WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is it that Drake can practically block everyone of our shots. Drake the better team tonight and they are going to be tough in the tournament

Comment

• Always sucks to lose to Drake. Always.

Comment

• Get the loss out of the way now, regroup, get ready for tournament games.

Comment

• MVC honors:
          Bobbi is Coach of the Year
          Sydney is Libero of the Year
          Tayler is Setter of the Year

Inga and Carly join Tayler and Sydney on the All-Conference 1st team

(Drake claimed the other honors, with Haley Bush getting Player of the Year and setter Addison Beagle named Freshman of the Year)

Comment

• Nice group of honors! I was wondering who was playing setter better than Alden in the MVC, turns out nobody. I think getting better passes with the arrival of Sidney and Baylee's return from injury was a factor in her improvement, but OTOH there have been times she's had to move pretty far to take a pass and still delivered a great set.

Two first team middles is pretty amazing also. Rotto's been a monster, but Spies obviously played well again this season. The announcers for Drake were saying that Spies has been playing with an injury, I wasn't aware of that.

And while not receiving honors, Holterhaus and Fallert both played very well.

So an amazing conference season, better than I was hoping for. But have to say I'm not comfortable with a likely SIU rematch, not to mention meeting Drake again. I'm getting a vibe like the one with softball last spring, hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• Panthers will take on the host team, # 5 Evansville tomorrow afternoon (3 pm CST) after the Purple Aces pulled off a 16-14 fifth set win over SIU just now.
              Despite the small venue, the Evansville crowd was loud and raucous today, with a number of other Aces sports teams (and other students) in attendance and active.
              I'm kind of jealous, as while UNI usually has good attendance numbers (in comparison to many VB programs outside the Big Ten at least), the crowds often seem rather subdued and not as energetic.

And despite UNI sitting at # 48 in the RPI currently (with a quality win over Iowa State on their resume), a loss to RPI # 236 Evansville might pop their bubble for at-large hopes. (a win followed by a loss to RPI # 68 Drake in the championship match wouldn't be quite as damaging, though they'd still have to hold their breath come Sunday)
              Last edited by vbfan19; 11-21-2022, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the update.

PSA: when you’re posting here at PN, don’t type #number.

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post
                  Thanks for the update.

PSA: when you’re posting here at PN, don’t type #number.
                  ah yes, I keep forgetting about that very annoying aspect of this forum.

Comment

• Aces over Salukis? Didn't see that coming! OTOH, also didn't see us finishing the regular season with an RPI of 48, especially after getting 1-3'd at Drake.

Also didn't notice that UIC ended up with the 3 seed. Maybe they can catch the Bulldogs looking ahead to the championship.
                    Last edited by in_the_stands; 11-22-2022, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Something I learned from the post game write-up (oh yeah we won today btw):

UNI (25-7 overall) now holds a 31-2 all-time record as the top seed in conference tournament play with a perfect 17-0 mark in semifinal outings.
                      That's kind of insane.

Comment

• Good chance we're in either way but let's win tomorrow just to be sure...
                        #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          Good chance we're in either way but let's win tomorrow just to be sure...
                          I don't know if I'd call it a GOOD chance. UNI's current RPI ranking after that win sits at Forum ideas
                          If they went with just RPI to determine at-large bids (which they don't always, but just hypothetically), the cut off would be about 46 or 47 if there weren't any more upset in the remaining conferences (Big West, MWC, Summit, Big East) besides Drake upsetting UNI, then that would put the Panthers on the wrong side of the bubble. And while UNI does have the win over Iowa State, it is their only top 50 win, and most others in bubble contention have at least a couple.

However, the 40ish-50ish teams in the rankings have a really tight grouping of RPI calculations, so there could possibly be a fair amount of movement. Drake has a decent winning percentage (26-6) and is currently sitting at 63 in RPI ranking, so a loss to them wouldn't be as big a hit as a loss to someone else.

But yes, it would be much better to just win tomorrow.

Comment

• For a match we won 3-0, Evansville was pretty intense. The Aces were on a mission but seemed to run low on energy at the beginning of set 3. A couple of their servers were hitting rockets, glad it wasn't me back there trying to return them.

Comment

• I watched the Drake semi and after the UNI match. That second set that went 32 to 30 was awesome volleyball. I agree the Aces energy level was low in the 3rd. Today's final will be tough.

Comment

• As always, serving and serve reception will be important.
                                Those 12 service errors that UNI had kept Evansville in the match. (though it's a tough line to walk, because if they don't serve aggressively, Drake has the hitters to punish you when they are in system). Hopefully some of our servers have been able to adapt to not being able to serve from 30 yards behind the endline...

Similarly, if UNI struggles to pass Drake's serves, making our offense predictable, then the Bulldog block will kill us like it did in the Knapp last week.

Comment

Working...
                                X