haven’t seen much out of the middle.

Comment

And weird to hear Peterson on the wrong side.

Comment

Fatigue at the end of the third.

Comment

Panthers drop the third set 25-23. Service errors crushed them that set, not with the amount per se, but rather the un-clutch-ness of them, including the set point for Texas.

Comment

UNI has struggled at times in recent seasons with giving up big runs late in sets that let their opponent win sets that the Panthers have led for the majority of it.
              And while Karlie Taylor can have a pretty wicked serve when she is on, but when she isn't she is far too likely to rack up service errors (which is obviously the case tonight)

Comment

Another close set in the 4th, 15-14 UNI. Regardless of the result, UNI is looking pretty good, considering all the service errors and an injured player (I am realizing that Texas also has a hurt player).

Edit: Well I said that, but they're not looking too great closing out the match here.
                Last edited by sevelev711; 08-30-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

And that's the match, Texas wins the fourth and final set 25-19. Up until I said they were looking good...they were looking good. Certainly looked like they wouldn't mind ripping a couple when they come home next weekend, not that tomorrow night's match will be a cakewalk, though.

Comment

both teams had some shaky play at times, but that is to be expected in the first match of the season. Would have been phenomenal to get the win, or at least force a fifth set, but still, not a bad showing.... going in and playing the #4 team in the nation on their home floor and leading much of the match (I haven't done the math, but I'd guess that UNI had the lead in each set for more points than UT did, though of course Texas pulled off runs at the end when it mattered most).

Impressive debut from Emily Holterhaus, coming into her collegiate debut as a true freshman on the road against a packed house at the #4 team in the nation, and playing outside hitter despite having been a middle throughout high school.

Comment

Panthers have about an hours drive south to San Marcos and a quick turnaround with a 11:30 match tomorrow morning, and sometimes it can be tough to generate energy when you go from a packed raucous crowd (even if they're opposing fans) to a gym with maybe 50 people in the stands for a morning match on a neutral court (though I'm guessing there is a decent contingent of UNI fans and Petersen relations that are in Texas and will come to the match), and Liberty isn't a total pushover.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                        but still, not a bad showing.... going in and playing the #4 team in the nation on their home floor and leading much of the match (I haven't done the math, but I'd guess that UNI had the lead in each set for more points than UT did, though of course Texas pulled off runs at the end when it mattered most)..
                        Now I have done the math.
                        There were 183 total points played in the match.
                        The set in question was tied after 19% of those points (34)
                        Texas led the set in question after 30% of those points (55)
                        UNI led the set in question after 51% of those points (94)

Comment

That's both disappointing and encouraging, for the exact same reasons.

Comment

UNI got a win against Liberty today, 3-1. They've got one more tonight against a more rested, also receiving votes Texas State. Will be another tough one.

Comment

need to cut down on unforced attack errors and service errors.

Comment

Working...
                              X