WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Gym news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iron panther View Post

It was my understanding David hasnt had much to do with any of the fundraising for the dome and even had it removed from the athletic department. Its also has been stated numerous times that all of the recent athletic projects have been done so with all the heavy lifting done by the coahes themselves. Instead of being a David apologist how about you state some facts about what david did specifically, not just the ususal blathering rhetoric.
    Maybe, but he's SURE held to blame when the funds AREN'T available, isn't he?

See what I'm sayin?

Comment

• Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post

NIU - Victor E. Court: 800 seats.
      UVU - Lockhart Arena: "Nearly 2,000" seats.
      Air Force - Clune Arena: 5,843 seats. I was wrong about this one, this is Air Force's main basketball arena. For some reason I remember AFA and UNI wrestling in a very small facility a few years ago, it might have even been their wrestling room. Side note, apparently it is difficult to report on attendance figures for all of their home duals. The only one they list in their recaps was the attendance against Wyoming, which was a whopping 327.

Other schools just for fun:
      Smaller:
      Wyoming - UniWyo Federal Credit Union Sports Complex: 1200 seats.
      Cal Baptist - Van Dyne Gym: 987 seats.

Stanford - Burnham Pavilion: 1,421 seats.
      Rider - Alumni Gymnasium: 1,650 seats.
      Bucknell - Davis Gym, 1,100 seats.
      Princeton - Dillon Gymnasium: 1,500 seats.
      George Mason - Recreation Athletic Complex: 1,550.
      Bloomsburg - Nelson Field House: Doesn't look like much more than an Iowa HS gym, can't find a number.
      Cornell - Friedman Wrestling Center: 900.
      Harvard - Doesn't sell tickets to home wrestling events? Malkin Athletic Center has 1,000 seats.
      Lock Haven - Thomas Fieldhouse: 1,497. - Biggest number I could find.
      Michigan - Cliff Keen Arena: 1,800.
      Maryland - XFinity Center Pavilion: 1,500.
      VMI - Cormack Hall: 750.
      ​​

3,000 or under:
      Rutgers - College Ave Gym: 2,500.
      Brown - Pizzitola Sports Center: 2,800.
      Columbia - Schiller Court at Levien Gymnasium: 2,700
      Drexel - Daskalakis Athletic Center: 2,509.
      American - Bender Arena: 2,900.
      Indiana - Wilkinson Hall: 3,000.
      Purdue - Holloway Gymnasium: 2,288.
      Gardner-Webb - Paul Porter Arena: 3,000.

This is all I have time for right now. That's 16 that are officially smaller than the West Gym, and eight that are comparable (in my opinion). I don't know what your definition of "many more" is, but that's 21% of wrestling facilities in the country.

And I'm not sure what your point is in red there.
      Don't know what my definition is of "many more" when only 21% are smaller or as small as the Sardine Can?

How a-bout 79% are larger then!? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post

Don't know what my definition is of "many more" when only 21% are smaller or as small as the Sardine Can?

How a-bout 79% are larger then!? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        To be fair to myself, that's all I looked up. It's not a comprehensive list of every arena in the country. So the 79% number you reference might not necessarily be correct.

Comment

Maybe, but he's SURE held to blame when the funds AREN'T available, isn't he?

See what I'm sayin?
          Harris was not doing his job in one of two areas (or both): either raising money for needed athletic department improvements or implementing a plan to make those improvements. Which is why the athletic department projects were added to the larger university fundraising projects.

Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post

They'll figure out what to do about a practice facility. I've been in this game long enough to not find that alarming at all. It'll all get ironed out.

Code violations are code violations and not the fault of the AD. If people want to keep the West Gym, then, good, find the cash for the renovation, which is a huge amount. It ain't coming from the State legislature, and if funds are tough to come by for the Dome, imagine how tough it'll be for a sport that doesn't draw a huge fan base.

I'm all ears; what solutions do any of you future or past AD's of a DI program have to offer? If nothing, then stay in your lanes and don't try to play DI AD on the internet or in the classroom.

If the code violations aren't the fault of the AD, then who on UNI's campus is responsible for that? Is it not the job of the athletic director to monitor building conditions, fan experience, program needs, etc. for the entire athletic department? You have an athletic program competing in a building on campus, and that building is deemed to not be safe anymore and require $20 million to get up to code? In the space of less than one calendar year?
          Last edited by DomeIsHome; 02-12-2023, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Harris is now responsible for building code laws, friends.

You heard it here. See why I'm saying, friends?

Comment

Harris is now responsible for building code laws, friends.

You're 100% right. No one is responsible! Everybody at UNI and in the UNI athletic department is doing a great job! Harris is running a tight ship, and a dedicated and solid group of people have been in the athletic department since he was hired. Positions haven't been cut and there are NO problems at UNI. Yay!!!!!

