WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up Next: SMU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up Next: SMU

Remember when we were keeping Tim Jankovich and the Redbirds out of the NCAA tournament, good times. Anyway this is an interesting match up to me, it would be a very nice win for us.

I certainly think this matchup will set season expectations. Win, and I think we're an at-large team, with a decent shot at the rest of OoC games (including X). Lose, and I think we'd have to pull some magic off in Arch Maddness to go anywhere after the season.

From browsing some fourms, it sounds like SMU has some shoddy 3-pt defense, so if we shoot like we did against Alcorn or UNC, we can cruise to victory. Really hope Haldeman is okay by Wednesday, unlikely as it is.

I don't know if I can predict a UNI victory. Like I said, if the three ball falls, we'll win by 20. If not, it'll be rough to watch.

Comment

I didn't get to see the game yesterday, what happened to Haldeman?

Comment

Originally posted by unipanthers8907 View Post
        I didn't get to see the game yesterday, what happened to Haldeman?
        Landed bad on his ankle, had to be helped off. Zero pressure on the ankle.

Comment

He was a boot walking on the football sideline, I would guess sprained ankle and is day to day.

Comment

Looks like SMU doesn't start a guy shorter than 6'3", but they also only play two guys taller than 6'6" (6'8" and 6'9"). I don't know if they have injuries or what, but in their 35 point win over Arkansas - Pine Bluff, they only played 10 guys and two played 2 or less minutes at the end. Basically the same story in their previous game, a 46 point win against NW State. Seems like a winnable game, somebody commented that they play pretty poor 3 point defense, but really they don't seem to have a ton of size inside either. Their big man is a 6'9" freshman, who starts. He's only played 27 minutes combined the last 2 games due to foul trouble (ended each game with 4 fouls). Hopefully Koch can take on the freshman and be successful inside - he's going in with a ton of confidence, so I'm liking his chances if he's strong with the ball and able to pass out of doubles/triples. But, in the end it's about shots falling, hopefully they go down.
            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
              I certainly think this matchup will set season expectations. Win, and I think we're an at-large team, with a decent shot at the rest of OoC games (including X). Lose, and I think we'd have to pull some magic off in Arch Maddness to go anywhere after the season.

From browsing some fourms, it sounds like SMU has some shoddy 3-pt defense, so if we shoot like we did against Alcorn or UNC, we can cruise to victory. Really hope Haldeman is okay by Wednesday, unlikely as it is.

I don't know if I can predict a UNI victory. Like I said, if the three ball falls, we'll win by 20. If not, it'll be rough to watch.
              If we make 3's we win by 20? Really? Isn't SMU legit good?

I would think a win of any kind would be a pretty big one. Am I wrong there?

Comment

Very good team last year. Lost 3 of 4 double digit scorers from that group. 8 new players on the team, so hopefully catching them early in the season is a good thing. Still expected to be good this year. Maybe we can steal a win and hope they gel and have good season/rpi.
                "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post

If we make 3's we win by 20? Really? Isn't SMU legit good?

I would think a win of any kind would be a pretty big one. Am I wrong there?
                  They're young, they could be good by the end of the year, but right now it's possible they're still rough around the edges. Don't know, they've only played tune up games (almost like us). I think we can run it up if we're clickin'.

But this was before I saw that they're rolling with a freshman center. With the way Koch's playing, I'd say feed him.

Comment

Doing more looking, they do have Akoy Agau. 6'8" forward who started his college career at Louisville, then went to Georgetown and now transferred to SMU as a grad transfer. He's been out to start the year with an injury, sounds like they're hoping to have him back for B4A, but aren't sure. Would be another big guy inside for Koch to go against. He played a decent amount at Georgetown, but didn't really put up big stats.
                    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

I really hope that they go all out in the SMU game. The way I see it, with only 9 healthy scholarship players, 2 of whom would normally ride the pine, and they're going to be gassed after this game, regardless of the outcome. So I'm chalking up round two as a loss, whether we play Arizona or NC State. They're just going to be able to throw more bodies then we will be able to respond with.

And I'd rather see a win against SMU and an almost certain loss against Arizona than a loss against SMU and probable loss against NC State.

Comment

I think there is probably a good chance Phyfe is back on Wednesday. Obviously you want to be careful with a concussion, but he wasn't knocked out or even knocked to the ground, so I'm assuming it was a pretty mild concussion. I feel like 9 days is quite a bit of time, although I've never had a concussion so I could be wrong. It's a good thing Wentzien played so much against Chicago St so he won't be rusty going down to B4A. I'm basically counting Haldeman out for the tourney. It seems like a pretty similar situation as last year with Wyatt, except the team didn't know about Wyatt's injury. He goes down to the tourney banged up, makes it worse and ends up out the season. We're probably going to need some good minutes from Tanner, McDermott, and/or McDonnell somewhere along the line too. Totally agree with sevelev though, gotta beat SMU, otherwise you might be looking at a winless tourney.

Comment

Phyfe was cleared for full practice yesterday.
                          "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Bennett should have a good matchup. If we move the ball and defend, I like our chances. Plus, past history says Jake owns Jank.

And I totally disagree with the above, if we would happen to lose to SMU, we win the two games on the backside. NC State is in a bad, bad place with a coaching change and their two best players from last year in the NBA and I think we're just better than WKU and Tennessee.

We're going to be good. Really good. This team is learning and if McCloud and Carlson are aggressive and under control like they were on Saturday we go to another level. We've never had a freshman as ready as Pickford and that includes Ben Jacobson and Seth Tuttle.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                              Bennett should have a good matchup. If we move the ball and defend, I like our chances. Plus, past history says Jake owns Jank.

And I totally disagree with the above, if we would happen to lose to SMU, we win the two games on the backside. NC State is in a bad, bad place with a coaching change and their two best players from last year in the NBA and I think we're just better than WKU and Tennessee.

We're going to be good. Really good. This team is learning and if McCloud and Carlson are aggressive and under control like they were on Saturday we go to another level. We've never had a freshman as ready as Pickford and that includes Ben Jacobson and Seth Tuttle.
                              I hope you are right, but this seems a little overly optimistic at this point. I really liked how we played Saturday, however.

Cant forget that we have real injury issues as well. Wyatt, Hunter, and Spencer all are out or will be limited. Thats puts a lot of pressure and minutes on our young guards to hit shots and stay out of foul trouble.
                              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Working...
                              X