WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball hosts three top 25 teams in the McLeod this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volleyball hosts three top 25 teams in the McLeod this weekend.

UNI volleyball is hosting one of the most exciting volleyball tournaments in the nation this weekend in the McLeod Center.

Kentucky (was ranked #7 in the preseason, now #12), USC (#14 preseason, #15 now), and Creighton (#18 preseason, #23 now) all come to town

The Panthers (who are receiving votes, but haven't quite cracked the top 25) are coming off an opening weekend where they were quite competitive at Texas (who was ranked #4 in the preseason and #3 now), winning set and leading for the majority of the others before giving up some late runs. So I believe that with a home crowd behind them, UNI has a good chance to win any of those 3 matches if they're able to play well. And in any case, it should be exciting volleyball all weekend.

Ticket prices are quite affordable ($5 for each morning session, $10 for each evening session), and if you're attending the football game against SUU, you can show your football ticket at the door to get in to the 7:30 match that night for free.

You could come for the 10:30 match against USC on Saturday morning, then tailgate for a couple hours afterward, catch the football game, then return for the match against Kentucky.
    (the Friday night match against Creighton is well worth the trip too, I guarantee it)

Friday, September 6 – Cedar Falls, Iowa (McLeod Center)
    #23 Creighton vs #12 Kentucky – 10:30 a.m.
    #15 USC vs #12 Kentucky – 5:00 p.m.
    (RV) UNI vs #23 Creighton – 7:30 p.m.
    Saturday, September 7 – Cedar Falls, Iowa (McLeod Center)
    (RV) UNI vs #15 USC – 10:30 a.m.
    #23 Creighton vs #15 USC – 5:00 p.m.
    (RV) UNI vs #12 Kentucky – 7:30 p.m.

There will be 5 of us there for the Friday night and Saturday morning matches before we head to the Football game. Go Panther!

Comment

I've got a good feeling, I'm seeing a couple wins this weekend.

Comment

Creighton defeats Kentucky 3-1 in the opening match of the tournament (25-23 20-25 25-18 25-22)
        I don't like the SEC, so I was pulling for Creighton in this one. And ideally, all 3 of these teams would finish the season in the top 25 of RPI, which would help UNI get some bonus points in the RPI (especially if they can get some wins this weekend), and in that aspect, this Creighton win is a good thing.

Watching the match, both teams looked good, but neither looked unstoppable. I think UNI has a good shot against both teams, should the Panthers play well.

The tournament continues tonight at 5 p.m. with Kentucky playing on the short turnaround, taking on a USC team that is missing some key players this trip due to injury.
        Then following that match (7:30 or later if the UK/USC match goes long), UNI will open their home season taking on Creighton.

Comment

That is not the outcome I was expecting that match, but I'm okay with it. Can't wait for both USC vs UK and UNI vs CU. This'll be the first time I've been to a OoC volleyball tournament, so I'm pretty excited.

Comment

Tell ya what, only one game through UK-USC, I'm not too impressed with either, especially USC.

Comment

Wow, I had no idea how good Holterhaus is, especially as a true Freshman.

Comment

Cats take game one against Creighton, 25-19. Close game until it wasn't.

Kentucky beat USC 3-1, btw.

Comment

It was close but UNI dropped set 2 25-22.

Comment

Panthers led early but gave up a few big runs, losing set 3 25-22. Very very frustrating set.

Comment

We're going 5, Panthers control set 4, 25-18.

Comment

Panthers drop the set and the match, 15-11. UNI got off to a slow start that couldn't be overcome, losing points in some of the most infuriating ways. Panthers come back tomorrow morning against USC at 10:30 am.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                          Tell ya what, only one game through UK-USC, I'm not too impressed with either, especially USC.
                          USC is without at least two of their regular players who are out with injury and didn't travel. Their setter is playing with a hand injury, and one of their other hitters isn't 100%

Comment

UNI played Panther volleyball at times tonight, but at other times they just fell apart. Too many unforced errors (service errors and open attacks missing wide/long), and at times at the end they just looked lost on defense, which is not what we're used to seeing. Passing was an issue too, as Koop had to run all over the court at times (when she was even able to set at all).

I don't think there is any shame in losing to Creighton in 5, as I'm fairly sure they'll beat USC tomorrow night to make it 3-0 on the weekend.

Hopefully UNI can bounce back and knock off the Women of Troy as well, though I'm sure tonight's match took alot out of them.

Comment

I don't like their chances of taking down a rested Kentucky, a loss to USC could take what appeared to be a promising weekend into an 0-3 home stand.

Comment

Working...
                              X