If you don't have an actual answer to the questions, why respond at all?

Comment

Harris is now responsible for building code laws, friends.

I don't know why I'm replying because you're just an ass that will twist it but

He absolutely 10000% is.

Not for writing them, but for making sure THE BUILDINGS UNDER HIS CONTROL ARE CONTINUALLY MAINTAINED TO, AT THE VERY LEAST, MEET CODES.

He's, apparently, the ****ing leader of the athletic department. He's the ****er that is in charge. Literally, every buck stops with his ass. Everything. Should he have people in place to run these things? Yes. Does he? He might have a body in place but they sure as **** aren't getting the job done. When that's the case whose responsibility is it to make sure that gets corrected and that person gets their **** done or gets replaced? Maybe **** like this happens when it takes 9 ****ing months to fill spots and when they get filled they are filled by kids directly out of college with no experience, but it was the cheapest option. Let's not forget the director of facilities that was hired last year was right out of college with 9 months of experience as an intern in the facilities department and was then named the ****ing director of facilities. West Gym is over 100 years old, maybe having someone in charge of it would be a good ****ing idea? Maybe all it would take was for someone to talk into it to go "Maybe we need to do something with this place as it hasn't been touched since the ****ing 80s.

West Gym's lack of updates isn't 100% on Harris as every other athletic director has ignored it as well, and they were also lampooned for it. However, they all did enough to at least keep it from being ****ing condemned, you ****ing buffoon.

He's the ****ing CEO of the athletic department. If any CEO of any respectable company produced similar results in their field their ass would have been gone long ago.

If Harris isn't actually responsible for anything that goes west of Hudson WHY THE **** DOES HE STILL HAVE A JOB? He's clearly not needed at that point. Hell, Schwab, Jake, Farley, Bobbi, Jacobs, etc. all do their own ****ing fundraising for the tiny updates they get - don't forget our soccer program is using a field on campus that the club teams fundraised for and then they ran a GoFundMe to have something resembling a locker-room.

He announced this 5-year vision, and here we are at the end of the 5 years and nothing inside that vision is done and what was left of the vision to be saved was ****ing taken away from him by the university capital campaign.

What the **** does he, or anyone in that department, actually do? In 4 years of holding the 5-year facilities plan in his hands there was $0 actually raised that anyone knows about. All known donations, which is still only one-half of phase one (and less than 15% of what is actually budgeted), have been raised. The vast majority of those funds are funds that the university didn't know about, meaning their mining efforts are bad. Marilyn Bohl is a UNI graduate that was a software dev for ****ing Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids and the became a senior-level executive at IBM and then wrote 9 college textbooks. How the **** is someone like that not on UNI's radar at all? Even beyond that, she had already donated to UNI in 2020 during the height of the COVID pandemic. How in the flying **** is that not a resource you continue to build relationships with and cultivate?

There's plenty of blame to drown every single member of the athletic department under Mt. Everest levels 10 times over, but the reality is David is the ****ing director. He is the one in charge. Everything goes back to his leadership.

Hell, at this point it's also worth pointing out that Nook probably needs to be looked at as Harris reports to Nook. I know Nook has been informed, MANY TIMES, about concerns and nothing has been done. I have genuine questions/concerns if those two even talk based on what I've seen/heard.

We also can point to the BoR for them looking at what is happening and going "**** it, everything is fine". None of us are shocked by that though as we all know they'd love to see us become nothing but a satellite of UI or completely shut down.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

I don't know why I'm replying because you're just an ass that will twist it but

He absolutely 10000% is.

Not for writing them, but for making sure THE BUILDINGS UNDER HIS CONTROL ARE CONTINUALLY MAINTAINED TO, AT THE VERY LEAST, MEET CODES.

He's, apparently, the ****ing leader of the athletic department. He's the ****er that is in charge. Literally, every buck stops with his ass. Everything. Should he have people in place to run these things? Yes. Does he? He might have a body in place but they sure as **** aren't getting the job done. When that's the case whose responsibility is it to make sure that gets corrected and that person gets their **** done or gets replaced? Maybe **** like this happens when it takes 9 ****ing months to fill spots and when they get filled they are filled by kids directly out of college with no experience, but it was the cheapest option. Let's not forget the director of facilities that was hired last year was right out of college with 9 months of experience as an intern in the facilities department and was then named the ****ing director of facilities. West Gym is over 100 years old, maybe having someone in charge of it would be a good ****ing idea? Maybe all it would take was for someone to talk into it to go "Maybe we need to do something with this place as it hasn't been touched since the ****ing 80s.

West Gym's lack of updates isn't 100% on Harris as every other athletic director has ignored it as well, and they were also lampooned for it. However, they all did enough to at least keep it from being ****ing condemned, you ****ing buffoon.

