WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics

I received this from "Big Show" and wanted to pass it along to everyone.

Dearest members of Panther Nation:

My name is Eric Braley and I have some exciting news to tell you. I currently am working on a project to bring more media attention and increase the fan base of Panther Athletics by producing a 30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Each week this show would be packed with interesting interviews with UNI coaches, features on student-athletes and alumni, highlights from the previous week and a preview of the week to come for Panther athletics. Other university athletic departments across the nation currently produce a weekly television show highlighting their sports teams and with the continual success that UNI athletics has had, I strongly believe that the Panthers deserve their own 30-minute show.

First let me tell you a little bit about myself. In 2003 I graduated from UNI with a degree in Electronic Media and last May I received my Masters degree in Mass Communications, with an emphasis on Sports Communication. I have spent a lot of time in front of the camera hosting a television sports show focusing on Cedar Falls and UNI athletics for the Cedar Falls Cable Division the past three and half years. I also have experience announcing sporting events for radio and television, having announced for Cedar Falls athletics, Waterloo Bucks baseball, and currently am the official voice of UNI volleyball and UNI women’s basketball providing play-by-play and hosting the Bobbi Petersen and Tony DiCecco weekly radio shows. The past two years I was employed in the athletics media relations department as the sports information contact for the UNI women’s basketball team, the UNI soccer team and the UNI wrestlers. I have close ties with the UNI communication department as I currently teach as an adjunct professor and also hosts and co-produces the Tony DiCecco show and four “Panther Spotlight” shows on Fox 28.

In a nutshell, I BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD and I know I am qualified to produce and host this new 30-minute sports show!

The WB in Eastern Iowa has agreed to give me a great 30-minute time slot for 40 weeks starting in August 2006 and it is my hope that the WB in central Iowa will pick up the show as well. I will be responsible for getting sponsors to financially support the production of the show.

This is where YOU, the great Panther fans at Panthernation.com can aid in this endeavor. I am asking for your help in generating ideas and leads on sponsors for this weekly 30-minute show that exclusively features UNI athletics. If you know of a business that might be interested in financially supporting the show with a 30-second commercial, title of a segment, or a donation, please send me a private message and we can discuss. With your support we can work together to provide Panther Athletics the much needed media coverage that it rightfully deserves. I already have the support from the UNI athletic department, UNI communication department and WB…the final step is finding sponsors. I am open to any and all ideas and feedback that anyone might have for this show.

Thank you for your support and GO PANTHERS!

Eric Braley

I stand on my chair and applaud you Braley, I've enjoyed your work on Ch-15 for a while, and getting the KWKB to sign off on this is a monumental accomplishment for our alma-mater.

If I have any ideas, they'll certainly be headed your way!

Comment

Eric ...

Very good of you to take on this task. What a monumental undertaking. Good luck, best wishes, God Bless, and Go Cats. (We talked outside City Hall Thursday.) It'll come to you.!
      "Try being more of the solution, and less of the problem."

Comment

Yay, Eric!

On the other hand, we also need local sponsors for women's basketball on KWLO, so if anyone knows of sponsors for that...we could use those too!

Comment

Big Show -

Your user name is truly what this 30-minute show could/should be for Panther fans. A show completely dedicated to UNI Athletics on TV in all of Eastern Iowa could do a heckuva lot for what the panthernation.com posters are trying to do day in and day out .... increase awareness that UNI Athletics are one of the best programs in the nation. I urge everyone on this board to put their thinking caps on and try and help out in getting this show on the air. Numerous folks on this board have mentioned that giving to the UNI Athletic Club is an excellent way of helping out Athletics at UNI, but as we all know it is tough to give back in all cases. For those of us posters that maybe can't give up a hundy to the Athletic Club (or even 50 for those under 30 years old....) here is a way to just put your thinking cap on and shoot an idea to Big Show, mention to a local business that sponsorship opportunities are out there for a show like this, or heck, urge the company you may work for to look into sponsoring the show.

I truly believe this is something that needs to be done for Panther Athletics, and all the Panther fans out there need to be behind Big Show as he continues to push this show onto the airwaves. The words "Panther Nation" were seen all over the place in Chattanooga, which means this site is making a difference and enhancing the buzz around Panther Athletics....a 30-minute show on the WB across all of Eastern Iowa and possibly all of Iowa (!!!) could really do some great things....

