WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball - Fall 2021 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sevelev711
    replied
    These have definitely been the darkest days of the program in quite some time. I have confidence in Bobbi, but boy I hope she gets it going soon.

Leave a comment:

• vbfan19
    replied
    four years ago today (Sept. 16, 2017), UNI volleyball beat #10 Nebraska at a tournament in Omaha, after having beaten #19 Iowa State a few days before. (facebook just reminded me of that).
    Hopefully the program can bounce back after the current rough patch of the spring season and how this season is going, and can get back to pulling off those kind of upsets.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
    It only drew 6000 in the past because they sold tickets for $1. I don't believe they discounted tickets this time (and I think I saw that regular ticket price this season is now something like $9).
    Official attendance was 4123 (a good chunk of that is students, since this is the one VB match that they push the students to attend), but I'd bet that they probably made more money with the smaller crowd this year paying full price than they have in the past seasons with the $1 tickets.
    Maybe if they'd promote anything. At all. Ever. For any sport.

I don't think it was ticket price, I think it was total lack of awareness that it was going on.

Leave a comment:

• vbfan19
    replied
    Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    Considering this match usually draws 6000 and there's maybe 2000 there tonight, the department continues to do just a bang up job on promotion.
    It only drew 6000 in the past because they sold tickets for $1. I don't believe they discounted tickets this time (and I think I saw that regular ticket price this season is now something like $9).
    Official attendance was 4123 (a good chunk of that is students, since this is the one VB match that they push the students to attend), but I'd bet that they probably made more money with the smaller crowd this year paying full price than they have in the past seasons with the $1 tickets.

Leave a comment:

• vbfan19
    replied
    Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
    Tonight's not gonna be pretty.
    okay, you were right.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Considering this match usually draws 6000 and there's maybe 2000 there tonight, the department continues to do just a bang up job on promotion.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleCatFan
    replied
    Iowa swept ISU. How far we have fallen. Worst of the Iowa Big 4. Never thought I would see this

Leave a comment:

• PurpleCatFan
    replied
    Great start first set but once again bad finish

Leave a comment:

• vbfan19
    replied
    Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
    Tonight's not gonna be pretty. Won't be able to watch, but I would love to come back to a giant plate of crow.
    I haven't watched Iowa State yet this year, but looking at their schedule, I don't think they TOTALLY outmatch us or anything.
    They were swept by Iowa (Iowa's only win of the season so far). Drake and Ball State each took a set off them.

I wouldn't put money on a UNI win, but I think there is a possibility of one; and I don't think it will be as ugly as the matches in Kentucky were (unless we totally struggle on serve receive again)

Leave a comment:

• sevelev711
    replied
    Tonight's not gonna be pretty. Won't be able to watch, but I would love to come back to a giant plate of crow.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleCatFan
    replied
    Don’t expect us to win the matches but I would like to see us takes some sets. This match was one I thought we could. Should have won the first set. Second set we had a three point lead early but could not handle the serve. After we feel down by six we just could not recover. Too many errors and missed opportunities. Just need to keep working at making improvements and find the right group to have out there at key times Going to be a tough one tonight

Leave a comment:

• vbfan19
    replied
    Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
    Had a 24-22 lead on the Trojans and then they go on a 4-0 run.

We had the lead almost the whole way. Broke a 16 all tie to go ahead 20-16.
    My theory is that the struggles on serve receive (especially in certain rotations) is often the culprit.
    We get stuck in a bad rotation where the other team has a strong server (or sometimes a strong block in front row), and either give up aces or have poor enough passes on the serve that we can't get a decent attack out of it (or the setter only really has one option, making it predictable and easily blocked), and we just can't get out of it, leading to the opponent stringing together a long run.

That's not ALWAYS the case, but is definitely a weakness we've had the past few seasons.

Honestly, I fully expected going into this weekend that we go 0-3. That's been the case for us more often than not with this tournament even when we've had a relatively strong team (and this season isn't exactly our strongest season). The good start in the first set was a pleasant surprise, but once USC woke up (considering the match started at 7:30 a.m. california time) and started clicking, and they learned our weakness at serve receive (especially with the jump spin serve, which UNI can't even practice against as I don't think there are even any male practice players or coaches that can do that sort of serve very well), they were able to complete the easy sweep.

Gonna have to just take our lumps, use it as a learning experience as much as possible, and hope we can get things figured out by conference time. The reality is that we were never going to have a shot at an at-large bid to the NCAAs this year, so non-conference record isn't really going to matter.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    We just haven't been able to finish sets for the last few years. It's frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• '70 Grad
    replied
    In the first set, had a 24-22 lead on the Trojans and then they go on a 4-0 run.

We had the lead almost the whole way. Broke a 16 all tie to go ahead 20-16.

Second & third sets got progressively worse.
    Last edited by '70 Grad; 09-03-2021, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    All Ws are good Ws.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X