WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women's Basketball 2021-2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois State, as the MVC AQ gets the #15 seed in the NCAA tourney and will play Iowa
    Missouri State got an at-large #11 seed and will face Florida State in one of the "First Four" games (this is the first year that WBB has a 68-team bracket)

SIU gets the MVC's AQ spot in the WNIT, but UNI and Drake have also gotten at-large spots into the WNIT
    (actual WNIT bracket won't be announced until tomorrow)

Comment

• With Illinois State getting Iowa, makes me wonder if we won would we have gotten Iowa also. However, I don't know what Redbirds RPI is.
      Last edited by panthergirl123; 03-13-2022, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
        With Illinois State getting Iowa, makes me wonder if we won would we have gotten Iowa also.
        if the WBB bracket was set up like the VB bracket (only the top 16 are seeded, with heavy regionalization for everyone else to maximize the number of bus trips instead of flights), I'd say that would have been a strong possibility.
        Since they supposedly seed the entire field for WBB, I don't know (and I also don't know how UNI and ISU compared as far as RPI or NET or whatever they claim to use these days). Either way, I'm certain that they fudge the numbers to some extent to get regional (bus trip) matchups and or other matchups that the powers-that-be prefer

Comment

• I thought also in the men's tourney, they try to avoid pairings where teams have played each other in the regular season - at least for a round or two. (Also, obviously, no same conference matchups.) That may have kept us from being slotted vs Iowa, if the metrics didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
            I thought also in the men's tourney, they try to avoid pairings where teams have played each other in the regular season - at least for a round or two. (Also, obviously, no same conference matchups.) That may have kept us from being slotted vs Iowa, if the metrics didn't.
            Not 100% sure. I don't follow RPI. A couple I looked up had Redbirds at 124 to 126. Ours after today's game in the 70s.

Comment

• UNI WBB play UMKC at 6 pm Thursday in the McLeod!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
                UNI WBB play UMKC at 6 pm Thursday in the McLeod!!
                Got my tickets in my season ticket holder spot this morning.

Comment

• Took care of business in the opening round, crusing to a 20 or so point win against UMBC.

Comment

• Drake in round 2.

Comment

Drake in round 2.
                      according to the WNIT tournament central page, the game is scheduled for
                      "Monday, March 21, 2022. 7 p.m. ET Des Moines, IA"
                      So that would make it 6 pm Central at Drake on Monday night.

Comment

• Gotta love NCAA logic. UNI hosts round 1 and Drake on the road round 1, both win, so let's play the next one in Des Moines?

Comment

• I imagine Drake loves that, as their record against us is similar to our record against Evansville. I was hoping the WNIT would switch it up and send us to Minnesota or even S Dakota St. Look for Bair and Miller to have big games inside again. Our guards are going to have to be red-hot for 40 minutes

When Drake brings their A game, they're as good as anyone in the MVC. Such a weird season for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post
                            Gotta love NCAA logic. UNI hosts round 1 and Drake on the road round 1, both win, so let's play the next one in Des Moines?
                            I don't think the NCAA gets involved with WNIT scheduling.

From Wikipedia:
                            Unlike the NIT, the women's tournament is not run by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), but is an independent national championship. Triple Crown Sports, a company based in Fort Collins, Colorado that specializes in the promotion of amateur sporting events, created the WNIT in 1994 as a preseason counterpart to the then-current National Women's Invitational Tournament (NWIT). After the NWIT folded in 1996, Triple Crown Sports resurrected the postseason version in 1998 under the NWIT name, but changed the following season to the current name.

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                              according to the WNIT tournament central page, the game is scheduled for
                              "Monday, March 21, 2022. 7 p.m. ET Des Moines, IA"
                              So that would make it 6 pm Central at Drake on Monday night.
                              I can't go to Des Moines Monday as I get off work at 5pm on Monday and live too far away from Des Moines to make it at game time. What are streaming/watching options? I couldn't find it when looking online.
                              Last edited by panthergirl123; 03-18-2022, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I can't go to Des Moines Monday as I get off work at 5pm on Monday and live too far away from Des Moines to make it at game time. What are streaming/watching options? I couldn't find it when looking online.
                                It's listed on ESPN 3.
                                "They keep saying that what really matters is not whether you win or lose, but how you played the game. The trouble is that the best way to determine how you played the game is by whether you won or lost." - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X