Again, anyone with information or ideas, post them or shoot them to Big Show and you will be helping the cause, the growth of "Panther Nation".

Comment

Eric,

I hope this show is a HIT and then I hope other WB stations around the state find it beneficial for them to pikc it up as well. Question for ya: Can I be your Des Moines correspondent?
            "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

Just an update on the 30-minute Panther Sports TV Show that I am looking at starting in August '06. Thanks to great feedback from Panthernation I was able to get an inside connection with the head of the WB in Central Iowa.

I drove down to Des Moines Jan. 11th and met with him and another sales manager and it looks like all systems are a go for the Central Iowa WB (KPWB) to pick up the show in August. IT LOOKS LIKE THE PANTHERS ARE COMING TO DES MOINES! They are tossing around the idea for an 11:30 AM Saturday timeslot for the show. I meet next week with the head of the WB for North Eastern Iowa in Cedar Rapids to figure out what time slot they will give for this show.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT PANTHER NATION!!!!!!!!!!! Please continue to post notes and send private messages with ANY ideas of potential sponsors for this weekly 30-minute panther show. We need SPONSORS to make this show a reality. For more info on this show look on the main home page of panther nation for the link.

Thanks again and GO PANTHERS

BIG SHOW

Comment

Maybe KPWB would like to be the home of Panther basketball in central Iowa? I don't even know if that's possible, I'll never understand all the ins and outs of television. I just know almost all of our road games and a few of our home games are being televised somewhere, so it seems conceivable a station in central iowa could pick them up and broadcast them.

I look forward to this highlight show next fall, but it seems strange to have this when we can't get our actual games on tv. Usually you build up a tv fan base that watches the games and then if those are popular enough a show like this follows.

Nonetheless thanks for your work on this Eric and good luck!
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

I know pretty well that KPWB DOES want to air UNI athletics...but for the most part, only on weekends (that I know of). The issue is with KPWB that they are a WB station, and Fox28 is the flagship of UNI basketball. It is probably unlikely for a WB station in a similar region to get similar television rights as the flagship. I wish this could change, but for right now, having KDSM "piggy-back" on KFXA for UNI programming.
                  The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Actually what major network they are an affiliate of has little to do with it. It's more of the parent companys involved (ownership). The WB in Eastern Iowa picks up most of the Iowa State games that KCRG (ABC) doesn't want to air.

Comment

That's interesting. I haven't heard of that. The difference in this situation is, is that Cyclone games are on ESPN+, so there is no "ABC,Fox,NBC,CBS" name on the games...it's ESPN+. As of right now, KFXA is the only station that broadcasts games (with KDSM sometimes), and thus they are both Fox stations. On the UNI games, there is Fox written on the screen (last I saw) and so there would be "Fox" written on a WB station screen. That's my only reservation about what you had stated. Does that make sense?
                      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Yes, I completely get what you are saying... FOX/28 is the production company putting together the game. I assume the WB could super-impose their logo over it if they were to purchase the central iowa broadcast rights to games.

It would be a little strange, but not unprescidented... for example, the LSU game was shown here on mediacom, however it had the logos of the baton rouge cable company (maybe Cox? I can't remember).

Way back, I remember watching a UNI Playoff football games at Marshall broadcast on KWWL with the local logos and call letters of a different network affiliate in West Virginia.

Comment

You're probably not going to see UNI on the Central Iowa WB station unless KFXA ends their relationship with the Panthers.

KFXA is granted the rights to produce a specific number of UNI games. They are under a very generic opperation umbrella (not owned by the same person, but opperated by the same people) as the current Des Moines outlet, so from a financial standpoint, putting the games on that station makes a TON of sense.

Remember, network affiliation means very little in these situations. Technically, KXEL is an ABC affiliate, and while that doesn't mean as much in radio, it doesn't prevent them from distributing UNI sports to other stations. What DOES matter in TV is clearance. Stations must clear (ie, air) a specific percentage of the programming provided by their network parent. So in the case of KDSM, if they air ANY Iowa, Iowa State or Drake programming, that means they can't air as much UNI stuff, because they have to clear their network inventory.

Comment

Great points News.

Very much along the same lines of my thinking.

Comment

Bottom line of that seems to be we are hosed as far as ever seeing UNI on tv in central Iowa unless they are playing UI, ISU, or Drake. Or in the MVT final or NCAA tourney.
                              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Working...
                              X