WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI basketball article in The Athletic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI basketball article in The Athletic

Really good write-up on the team and the off-season and our prospects for next season.

You have to go through a paywall to read it, most likely, but IMO a subscription to The Athletic is well worth it. Great writers and articles for all sports, and they have done a really good job of covering not just UNI, but mid-major college basketball in general.

https://theathletic.com/1925933/2020...rce=dailyemail

I see the obligatory Cedar Rapids mention without even getting behind the paywall. In the same paragraph as "Cedar Falls Elementary." I miss fact checking & editors.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
      I see the obligatory Cedar Rapids mention without even getting behind the paywall. In the same paragraph as "Cedar Falls Elementary." I miss fact checking & editors.
      Yeah, I noticed that as well first thing off; I wasn't quite sure if it was a typo at first or not. I suppose theoretically you could commute to CF from the CR suburbs, although that would be a long drive in the winter for a college basketball coach to make.

I haven't been back to Iowa since 2014; is Cedar Falls big enough now to actually have a suburb?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

Yeah, I noticed that as well first thing off; I wasn't quite sure if it was a typo at first or not. I suppose theoretically you could commute to CF from the CR suburbs, although that would be a long drive in the winter for a college basketball coach to make.

I haven't been back to Iowa since 2014; is Cedar Falls big enough now to actually have a suburb?
        I think Hudson counts. There's also richy areas popping up on the west side of town all the time that all have a suburb vibe.

Comment

"Jacobson’s team is built on shooting and scoring." Wow. A few years ago I would have laughed at that sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

Waterloo is CFs suburb. Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

Waterloo is CFs suburb. Lol!
              As a native Cedar Falls resident, I bristle at that comment...
              If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

As a native Cedar Falls resident, I bristle at that comment...
                As of right now, it's not entirely wrong. In the future, with the changing demos, it'll probably swing the other way.

Comment

I agree with the above statement that The Athletic is a quality subscription for sports.

Some highlights from the article:

Really interesting mention in this article about Kimmons playing much more and allowing Green to play off the ball. Green is quoted as looking forward to that possibility as well.

I also thought it was interesting they talked about Born and Heise being significant contributors right away this year.

Praised Cole Henry's ability to pass and handle the ball as a big and encouraging Phyfe to shoot more 3's as well.

Comment

Lost in all the craziness of the past few months, I totally forgot we had an awesome group of redshirt/true freshmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                      Overall, it was a really good piece. Has anyone contacted the author about the Cedar Rapids reference? The Athletic takes pride in the quality of their articles. I'll bet they would fix it if it was brought to their attention.

Comment

Working...
                      X