WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball hosts three top 25 teams in the McLeod this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panthers lose to Iowa State and I'm incredibly glad I went to It chapter 2 instead of the game. Now instead of getting mad at sports I'm getting mad at bad movies.

Think it's safe to say that at-large is off the table.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
      hink it's safe to say that at-large is off the table.
      Not impossible. Will have to see how the RPI develops over the next couple weeks. But barring some upsets, I think we'd up a bubble team at best.
      Just gotta keep at it, improve, and take care of business in conference play (especially around Thanksgiving).

Comment

it is so odd to see a UNI volleyball team that struggles this much at digging and passing. For years they've been known for their ability to dig just about anything. But this season they are getting aced quite often, and even when they dig, Koop often has to run all over the place to track it down, which really limits the offensive options and makes for predictable attacks that the other team can easily handle (or stuff).

Comment

Being someone who doesn't know much about volleyball, the main thing I've noticed is that this years team needs way too much effort. Which is to say, it feels like they're constantly having to make difficult plays on stuff that should be fairly routine. Stuff that looked methodological for squads of the past looks tricky for this years team.

Also why can't I see the box score of the USC/UK/CU games, I'd really like to know the attendance for those.

Comment

Being someone who doesn't know much about volleyball, the main thing I've noticed is that this years team needs way too much effort. Which is to say, it feels like they're constantly having to make difficult plays on stuff that should be fairly routine. Stuff that looked methodological for squads of the past looks tricky for this years team.
            I don't know much about the technical aspects of volleyball, but I would say that all that starts with passing (i.e. digging the other team's attack or serve and getting it to the setter). Do a good job of that and things will go much smoother and open up many more offensive options.

Struggle with that and things get much more difficult and require much more scrambling and effort.

A good blocking scheme can help slow down the opponent's attack, or at least funnel them more so that the backrow defenders don't have to cover as much ground, but that can be tough to do if the other team has more height and/or athleticism.

Basically, I just don't think this year's team (with all the freshmen on the court) quite have the tools to compete with top 25 teams. But I think they'll do just fine once we get into conference play, and hopefully that will help them regain their confidence and the young players can develop some more and maybe get some more cohesiveness in the team dynamic.

Also why can't I see the box score of the USC/UK/CU games, I'd really like to know the attendance for those.
            from what I gather, the NCAA mandated that all schools use a new stats program for volleyball, and the transition has been quite problematic for many (if not most) schools, including UNI. At this point, getting any sorts of correct stats reports on the website would probably involve hand-compiling data for box scores from every match, and I don't know if the UNI sports info department will commit that amount of resources to the volleyball program (or maybe it will just take a while)

Comment

The box score on Creighton's website for the CU/UNI match lists attendance at 2664, which seems fairly accurate.

The box score on USC's website for the USC/UNI match lists attendance at 161, and while I didn't take the time to try and count the attendance myself at that match, I'm quite sure there was more than that there, even for a 10:30 a.m. match.

The box score on Kentucky's website for the UK/UNI match lists attendance at 1146. Seems kind of low to me, but then there wasn't THAT much of a crowd that night, and not many students at all.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                The box score on Kentucky's website for the UK/UNI match lists attendance at 1146. Seems kind of low to me, but then there wasn't THAT much of a crowd that night, and not many students at all.
                I know when I entered for that event the ticket takers were having issues with their scanners. They just tore off the barcode portion of my ticket. Wander if there was an accurate count.

I agree though that the student numbers were horrible. It is the same for women's basketball too.

Comment

Swept by Boise State. That's painful. I've already marked off the the Marquette game as a loss, so at absolute best, gonna enter league play at 6-8. At worse, could be 3-11. Whether it's one of those two numbers or somewhere in between, that's just rough.

Comment

Mo State knocked off K-State (K-State isn't THAT good, but still. better than Boise State). Illinois State knocked off #14 Illinois.
                    If UNI continues to play the way they did today, they might end up 3rd in conference (or worse).

Comment

At this point I'm just worried about the seasons above .500 streak. And I never expected it to be this team to make me worry about that

Comment

At this point I'm just worried about the seasons above .500 streak. And I never expected it to be this team to make me worry about that
                        I don't think that is a worry quite yet. Once Bobbi gets a chance to get the team back in the practice gym (not really possible with the way the schedule has been the past couple weeks), I'm sure she'll get at least some of the problems fixed. Obviously no match for top tier talent, and a couple of the other MVC teams may pose a challenge, but the middle and bottom of the league is even less impressive than it has been previously, the team should be able to pull at least .500 overall.

Comment

Working...
                        X