WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prospect Primer: Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospect Primer: Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

On the Packers.com site:

"A top prospect viewed as a potential right or left tackle in the NFL, Penning reportedly allowed just one sack and 11 pressures over 12 games in his final season at Northern Iowa. A standout size-wise at 6-7, 325, he was the only offensive lineman named a finalist for the Walter Payton Award, given to the top offensive player in the FCS. Penning generated a lot of positive attention at the Senior Bowl for his nasty streak and through-the-whistle intensity, raising the temperature of the drills and his defensive opponents – many of whom were from Power Five conferences. In short, he more than held his own. He was among 21 FCS players invited to scouting combine where he clocked a 4.89-second time in the 40-yard dash. At 235 pounds in high school, where he played tight end and defensive end, Penning put on the weight to transition to the offensive line. He's now in line to become the first Northern Iowa player ever drafted in the first round."

Link includes video and more stats.

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Campbell and what he's done at ISU, but man if UNI gets a first round pick before ISU.....

Comment

Meh, this will only be Iowa State's 50th consecutive draft without a first round pick. Might be the biggest tradition in sports.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        Meh, this will only be Iowa State's 50th consecutive draft without a first round pick. Might be the biggest tradition in sports.
        Until now, I did not realize that ISU ever had a player go in the first round. Odd pick by the Oilers in '73

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Until now, I did not realize that ISU ever had a player go in the first round. Odd pick by the Oilers in '73
          And then what happened to the Oilers? Proof that if you draft an Iowa State player in the first round you then lose your franchise.
          #MACtion

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
              Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Campbell and what he's done at ISU, but man if UNI gets a first round pick before ISU.....
              On the plus side, we have a representative in the Pro Football Hall of Fame before them, and it's almost assured that UNI gets a representative into the Basketball Hall of Fame before Iowa State does, which is much, much funnier.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                and it's almost assured that UNI gets a representative into the Basketball Hall of Fame
                who is that?

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                  who is that?
                  Nick Nurse
                  #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
                    How is it that they have these NFL quality linemen, but can't move the ball or put points on the board? Ugh.
                    Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                    Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                    - George Halas

Comment

Nick Nurse
                      It's definitely great seeing him have the success he's had.

But is coaching a team to one league championship all it takes to land you in the hall of fame?

Comment

It's definitely great seeing him have the success he's had.

But is coaching a team to one league championship all it takes to land you in the hall of fame?
                        No but doing in freaking Toronto and being one of the most respected offensive minds in the last 25 years does. Plus, I don't think he's done winning championships.
                        #MACtion

Comment

No but doing in freaking Toronto and being one of the most respected offensive minds in the last 25 years does. Plus, I don't think he's done winning championships.
                          Perhaps so. It just seems rather premature to say that his induction is "almost assured"

Comment

Perhaps so. It just seems rather premature to say that his induction is "almost assured"
                            I mean, gotta keep in mind that it's the Basketball Hall of Fame rather than just the NBA Hall of Fame, so it'll take into account that he won multiple D-League (now G-League) titles/COTY, as well multiple titles/COTY overseas, to go along with his NBA title/COTY. He's got that kind of "worked his way up from nothing" narrative that voters love. Not to mention that the Basketball Hall of Fame is much easier to get into compared to something like the Baseball Hall of Fame. I'm not saying that he's in if he retired right now, but unless his career drastically nosedives and he turns out to be a secret a-hole to the press, yeah, nah, he'll be in.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

it's almost assured that UNI gets a representative into the Basketball Hall of Fame before Iowa State does, which is much, much funnier.
                              I'm not sure that's true. With it being a general basketball HOF I feel like a lot of ISU's players with a combined college and pro resumes would be in first.

Comment

Working...
                              X