WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball - Fall 2021 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNI and Ball State each have one set going into the third.

CKS is doing this game on 1540.

Comment

Where did Emily go in this match. Wow disappointing loss. Lost the lead in the last two sets

Comment

Yeah that is...not great.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
          Where did Emily go in this match. Wow disappointing loss. Lost the lead in the last two sets
          with 9 attack errors and only 5 kills, she was just struggling too much in the match so the coaches had to try something else.

But to me, the more concerning issue was numerous spots where the team struggled mightily on serve receive. Getting stuck in rotations where they were either giving up aces or getting terrible passes off the serve that the setters really couldn't do anything with to get a proper offensive attack; having to resort to free balls or very predictable attacks that BSU could shut down with their block.

That is what lead to the Cardinals getting long runs and being able to not only come from behind, but put those sets away.

Comment

3-1 win over Green Bay. Fourth set was 27-25. Total points were 66-61. Close, but a good ride home ahead.

Comment

All Ws are good Ws.
              #MACtion

Comment

In the first set, had a 24-22 lead on the Trojans and then they go on a 4-0 run.

We had the lead almost the whole way. Broke a 16 all tie to go ahead 20-16.

Second & third sets got progressively worse.
                Last edited by '70 Grad; 09-03-2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

We just haven't been able to finish sets for the last few years. It's frustrating.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                    Had a 24-22 lead on the Trojans and then they go on a 4-0 run.

We had the lead almost the whole way. Broke a 16 all tie to go ahead 20-16.
                    My theory is that the struggles on serve receive (especially in certain rotations) is often the culprit.
                    We get stuck in a bad rotation where the other team has a strong server (or sometimes a strong block in front row), and either give up aces or have poor enough passes on the serve that we can't get a decent attack out of it (or the setter only really has one option, making it predictable and easily blocked), and we just can't get out of it, leading to the opponent stringing together a long run.

That's not ALWAYS the case, but is definitely a weakness we've had the past few seasons.

Honestly, I fully expected going into this weekend that we go 0-3. That's been the case for us more often than not with this tournament even when we've had a relatively strong team (and this season isn't exactly our strongest season). The good start in the first set was a pleasant surprise, but once USC woke up (considering the match started at 7:30 a.m. california time) and started clicking, and they learned our weakness at serve receive (especially with the jump spin serve, which UNI can't even practice against as I don't think there are even any male practice players or coaches that can do that sort of serve very well), they were able to complete the easy sweep.

Gonna have to just take our lumps, use it as a learning experience as much as possible, and hope we can get things figured out by conference time. The reality is that we were never going to have a shot at an at-large bid to the NCAAs this year, so non-conference record isn't really going to matter.

Comment

Don’t expect us to win the matches but I would like to see us takes some sets. This match was one I thought we could. Should have won the first set. Second set we had a three point lead early but could not handle the serve. After we feel down by six we just could not recover. Too many errors and missed opportunities. Just need to keep working at making improvements and find the right group to have out there at key times Going to be a tough one tonight

Comment

Tonight's not gonna be pretty. Won't be able to watch, but I would love to come back to a giant plate of crow.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                          Tonight's not gonna be pretty. Won't be able to watch, but I would love to come back to a giant plate of crow.
                          I haven't watched Iowa State yet this year, but looking at their schedule, I don't think they TOTALLY outmatch us or anything.
                          They were swept by Iowa (Iowa's only win of the season so far). Drake and Ball State each took a set off them.

I wouldn't put money on a UNI win, but I think there is a possibility of one; and I don't think it will be as ugly as the matches in Kentucky were (unless we totally struggle on serve receive again)

Comment

Great start first set but once again bad finish

Comment

Iowa swept ISU. How far we have fallen. Worst of the Iowa Big 4. Never thought I would see this

Comment

Considering this match usually draws 6000 and there's maybe 2000 there tonight, the department continues to do just a bang up job on promotion.

#MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X