WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tennis Courts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennis Courts

I see that UNI is getting new tennis courts. 2 questions:
    What is going to happen with the current courts?
    Will this be an outdoor facility exclusively?
    Thanks...
    The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Re: Tennis Courts

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
    I see that UNI is getting new tennis courts. 2 questions:
    What is going to happen with the current courts?
    Will this be an outdoor facility exclusively?
    Thanks...
    I'm guessing it's outdoors only. Guessing only though. I'd think Chris wouldn't want to take it away from the Club, but could be wrong. I'd be curious if it is open for public use or not as I would selfishly love to use it! 😀

Comment

I see that it's a $1.5 million build, with CF schools, CF City, and Blackhawk gaming money being involved. That just seemed fairly expensive for outdoor courts...but I haven't priced them recently!
      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by EVSPanther View Post
        I'm guessing it's outdoors only. Guessing only though. I'd think Chris wouldn't want to take it away from the Club, but could be wrong. I'd be curious if it is open for public use or not as I would selfishly love to use it! 😀
        According to the Waterloo Courier, the new tennis courts will be shared between UNI and Cedar Falls schools and the public is also welcome to use them. The old tennis courts will be turned into green space.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
          According to the Waterloo Courier, the new tennis courts will be shared between UNI and Cedar Falls schools and the public is also welcome to use them. The old tennis courts will be turned into green space.
          The old courts referenced in the article to become green space are those at the Robinson-Dresser complex on 12th near Birdsall Park ... are there any courts left on campus?
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
            The old courts referenced in the article to become green space are those at the Robinson-Dresser complex on 12th near Birdsall Park ... are there any courts left on campus?
            Right off of Hudson Rd by the Towers.

Comment

I assumed the ones by the towers were the ones becoming the green space, that would make the most sense considering these new ones would only be a few hundred yards away.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                I assumed the ones by the towers were the ones becoming the green space, that would make the most sense considering these new ones would only be a few hundred yards away.
                It is actually a joint project between the city, CF Schools and UNI to replace the Robinson-Dresser courts, at least according to this story:

From looking at the Women's Tennis information on the unipanthers.com site, it looks like they hosted meets in Waterloo last season. Did they practice at Robinson-Dresser or the courts by the towers?

(If you are old - like me - or grew up playing on the UNI campus as a kid - again, me - you will remember the courts on the hill west of the PEC and where the Curris Business Building now stands ... the ones behind the PEC were windy but great for late night/early morning tennis and such and the ones where Curris now stands were the best on campus, IMO).

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

They've played all of their home matches indoors in Waterloo for quite a few years now. They may have used Byrnes Park in Waterloo as well.

This is long overdue. Next up as far as non-major projects has to be an outdoor artificial surface that soccer can use for game and football can use so they don't have to go to Waverly all the time.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Is the new facility indoors or outdoors?

Comment

None of the articles I have read mention whether it is outdoors or indoors. It seems more logical that they will be outdoor courts. Also, it looks like it will total up to 8 or 9 courts at the new location.

Comment

Is there any estimated time of completion? Just drove by there today, and no work has actually started on this yet, other than fencing it off. I figure it'd take a year at least, no? Will it be ready for the 2018-19 season?

Comment

Working...
                        X