WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball coaching staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volleyball coaching staff

Kalani Mahi has announced his resignation as assistant volleyball coach at UNI.
    https://unipanthers.com/news/2019/3/...all-coach.aspx

Panther volleyball has been quite fortunate to have had the same trio of talented coaches (along with all of Michelle's work behind the scenes as Director of VB Operations) for the past 15 years.
    Will be interesting to see who joins the staff now.
    Last edited by vbfan19; 03-13-2019, 05:33 PM.

Dang. Certainly wish him the best of luck going forward, but hard to imagine this won't impact the program. His daughter is presently the only other setter on the team besides Koop, wonder if she'll be leaving as well.

Comment

In addition to Kalani Mahi resigning as assistant coach, in the 2019 Roster that was recently put up on the website, Tayah Mahi (who would be a redshirt freshman setter in the fall) is no longer listed, nor is Jamie Sindlinger (who would be a junior OH)

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
        In addition to Kalani Mahi resigning as assistant coach, in the 2019 Roster that was recently put up on the website, Tayah Mahi (who would be a redshirt freshman setter in the fall) is no longer listed, nor is Jamie Sindlinger (who would be a junior OH)
        Interesting. I am going to boldly ask the question that comes immediately to most people's mind. Did Coach Mahi leave due to an issue with his daughter on team or did Tayah Mahi leave team due to father leaving? I know there are always offseason roster changes but not surprised by Mahi no longer on team.

Comment

I've heard that Kalani wasn't thrilled that Tayah wasn't the starting setter from Day 1 last year while Baylee Peterson played all the time. Kind of sounds like there was some fracturing to the relationship and this just took it over the edge.
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
            I've heard that Kalani wasn't thrilled that Tayah wasn't the starting setter from Day 1 last year while Baylee Peterson played all the time. Kind of sounds like there was some fracturing to the relationship and this just took it over the edge.
            Certainly a possibility. Such complications can arise when a coach's kid joins the team.

I wouldn't say that Baylee played all the time. She played in about 75% of the sets, mostly only in the backrow rotations. I don't think Tayah would have wanted to use up a year of eligibility for such a role.
            And I would have been shocked to see Bobbi start a true freshman at the setter position. She seems to prefer to have kids redshirt and spend that first year learning the system and whatnot, especially at the setter position.
            Perhaps there were some team chemistry issues or other factors, or perhaps Tayah (and her dad) felt she may have a better opportunity elsewhere, possibly getting a chance at a starting position this fall (where as UNI will stick with Koop running the offense), or maybe she wants to go somewhere with a sand volleyball program as well. Who knows (other than those directly involved).
            There are all sorts of transfers in collegiate volleyball (and all sports, really), so I'm not going to read too much into it without knowing the facts (which I'll probably never know anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              Sad if true. Such a long time together as a staff sharing so much success, just to be thrown away over a common parent-child playing time squabble. What a shame.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Hate to see early departures but that is part of all sports at the college level. Does this open up two scholarships to complete the roster for next year?

Comment

TK wasn’t a “team” player, not used to structure or discipline. (Mommy didn’t help the situation) She has skills but I don’t think she will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
                    Does this open up two scholarships to complete the roster for next year?
                    maximum number of WVB scholarships a team can have in Div. I is 12. There are currently 10 players listed on the roster, not including incoming freshmen (and excluding the two previously mentioned who are no longer listed on the roster).
                    There are often more than 12 players on the team in any given year, so that would mean that some are walk-ons. (I don't even know if UNI fully funds all 12 scholarships)

Comment

Having coach's kids play on their team does create complications. People will always say that their kids are getting special treatment. I always feel bad for the kids simply because they are in a no win situation. No matter how they perform they will never get the same respect as non coach's kids and will always be scrutinized more.

I feel Bobbi probably had no intention of playing Baylee her freshman year. Bobbi generally does not play freshmen. The team grew thin in certain spots last season due to departures and injuries and next person up was Baylee and she put her in lineup. Coaching decision pure and simple.

In terms of Tayah, if she was the best setter on the team last season Bobbi would have put her in. I assume she needed more development to play at college level which is normal.

Sad to lose a long term coach and any players off our roster. Change is inevitable. I say good luck to those who left and let's turn the page to building a great 2019 team.

Comment

Any updates on who the new assistant coach is?
                        Last edited by panthergirl123; 06-02-2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                          Any updates on who the new assistant coach is?
                          from twitter: Jason Allen joins the volleyball coaching staff as an assistant coach. Welcome to the Panther Family coach Allen!

Comment

Looks like a nice hire and a very good recruiter
                            Go Panthers

Comment

Working...
                            X