He's the ****ing CEO of the athletic department. If any CEO of any respectable company produced similar results in their field their ass would have been gone long ago.

If Harris isn't actually responsible for anything that goes west of Hudson WHY THE **** DOES HE STILL HAVE A JOB? He's clearly not needed at that point. Hell, Schwab, Jake, Farley, Bobbi, Jacobs, etc. all do their own ****ing fundraising for the tiny updates they get - don't forget our soccer program is using a field on campus that the club teams fundraised for and then they ran a GoFundMe to have something resembling a locker-room.

He announced this 5-year vision, and here we are at the end of the 5 years and nothing inside that vision is done and what was left of the vision to be saved was ****ing taken away from him by the university capital campaign.

What the **** does he, or anyone in that department, actually do? In 4 years of holding the 5-year facilities plan in his hands there was $0 actually raised that anyone knows about. All known donations, which is still only one-half of phase one (and less than 15% of what is actually budgeted), have been raised. The vast majority of those funds are funds that the university didn't know about, meaning their mining efforts are bad. Marilyn Bohl is a UNI graduate that was a software dev for ****ing Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids and the became a senior-level executive at IBM and then wrote 9 college textbooks. How the **** is someone like that not on UNI's radar at all? Even beyond that, she had already donated to UNI in 2020 during the height of the COVID pandemic. How in the flying **** is that not a resource you continue to build relationships with and cultivate?

There's plenty of blame to drown every single member of the athletic department under Mt. Everest levels 10 times over, but the reality is David is the ****ing director. He is the one in charge. Everything goes back to his leadership.

Hell, at this point it's also worth pointing out that Nook probably needs to be looked at as Harris reports to Nook. I know Nook has been informed, MANY TIMES, about concerns and nothing has been done. I have genuine questions/concerns if those two even talk based on what I've seen/heard.

We also can point to the BoR for them looking at what is happening and going "**** it, everything is fine". None of us are shocked by that though as we all know they'd love to see us become nothing but a satellite of UI or completely shut down.
                  You heard it a second time, friends: Harris is not only an AD, he also writes and enforces building codes!

Dude is MULTI- talented!

Comment

• The West Gym is all but closed at this point.

Comment

• I think Pete Moris can be considered a trusted source, so when he says it's truly that bad, I do believe him. That means they need to start working on an on-campus training facility, preferably in the McLeod/Dome/WRC footprint. It also means they we will need to say goodbye to an iconic structure on main campus. What should take it's place? Perhaps a new college of nursing building?

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
                        I think Pete Moris can be considered a trusted source, so when he says it's truly that bad, I do believe him. That means they need to start working on an on-campus training facility, preferably in the McLeod/Dome/WRC footprint. It also means they we will need to say goodbye to an iconic structure on main campus. What should take it's place? Perhaps a new college of nursing building?
                        If we had a competent AD that could do even minimal fundraising we'd have the new facility west of McLeod that would house basketball, volleyball, and wrestling practice areas, training rooms, locker rooms, etc.

That, along with the dome, track, softball, soccer, etc. were on the 5-year plan that was rolled out 7 years ago. My youngest was in diapers and fairly new to crawling when that rolled out. He is starting 2nd grade

Comment

• Why wasn't the University smart enough to turn the old Price Lab into something for athletics, nothing against ROTC it is a great program, but to me that fieldhouse could have been repurposed so easily.

Comment

• Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                            Why wasn't the University smart enough to turn the old Price Lab into something for athletics, nothing against ROTC it is a great program, but to me that fieldhouse could have been repurposed so easily.
                            It's used for cheerleading practice, basketball workouts and probably some other things. But definitely wasn't repurposed the way it could have/should have been.
                            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• I listened to Ethan Petrik’s new podcast with Jim Nelson, and the way they talk, I’ll be surprised if Schwab hangs around. I know he loves UNI, but if your department doesn’t take care of their employees, they will go. They mentioned several times how Schwab’s whole identity is the grittiness of the West Gym and now he doesn’t get to use it at all. I agree with earlier comments that there needs to be a multipurpose practice facility built that can finally help our coaches and athletes compete with other schools preparing and recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
                                I listened to Ethan Petrik’s new podcast with Jim Nelson, and the way they talk, I’ll be surprised if Schwab hangs around. I know he loves UNI, but if your department doesn’t take care of their employees, they will go. They mentioned several times how Schwab’s whole identity is the grittiness of the West Gym and now he doesn’t get to use it at all. I agree with earlier comments that there needs to be a multipurpose practice facility built that can finally help our coaches and athletes compete with other schools preparing and recruiting.
                                We've already lost the facilities race.

We're the only school in the league without a practice facility for MBB/WBB. We're the only school in the league without an on-campus softball facility. We're the only school in the league without dedicated recovery facilities. We're the only team in the league without a modern outdoor track (of the schools that have track).
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X