WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Gym news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Gym news

Ghttps://unipanthers.com/news/2021/11/23/wrestling-season-tickets-capped-for-wrestling-duals-in-west-gym.aspx

i guess this answers some of the debate about where to have wrestling duels.

I understand the nostalgia and history of the west gym, but man i sure do appreciate seats with backs after sitting in there for 3 plus hours.

Comment

The McLeod Center could work for wrestling but you'd have to be creative/spend some money to do it.

If you shoved the mat as far north as you can on the floor, upgraded the lighting so that you can darken the south end and spotlight the mat and used the north concourse as a party deck you might have an atmosphere in there but just putting the mat in the middle and going full bore on the lights just makes it sterile and empty.

I just can't believe that you announce this on November 23rd....
      #MACtion

Comment

Again, I have to ask what's up with the NU High Field House? I hear that we let ROTC use it, but is that really a priority? It's fairly new, can probably hold 1200-1500 with the bleachers that were in it when the school closed, and you could put bleachers on each end for a relatively low cost to make it more intimate and work very well for wrestling. Upgrade the lights paint the walls purple and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
          Again, I have to ask what's up with the NU High Field House? I hear that we let ROTC use it, but is that really a priority? It's fairly new, can probably hold 1200-1500 with the bleachers that were in it when the school closed, and you could put bleachers on each end for a relatively low cost to make it more intimate and work very well for wrestling. Upgrade the lights paint the walls purple and you're good to go.
          I’ve said the same thing since they closed the school. Seems like such a great opportunity to use for athletics in some meaningful capacity and instead, nothing.

And now we get to watch them demolish the West Gym with no alternative. ****ing great.

Just outstanding foresight and leadership by our admin.
          UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
          iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

They've completely remodeled it for ROTC and it's no longer a viable venue for anything athletics related. Giant missed opportunity.

Scroll down a bit on the link to see what they've done.

The Department of Military Sciences offers classes to all students which can serve as elective credit within the normal college curriculum. Students do not require prior military experience or a commitment to the Ar
            #MACtion

Comment

Good grief. I have tremendous respect for the ROTC program, but what a horrible waste of gym space. What they did there could have been done elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
                Good grief. I have tremendous respect for the ROTC program, but what a horrible waste of gym space. What they did there could have been done elsewhere.
                some things take precedence over athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                  some things take precedence over athletics.
                  I'm very glad UNI has an ROTC program. But it doesn't really bring in much revenue or positive marketing for the school, and they could have found a different space for that program. What about the old UNI Museum?

My gripe is you took a space that was ready made for athletics and chopped it up in a way that now makes it a singular use space. And they didn't even do a nice job of it. They left the bleachers in place that will likely never get used, and the old markings on the gym floor going right under the walls. To build a gym space as nice as the NU Fieldhouse would cost $10 million in today's dollars. And it's being used like it's an abandoned big-box store.

Comment

You can read more about the West Gym decision here. I talked to David Harris about it on Wednesday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post
                      You can read more about the West Gym decision here. I talked to David Harris about it on Wednesday afternoon.

Informative. Thanks Dome.

Comment

One of the main issues with the balcony level, according to Harris, was that the railings that separate the upper and lower levels are both not tall enough and the gaps between bars are too large.
                        aren't those the same railings that have been there for years (with the same height and gap difference)? I don't recall there ever being problems with them before

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                          aren't those the same railings that have been there for years (with the same height and gap difference)? I don't recall there ever being problems with them before
                          Paranoid society….

Comment

Plexiglass is really ****ing cheap and there's a **** ton of used stuff out there right now. Just saying....
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                              Plexiglass is really ****ing cheap and there's a **** ton of used stuff out there right now. Just saying....
                              Well, it’s not just that. It is also other balcony level issues.

But Harris couldn’t recall what those issues are.

For an interview with a wrestling blog.

About one of the most-storied buildings under his watch.

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Working...
                              X