WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women's Basketball: 2019-2020 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Roku was having issues and I missed the T. I saw the Twitter clip from Chris Kinehans-Schultz showing a Drake player attempting to draw a charge on Maahs that resulted in the injury. I'm guessing coach Warren wanted a blocking foul called, though it appeared to me from the camera angle that the Drake player was in position.

I feel so bad for Maahs. One ACL injury is bad enough; I thought she was only just now getting her normal agility back. Moving forward, it seems Cavey is ready for more minutes, and while she's listed as a guard I think a lineup of her and Gunnels at forward along with 3 guards would be pretty strong.

I'll give credit to Drake for a very strong all-around game. I watch them when I can, and last night they looked as good as they've been for the last 4-5 years, despite losing several seniors from last seasons playing rotation. They sure look like they're ready to get after the Bears next week. I imagine they'd love to have the Iowa game back, I have no idea how they lost that.
    Last edited by in_the_stands; 01-04-2020, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
      My Roku was having issues and I missed the T. I saw the Twitter clip from Chris Kinehans-Schultz showing a Drake player attempting to draw a charge on Maahs that resulted in the injury. I'm guessing coach Warren wanted a blocking foul called, though it appeared to me from the camera angle that the Drake player was in position.

I feel so bad for Maahs. One ACL injury is bad enough; I thought she was only just now getting her normal agility back. Moving forward, it seems Cavey is ready for more minutes, and while she's listed as a guard I think a lineup of her and Gunnels at forward along with 3 guards would be pretty strong.

I'll give credit to Drake for a very strong all-around game. I watch them when I can, and last night they looked as good as they've been for the last 4-5 years, despite losing several seniors from last seasons playing rotation. They sure look like they're ready to get after the Bears next week. I imagine they'd love to have the Iowa game back, I have no idea how they lost that.
      I attended the game. Drake has become very physical this year. Got away with a lot of uncalled contact. Coach had every right to be very upset and get the T. UNI looked rusty too, no games for 12 days...

Comment

To me, that's been Drake for the last several years - if they have a choice between going around you or through you, they'd rather go through you. The way the game is being officiated these days, the more physical teams are being favored IMHO. I don't understand why things have been allowed to drift in that direction.

Drake seemed *really* motivated - I was wondering if maybe the UNI team bus ran over the Drake mascot or something. Considering their winning streak over us, it couldn't be any kind of revenge thing, but they were fired up, playing very aggressive defense and it plainly bothered us. Then their shooters got hot and that was it.

I have to say I enjoyed watching the Drake-Missouri NCAA game last spring, because that's how coach Pingleton has Missouri play also. Drake was a whisker away from winning that one, and maybe the physical beating they gave Missouri helped Iowa to a relatively easy win in the next game. Going back several years, I watched Illinois State under Pingleton play Drake under Lisa Stone (I think) for the MVC tournament championship in St Charles. ISU literally beat the crap out of Drake, and I was amazed the officials permitted it. Perhaps that might be a part of why Jenny B was later hired at Drake, to build a program that would match opponents in physicality. Again, the way the game is called today encourages that IMHO.

While I did think the Drake player had established position on Maahs judging from the TV viewing angle, it could be from coach Warren's angle she saw the Drake player move sideways into Maah's path (to be fair, drawing charges has been part of MBB & WBB for a long time). Obviously Warren doesn't get very many T's, so she must have seen something. The TV did show JB & TW's post-game conversation, and while it seemed they had a lot to talk about, it ended in hugs.

Sort of sadly ironic that Maahs and MBB's Haldeman are both Western Dubuque HS grads

Comment

ISU literally beat the crap out of Drake
          ewwww, gross. did they have to stop the game for a bit to clean up after that?

Comment

Rough road schedule coming up for Panthers with going to Southern Illinois and Missouri State next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

ewwww, gross. did they have to stop the game for a bit to clean up after that?
              Well, they really should have stopped the game to clean it up IMHO, though not in the sense you mean. I might have been a bit too literal

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                Rough road schedule coming up for Panthers with going to Southern Illinois and Missouri State next weekend.
                For sure. That is a wicked way to start the conference schedule, this season in particular.

Comment

Any 'official' word on Maahs injury?? She was up and moving around after the game, but with a noticeable limp. Praying for something relatively minor...

Comment

I've not seen anything official yet. I'll be thrilled if it should turn out I jumped the gun. But when Gerrits tore hers a couple of seasons ago it just looked like normal contact; same when Iowa played us a couple of years ago, Tania Davis and one of the Panthers bumped knees, Davis was out the rest of the season while our player was fine. In the GameTime League several years ago (when we were still playing there) , another Iowa player tore hers just running down the court. She popped right back up and limped into the locker room, but it turned out to be torn. So although there is still hope, I don't think it looks promising at this point.

Comment

Coach Warren's comments on the Drake game as of mid-day Monday Jan. 6th.

Relevant Maahs stuff - has had an MRI, staff expects to know results late Monday or Tuesday. Maahs was called for the offensive foul, but coach Warren considers it "an unnecessary basketball play", that every coach in the league would agree with her, and believes Jenny B would be equally upset were the situation reversed, particularly if the injured player was Hittner or Rhine.

Comment

Maahs was called for the offensive foul, but coach Warren considers it "an unnecessary basketball play", that every coach in the league would agree with her, and believes Jenny B would be equally upset were the situation reversed, particularly if the injured player was Hittner or Rhine.
                        could someone inform my not-all-that-familar-with-basketball self about what differentiates that "unnecessary basketball play" with any other time that a defender establishes a position and takes a charge?

Or is she saying that all such plays involving defenders stepping in and taking a charge to be "unnecessary basketball plays"?

Comment

I don't know. Perhaps, like in baseball where if you're up 10 runs in the late innings and steal a base, it's considered to be showing up the other team and so bad form. Maybe there is an unwritten rule in WBB about attempting to draw charges when you're up big. Certainly knee injuries are especially problematic in WBB, hence the unwritten rule(?)

Comment

I don't know. Perhaps, like in baseball where if you're up 10 runs in the late innings and steal a base, it's considered to be showing up the other team and so bad form. Maybe there is an unwritten rule in WBB about attempting to draw charges when you're up big. Certainly knee injuries are especially problematic in WBB, hence the unwritten rule(?)
                            Good point, I wasn't taking into account the game state at that point. I had misinterpreted the quote and her saying that the play itself was unnecessary, when she should have meant that it was unnecessary in that situation (if Drake was up big already and it was late in the game). Then again, think of all the basketball games that have intentional fouling in the last few minutes even when there is no real shot at making up the deficit.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                              Good point, I wasn't taking into account the game state at that point. I had misinterpreted the quote and her saying that the play itself was unnecessary, when she should have meant that it was unnecessary in that situation (if Drake was up big already and it was late in the game). Then again, think of all the basketball games that have intentional fouling in the last few minutes even when there is no real shot at making up the deficit.
                              Coach Warren was upset because that play being up 20 points was unnecessary and often leads to injuries which it did. She talked about how hard Maahs had worked to recover from last year's injury and just getting back to normal. Warren was also upset that Maahs would have to endure another long injury recovery period.

Comment

so should the NCAA adopt a rule change where if a team is leading by a certain amount, they cease to call charges and any contact would result in a defensive foul?

Comment

Working...
                                X