WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women's Basketball 2021-2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post

Related to the MBB discussion, looks like new gray uniforms for the ladies that say "Northern Iowa" rather than "UNI".
    I looked today and yeah the grey uniforms just say northern iowa. I did notice their purple warm up jackets say UNI on the back of them though.

Comment

Bre had a great game today. 4 blocks. Ladies came back to win today after shooting poorly in the first half. Pretty sure Kam lead the team with 13 points today.

Comment

The SDSU game was nice, agreed that Gunnels was great, and it's always nice to see Rucker go off. The Graceland game was interesting in that it allowed some Panthers to get minutes who we don't often see. Barney hitting two 3's was fun.

I saw some highlights of Iowa-ISU, and my impression was that Iowa was lucky to keep it that close. Our game in Ames will be tough, they have 4 really good guards, plus a bigger center than they've had the last several years.

Comment

Any more analysis of the matchups for Sunday? I expect to go to the game with UNIdaughter!

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
            Any more analysis of the matchups for Sunday? I expect to go to the game with UNIdaughter!
            Three things stand out to me - 1) a lot of tall guards for ISU in the 5'11" - 6'0" range who are also fast and quick. We have great guards, but aside from Green, we're not that tall. 2) they have a featured offensive player in Ashley Joens #24, a 6'1" combo guard/forward who they go to a lot and consistently scores 20+ points per game. While Rucker has had some big scoring games for us, she's also had a lot of games without much scoring. Same can be said for Finley. 3) ISU can now play 3 centers in the 6'3"-6'4" range. They had been a bit small and soft in the middle the last few seasons; it looks like that's been addressed. I like Wolf for us, she's improved and gotten stronger ever year, but we don't have 3 of her. We do have another 6'3" in McKee, but she hasn't played much.

In our defense, we are very experienced, and we've found ourselves in situations on the road where our shots weren't falling and we've had to keep ourselves in games with defense and hustle.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post

Three things stand out to me - 1) a lot of tall guards for ISU in the 5'11" - 6'0" range who are also fast and quick. We have great guards, but aside from Green, we're not that tall. 2) they have a featured offensive player in Ashley Joens #24, a 6'1" combo guard/forward who they go to a lot and consistently scores 20+ points per game. While Rucker has had some big scoring games for us, she's also had a lot of games without much scoring. Same can be said for Finley. 3) ISU can now play 3 centers in the 6'3"-6'4" range. They had been a bit small and soft in the middle the last few seasons; it looks like that's been addressed. I like Wolf for us, she's improved and gotten stronger ever year, but we don't have 3 of her. We do have another 6'3" in McKee, but she hasn't played much.

In our defense, we are very experienced, and we've found ourselves in situations on the road where our shots weren't falling and we've had to keep ourselves in games with defense and hustle.

I've been to a few ISU games this year. Here are a few thoughts.

Ashley Joens plays tough. She hits the floor more than anyone else, whether it is diving for loose balls, trying to take a charge, or just straining to get open. Yet, she can step back and shoot 3's with touch. She also has an incredible knack for court sense. For instance, she often gets double-teamed when she gets the ball in the paint, pivots, pivots back, and steps through the double-team for a layup. Needless to say, I'm very impressed by her.

The guards sometimes seem interchangeable, but they do have unique roles. Emily Ryan handles the ball and starts the offense. Aubrey Joens is getting double digit rebounds. All of them shoot 3's exactly the same. Set feet, square with basket, quick release (Stephen Currie-ish).

Morgan Kane is the only big that has done much. She has really improved her ball-handling around the basket, so that she can score off a feed or rebound. The others are big, but still improving on defense, rebounding, and posting up.

Comment

We will put together tough defense. I agree Wolf has improved. Grace is improving and can be tough at times. We played zone in the Graceland game alot but I think that is more for prepping for Hawaii trip. Sure it will be more man defense vs iowa state though.

Comment

Absolutely gut-wrenching.

Comment

What was the deal with Cynthia Wolf? They didn't say why she didn't play on the ESPN+ broadcast.

Comment

This team is a whole bunch of fun. Two more great chances in Hawaii next week.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Gotta be proud of the effort. When the shots wouldn't go in the 2nd quarter, we just dug in and fought to get back in it. Bummer not to have Wolf, but I'm OK with Boffeli and McCullough getting more minutes, that'll probably pay off in the MVC season.

The price of keeping Joens under control was letting Kane and Donarski loose, unfortunately. Almost worked! I think ISU has a chance to finish as high as 3rd in the Big XII.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          This team is a whole bunch of fun. Two more great chances in Hawaii next week.
                          I know one of the teams next week has 2 ladies that are 6'9". It will be tough in the middle for us.

Comment

Kam Finley was super impressive. Early in the game, she seemed unstoppable when she drove to the basket. During the second half, she was great from outside. All while playing defense on Ashley Joens and keeping her off-balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bookin' Panther View Post
                              What was the deal with Cynthia Wolf? They didn't say why she didn't play on the ESPN+ broadcast.
                              She didn’t make the trip…don’t know why…

Comment

What is the deal with Cynthia Wolf?

See she didn't play tonight either. Anyone know if she is hurt?

Comment

Working...
                                X