WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
    UNI VB Twitter feed says "Piper Thomas leads the UNI bench with 4 kills" - must have been a lineup re-shuffle.
    She is sometimes on the bench for the first point (or maybe a the 3 backrow rotations) because Sorge (the libero) takes her backrow spot sometimes. But I don't think that usually qualifies as being "on the bench" in terms of not starting. I could be wrong, though.

UNI did show some improvement today vs. last night, but they still struggled on serve receive at times and had way too many unforced hitting errors.
    And hopefully Karlie Taylor can get some rest this week. She's had 50-60 swings in every match thus far.

Comment

So we are young and thin (not deep) again this year? Getting tired of this. We graduated one person - our setter, but that is not the problem (to my un-trained eye). Koop is doing fine with the inconsistent passes to her. Johnson and Weber would obviously have helped. Still no word here on why Bri is missing? Or is this something that is not for consumption on message boards?
      Josh Mahoney, Ellie Blankenship, Adam Koch, Jacqui Kalen, David Johnson, Madison Weekly = Golden Panthers on and off the court.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
        So we are young and thin (not deep) again this year? Getting tired of this. We graduated one person - our setter, but that is not the problem (to my un-trained eye). Koop is doing fine with the inconsistent passes to her. Johnson and Weber would obviously have helped. Still no word here on why Bri is missing? Or is this something that is not for consumption on message boards?
        I think Bri left because she wanted to go to med school, and is focusing on that. Which stinks for the team, sure, but you can't blame her at all.

Comment

I fully expected there to be a strong chance that UNI would be 0-6 at this point, given the schedule. Being 2-4 is a nice surprise (and having those two wins be over Creighton and Kentucky is nice).
          Those two wins in LA, while awesome, ended up overinflating many peoples expectations for this team (including my own).

There are definitely some areas that need improvement (and this week is really the first time since the season began that they have a few days between matches so that they can work on some things).
          But this team has played 6 matches all against top-30 opponents, and has stood toe-to-toe in all of them. In the 4 matches that they lost, 7 of the 12 sets they lost were deuce (only losing by 2 points, which is the minimum)

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

I think Bri left because she wanted to go to med school, and is focusing on that. Which stinks for the team, sure, but you can't blame her at all.
            She is in nursing school.

Comment

I thought that was her path. Too bad for us that it was after three years. Best wishes to her.
              Josh Mahoney, Ellie Blankenship, Adam Koch, Jacqui Kalen, David Johnson, Madison Weekly = Golden Panthers on and off the court.

Comment

Panthers drop out of the Coaches Poll. Not surprising after going 0-3. Into the "receiving votes" list, essentially #27, just behind Iowa State.
                USC dropped to #10 after a mixed week (big win at Florida, but then losing to UCF). Creighton moved up to #14, Kentucky stayed at #16, Washington State moved into the poll at #23.
                So yeah, UNI's first 6 matches were all against teams in the top 26. a 2-4 record after that isn't too shabby (though it still stings, knowing that it could have been better).

This week, the schedule isn't quite as tough, with the Panthers traveling to David Letterman's alma mater of Ball State, to face Indiana, Ball State, and NDSU. All matches that UNI really should be able to win.
                But then the competition cranks back up in two weeks, as UNI heads to Illinois for a rematch against #14 Creighton, then taking on the Illini (currently ranked #11), and a Lipscomb that knocked off Iowa (not that Iowa is necessarily all that tough, certainly not compared to the teams UNI has faced so far).

Comment

That's a perfectly fair drop. Was expecting more, honestly, but it sounds like they're giving plenty of credit to the SoS.

Comment

Panthers get back in the win column with a 3-1 win at Ball State this morning, and are currently playing the Indiana Hoosiers, winning the first set 25-22, about to start the 2nd set.
                    live audio
                    live stats

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                      Panthers get back in the win column with a 3-1 win at Ball State this morning, and are currently playing the Indiana Hoosiers, winning the first set 25-22, about to start the 2nd set.
                      live audio
                      live stats
                      UNI wins the 2nd set 25-23, but then give up a late 5 point lead (17-12) to drop the 3rd set 22-25. Then the Panthers are able to hold on in the 4th set 25-23 to take the match, evening their season record at 4-4. UNI's Taylor Hedges records a career high 30 digs. On offense, Karlie Taylor once again led the way with 24 kills on 62 attempts, and Piper Thomas adding 18 kills.

The next match for the Panthers is tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m. (CDT) against North Dakota State.
                      Last edited by vbfan19; 09-07-2018, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Is 2pm a time change? The athletic site list that match as being at 1 p.m. Central Standard Time. I know Muncie, Indiana is in the Eastern Time Zone. I was just looking for clarity for the official start time for tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                          Is 2pm a time change? The athletic site list that match as being at 1 p.m. Central Standard Time. I know Muncie, Indiana is in the Eastern Time Zone. I was just looking for clarity for the official start time for tomorrow.
                          wibbly wobbly timey wimey.
                          I was looking at the Ball State schedule, forgot to adjust to local time. it's at 1 p.m. Central

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

wibbly wobbly timey wimey.
                            Doctor Who. Cool.

Comment

Panthers sweep Bizon 25-16, 22, 15. Thanks, NDSU website.

Comment

Karlie Taylor is named the tournament MVP. Kendyl Sorge and Piper Thomas are also named to the All-Tournament Team.
                                Panthers did what they were supposed to do against a bit easier competition this weekend, but the schedule toughens back up as they head to Illinois next weekend:

taking on Lipscomb on Friday morning (4-4 on the year, Pablo ranking of 107, so UNI should be able to beat them, but the Lady Bisons did beat Iowa earlier [yes, they call themselves the "Bisons", even though the correct plural of Bison is "Bison". But at least they pronounce it with an S sound and not a Z, like it is supposed to be].

Then Friday night, the Panthers play the host team: #11 Illini (8-0 on the year, including a win over #12 Washington).

And on Saturday, UNI has a rematch with #14 Creighton.

Comment

Working...
                                X