WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 MVC volleyball awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 MVC volleyball awards

the UNI volleyball team won the outright regular season MVC championship, going 17-1 in league play this year.

Senior outside hitter Karlie Taylor was named conference Player of the Year.

Senior setter Rachel Koop was named conference Setter of the Year.

and Bobbi Petersen picked up her sixth MVC Coach of the Year honor after guiding the Panthers to the program’s 19th conference crown and ninth title under her coaching tenure. Petersen became UNI’s all-time leader in wins and enters the tournament with 508 career wins. She is two victories away from becoming The Valley’s all-time wins leader. Her six awards trail only UNI’s Iradge Ahrabi-Fard who won the award seven times (1985, 1987, 1994, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000).

Koop and Taylor, along with junior middle hitter Kate Busswitz and true freshmen middle hitter Kaylissa Arndorfer were named to the 1st team All-Conference squad.

Arndorfer and fellow true freshman middle hitter Emily Holterhaus made the All-Freshman team.

(sidenote: I'm just giving the positions they are listed on the roster as. While they're listed as "middle hitter", a number of them also played as outside hitters as well.)

Koop and senior libero Abbi Staack were named to the Scholar-Athlete First Team, with sophomore middle blocker Inga Rotto making the Scholar-Athlete Honorable Mention team (with a 3.98 GPA in Math and Economics)

UNI is also hosting the MVC tournament this week. #1 seed UNI and #2 seed Loyola earned byes into the semifinals tomorrow.

Tonight's action features a 5 p.m. match between #4 seed Bradley and #5 seed Valparaiso (with the winner taking on UNI tomorrow at 5 p.m.)

Then at 7:30 p.m. (or half an hour after the conclusion of the first match, should it run long), #3 seed Illinois State takes on #6 seed Evansville to determine Loyola's opponent for tomorrow night.

Then the winners of Friday's matches will meet in the Championship match Saturday at 4 p.m.
    Tickets are $10 a day (or $20 for an all-session package, though I don't know if those are available at the door or not)

Comment

While it's definitely cool, I do wonder if Bobbi Peterson should be able to get Coach of the Year Awards considering all the talent that Northern Iowa always has. 17-1 is not exactly the expectations for UNI, but not exactly far away from expectations. While I admittedly have not watched many other Valley teams, I got to imagine that there's at least one coach who did a lot more with a lot less.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
        While it's definitely cool, I do wonder if Bobbi Peterson should be able to get Coach of the Year Awards considering all the talent that Northern Iowa always has. 17-1 is not exactly the expectations for UNI, but not exactly far away from expectations. While I admittedly have not watched many other Valley teams, I got to imagine that there's at least one coach who did a lot more with a lot less.
        hey, if the NDSU coach can get MVFC CoY awards just for maintaining the status quo, I don't see why Bobbi shouldn't get MVC CoY awards.
        Besides, perhaps they are honoring her becoming the coach with the most MVC wins (and possibly the winningest MVC coach overall if UNI wins Friday and Saturday)

Comment

Good point. She's doing this with players from huge talent hot beds like Janesville, Dike and Pella.

This is a bad, bad take.
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Good point. She's doing this with players from huge talent hot beds like Janesville, Dike and Pella.

This is a bad, bad take.
            small town Iowa has lots of volleyball talent.

Besides UNI's success with those players, just look at Mikaela Foecke who came from West Point, Iowa (town of about 1000 people in southeastern Iowa) that was the NCAA tournament MVP with Nebraska a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

This is a bad, bad take.
              Really? You really think that UNI doesn't have the best players in the Valley? In the same post that says that UNI has 4 players on the first team out of 13 spots? 30% of the MVC first team is UNI players, including the PotY. There's players on the team.

Comment

This is too silly to respond to but here goes anyway. There is exactly one reason that UNI has the best talent. Can you guess the reason? It starts with a B. Cmon you can get it, try adding another b or two.
                "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Really? You really think that UNI doesn't have the best players in the Valley? In the same post that says that UNI has 4 players on the first team out of 13 spots? 30% of the MVC first team is UNI players, including the PotY. There's players on the team.
                  We do and it's all developmental. Bobbi makes these insanely underrecruited athletes into all time greats.

This is a really odd hill to die on.
                  #MACtion

Comment

UNI likely does pretty well in recruiting battles for raw talent against the other MVC schools, but perhaps not so much against the national powerhouse programs (nebraska, kentucky, minnesota, iowa state, creighton has moved up into that tier at least right now). But UNI is able to compete with those programs on the court many years due to Bobbi's (and her staff's) coaching and development of players.

Comment

Working...
                    X