WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Facility Renderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Facility Renderings

New renderings of the proposed facility are out

Very cool to see. That said, if they don't plan a separate locker space that could accommodate a women's team, they are being way to short sighted. You have to include a secondary space like that now so you aren't cobbling something together later (though I know that's how a lot of these buildings get planned).
    If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I agree with having an additional locker room for the possibility of having women's wrestling in the future would be smart planning.

I also wonder if this project wasn't one that had to be so rushed if it would have been a possibility to create a training/practice facility for multiple sports?

Also I have heard that the plan is to build this is the gravel lot SW of the McLeod Center, is this true?

Comment

I see names on the Steering Committee list that I am happy I see.

It would be great - IMO - if they could save the seals from the over the doors entering the West Gym and incorporate them into the new facility in some fashion.

Also, here's a shot of the West Gym I had not seen before:

From the Rod Library Archives (https://scua.library.uni.edu/univers...west-gymnasium).
        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

The Rod Library has such a great collection of the history of buildings on campus, I could start looking at it and waste 3 or 4 hours easily.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
            The Rod Library has such a great collection of the history of buildings on campus, I could start looking at it and waste 3 or 4 hours easily.
            Yep... That is a great time wasting rabbit hole to go down on afternoons when you really don't want to do the work today.

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

It would be great - IMO - if they could save the seals from the over the doors entering the West Gym and incorporate them into the new facility in some fashion.

From the Rod Library Archives (https://scua.library.uni.edu/univers...west-gymnasium).
              That's a really cool photo

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
                Very cool to see. That said, if they don't plan a separate locker space that could accommodate a women's team, they are being way to short sighted. You have to include a secondary space like that now so you aren't cobbling something together later (though I know that's how a lot of these buildings get planned).
                I think the smart move would be to build this with current needs in mind, with the ability to expand in the future if needed. We don't need to build a practice facility for a sport we don't even offer when we still don't have dedicated practice space for men's and women's basketball and volleyball either.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post

I think the smart move would be to build this with current needs in mind, with the ability to expand in the future if needed. We don't need to build a practice facility for a sport we don't even offer when we still don't have dedicated practice space for men's and women's basketball and volleyball either.
                  That's all I'm saying. The under roof space needs layout for a separate locker room. You don't have to finish it now but you do need to get it under the roof. Frankly it should include a team space for study / meetings as well. Again you need to plan for it while you are constructing the building. Adding additional roof space after the initial build will cost multiple times the amount it costs if you plan for it up front. I know they are scraping nickels together to get here but you are going to be in this building for 30 years. You need these things considered.
                  Last edited by UNIAlum95; 02-21-2024, 10:03 AM.
                  If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Pretty easy decision when you consider the fact that we're never adding women's wrestling. If it didn't happen with Monster and the overwhelming public pressure, it's not going to happen.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post

$8-10 million plan for a basketball and volleyball facility went public yesterday. Some progress!
                      Billy Dee says it's time to drop cable like a three-foot putt...

Comment

Originally posted by ofpantherandman View Post

$8-10 million plan for a basketball and volleyball facility went public yesterday. Some progress!
                        Link? Renderings? Announcement?
                        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Link? Renderings? Announcement?
                          Billy Dee says it's time to drop cable like a three-foot putt...

Comment

Thanks!

Bob has gotten more done is 48 days than David did in 7 years.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Please share a link to the Steering Committee list. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X