WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should UNI start a Women's Wrestling team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should UNI start a Women's Wrestling team?

With the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union officially sanctioning Women's Wrestling as a sport throughout the state, and with women's wrestling being labeled as an NCAA "Emerging Sport," (meaning that it will "becoming an NCAA championship sport in DI if 40 schools add teams in the next 10 years,") is there any reason at all why UNI shouldn't jump on this? I can't imagine it would be that cost intensive, all things considered. It would give us some breathing room for Title IX if we ever wanted to add a new men's sport (please bring back baseball). And with the relative hotbed of talent, we're actually situated pretty well to start competing at a high level. Doubly so if we embrace it, sort of like how we've embraced the dome being the place where the high school football championships live.

Now, I don't know nothing about nothing. That's why I'm asking "Should we?" not stating "We should." It's entirely possible that it'd be more hassle/cost than it's worth. But from what I'm seeing, it looks like a pretty easy decision to me. What do any of you all think?

I like your idea and am all for UNI’s jumping in with both feet. Give IGHSAU some positive reinforcement for its decision. Make a statement for the university. Impress the wrestlers, their families, their communities. Get started now to overcome the inevitable list of reasons why we can’t do this. Then do this.

Comment

We can't handle the basic operations of an athletic department so I have no idea how we add a sport.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        We can't handle the basic operations of an athletic department so I have no idea how we add a sport.
        Rasslin and football seem to be doing ok. Not sure what's wrong in the MacCloud Centa.
        Which winning percentage is better: 61% or 65%?

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          This is a hypothetical where we have a functional athletic department. If we did magically get one of those, would this be a good thing to add?

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

This is a hypothetical where we have a functional athletic department. If we did magically get one of those, would this be a good thing to add?
            Yes. Women's wrestling would be a slam dunk. Provides opportunities, helps with Title IX compliance, easily competitive.

No doubt.
            #MACtion

Comment

Iowa is adding it…

Comment

UNI definitely should jump on this.

They should also be in Jean Berger’s ear about hosting the girls state wrestling tournament.

Comment

Our wrestling arena is crumbling into dust, we cant hire or retain employees in the AD, and attendance, interest, and fundraising of the athletic department is at an all time low.

Zero chance this happens. Zero. No point in even discussing given the incompetence of our department.
                  UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                  iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                    Our wrestling arena is crumbling into dust, we cant hire or retain employees in the AD, and attendance, interest, and fundraising of the athletic department is at an all time low.

Zero chance this happens. Zero. No point in even discussing given the incompetence of our department.
                    Speaking of....

How many survivors were there from being in the death trap on Saturday Night?

I'm no engineer but maybe when the floor got too sloped to play basketball or volleyball in there anymore we should have done something then.....
                    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

As always, dead right, my man!

Take a gander at the fundraising under Schwab and compare that to Penrith is his last few years and I'm certain you'll be amending your uninformed comment AGAIN.
                      Which winning percentage is better: 61% or 65%?

Comment

Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post

As always, dead right, my man!

Take a gander at the fundraising under Schwab and compare that to Penrith is his last few years and I'm certain you'll be amending your uninformed comment AGAIN.
                        Yes, exactly correct. Wrestling does their own fundraising because the AD does JACK **** for the program, including neglecting their facility and going behind their backs to close down the place.

Thanks for proving my point, you brain dead moron.
                        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Even going the non-scholarship route costs would be too high. So, no.

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
                            Even going the non-scholarship route costs would be too high. So, no.
                            Out of curiosity, would it be too high for an athletic department at our level, or is it just because of our less than stellar Athletic Department? Like, if we were fundraising at an SDSU level, 125 million over like 5 years, would it be feasible? Or are we just too small?

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

Out of curiosity, would it be too high for an athletic department at our level, or is it just because of our less than stellar Athletic Department? Like, if we were fundraising at an SDSU level, 125 million over like 5 years, would it be feasible? Or are we just too small?
                              I believe smaller levels do it. I think Grandview has a good women's program. I think people would come to the meets. I don't think our AD would give two shi$$ about it. So, it would fail. I'm sure we have women who wrestled in high school. Do, I think the team would win? Yes. I just think the program would cost too much and would have many operational mistakes.
                              Last edited by BrockLesnar; 01-25-2022, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X